Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Is there a power struggle behind the scenes re the new au OC? Is gus having terms for the hire, or, even the hire itself, dictated?

Is whatever autonomy gus had being reduced?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

And that old pearl magic has au at 1-4 in SEC play

Bama has 2 games with au in the next 2 weeks

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

We can hardly be blamed for the fact that a city sprung up around them, making things difficult for their root systems, they did very well to adapt to the ag zone in which they were located, and were just starting to realize what kind of punishment they were taking from the rolling. Your analogy is pretty bad.
Um, no. You can't say you revere trees when your collective actions have been killing them. Slow, fast, whatever. It's just a fact. The corrected analogy is accurate.

You do yourself a disservice by trying to minimize just how heinous this moron's actions were.
I, and every other Bama fan I know, have said that Harvey killed the trees. You, and many Auburn fans, want to ignore how damaging to the trees Auburn tradition is.

Statements like this are a good indicator that you do not. In fact, it makes one wonder if you even have a sentimental bone in your body.
I've never been sentimental about toilet paper, although I do have a preference for two-ply. As for trees, I don't spend my time throwing things at them, cutting their roots, setting them on fire, or power washing them. We must have different definitions of "sentimental." I'm more of a live-and-let-live kind of guy.

And do you really want to go down the rabbit hole of national perspective of our respective fanbases?
By national perspective you mean uneducated opinions from afar? Considering other fan bases are naturally hostile to any but their own, and that Bama is far more successful, and that many people don't even know where Auburn is, I have no doubt that more people are jealous of Bama than of Auburn. Jealousy breeds hatred and bigotry. I don't value the opinions of haters and bigots.

timmer0911

3rd Team
Jan 4, 2005
Mobile, AL

Look, I can't stand Awbarn! I want them to lose every game they play in every sport they play.........I don't apologize for it and I wouldn't expect anything less from the fans that support the Barn. That being said, what Updyke did was a crime and he was convicted. There's no way to spin it to make it less of a crime. The fact that the trees were dying is totally irrelevant!! Do you think that Updyke knew the trees were dying and he was just putting them out of their misery? No! And as a matter of fact, how many of us actually knew those trees were dying?? I didn't.
So, technically we are all dying..........since I consume more alcohol than I should or some people smoke, that makes it less of a crime to kill those people?? Come on man!! It doesn't matter if the trees were going to die or not. Rolling the trees is part of their culture (as messed up as I think it is!), and there's no way to spin it and make what he did less of a crime.
Rant over! RTR
Can we please get the football season started again.......I'm already suffering withdrawals!!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Look, I can't stand Awbarn! I want them to lose every game they play in every sport they play.........I don't apologize for it and I wouldn't expect anything less from the fans that support the Barn. That being said, what Updyke did was a crime and he was convicted. There's no way to spin it to make it less of a crime. The fact that the trees were dying is totally irrelevant!! Do you think that Updyke knew the trees were dying and he was just putting them out of their misery? No! And as a matter of fact, how many of us actually knew those trees were dying?? I didn't.
So, technically we are all dying..........since I consume more alcohol than I should or some people smoke, that makes it less of a crime to kill those people?? Come on man!! It doesn't matter if the trees were going to die or not. Rolling the trees is part of their culture (as messed up as I think it is!), and there's no way to spin it and make what he did less of a crime.
Rant over! RTR
Can we please get the football season started again.......I'm already suffering withdrawals!!
Who said what Harvey did was not a crime? I have repeatedly said that Harvey killed the trees. I'm not aware of anyone claiming otherwise. That's a simple fact, and Harvey could not be punished enough IMO. Releasing poison into that environment is incredibly stupid and dangerous.

I would just like other facts to be acknowledged as well. I have a AU BIL who refuses to admit that Auburn tradition was slowly killing their precious trees. He still regularly wails about how "Alabama murdered our sacred trees." Venture on an Auburn message board and you'll read the same. My BIL doesn't get a pass from me to selectively recall history. I hold everyone else to the same standard.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007

Who said what Harvey did was not a crime? I have repeatedly said that Harvey killed the trees. I'm not aware of anyone claiming otherwise. That's a simple fact, and Harvey could not be punished enough IMO. Releasing poison into that environment is incredibly stupid and dangerous.

I would just like other facts to be acknowledged as well. I have a AU BIL who refuses to admit that Auburn tradition was slowly killing their precious trees. He still regularly wails about how "Alabama murdered our sacred trees." Venture on an Auburn message board and you'll read the same. My BIL doesn't get a pass from me to selectively recall history. I hold everyone else to the same standard.
Thanks Bodhi for having the guts to bring the facts to light.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL

This, all day. And nothing I or MOST posters on this board are saying would be disputed by Auburn's own research into the matter.

I don't think it's minimizing what Updyke did (SEE, I AM saying he did it, just like I did before) to say that the trees were already dying for any number of reasons outlined ad nauseam.

And, it wouldn't be the first time that tradition and sentimentality have been destructive. That's kind of a common phenomenon.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

This, all day. And nothing I or MOST posters on this board are saying would be disputed by Auburn's own research into the matter.

I don't think it's minimizing what Updyke did (SEE, I AM saying he did it, just like I did before) to say that the trees were already dying for any number of reasons outlined ad nauseam.

And, it wouldn't be the first time that tradition and sentimentality have been destructive. That's kind of a common phenomenon.
Yep! I'll 2nd what you said about that Updike guy. However, the celebrating of mediocrity by throwing paper in those trees probably did more harm than that Harvey did.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Has gus been forced to make this oc hire to satisfy the wishes of a select group of aubs?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Thanks Bodhi for having the guts to bring the facts to light.

Please don't compliment Bodhi or like his posts. Goes right to his head.

I do think rolling the trees is dumb. Environmentally it is dumb as Hades. Time for it to come to an end.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Please don't compliment Bodhi or like his posts. Goes right to his head.

I do think rolling the trees is dumb. Environmentally it is dumb as Hades. Time for it to come to an end.
Your average tree farmed for the purpose yields around 100 lbs of TP. The average American uses 50 lbs per year. The the majority of toilet paper tossed after the games is recycled non-acidic tp sold in downtown Auburn. You know, that cheap 1 ply industrial stuff which is usually produced from recycled paper and sawdust scraps from lumber mills, using very little virgin lumber. The lack of acidity also means the trees aren't distressed by the rolling. It's the removal that was unhealthy for them.

You've interacted with me enough in non sports to know I'm all about conservation, but for a given winning season I'd be surprised if AU used any more wood than what you would use to fuel one good sized bonfire. Not exactly clear cutting large swaths of forest to feed the beast.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Yep! I'll 2nd what you said about that Updike guy. However, the celebrating of mediocrity by throwing paper in those trees probably did more harm than that Harvey did.
He dumped a high powered herbicide directly on them in a dose capable of killing them many times over. As harmful as the removal process was, there's really no comparison there.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

There is a fractured power base at auburn

think it is reminiscent of feuding middle eastern warlords battling for power

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

AUDub disagreed with me!! Ban his sorry Auburn butt!! Teaching young people to throw crap all over the place and having others clean it up is not a good thing.

This is an appropriate use of toilet paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.