Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

No. It's not. Trying to analogize it with people or tragedies of much greater scope strains credulity anyway. (Auburn fans are guilty of this to.)
Maybe you don’t understand the purpose of an analogy. It wasn’t my analogy anyway; I just corrected it to show that the damage done to the trees initially and persistently was not some act of God but rather the act of Auburn fans in the name of tradition. The analogy is fine.

I’m glad you admit that the trees are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. They are plants – plentiful and replaceable. I wish your brethren could understand the same context.

Perhaps you prefer an analogy with animals. Say a tradition involves flying a bird around a stadium filled with 80,000 people, which is not something a bird would naturally do. Say this bird occasionally crashed into windows and goal posts. The tradition continues. Say a study is done by the school that says the bird is developing CTE due to continually banging its head. The tradition continues. The bird is now close to death due to head trauma. The tradition continues. Harvey shoots the bird dead. Fans claim they love their sacred bird and Harvey deprived said bird of a long, healthy life. A rational observer would rightly condemn both Harvey and the damaging, circus-like stunt the bird was forced to do throughout its life. Only a deranged fan base would claim to love and view as sacred that which they were slowly destroying.

Still don't get it. Auburn fans mourned the loss of these trees because of what they represent. We don't do it because we're fixated on TP or anything like that. The great thing about college traditions is that most of them do look silly to outsiders. Cowbells. People dressing up like an native-Americans and riding to midfield to throw a flaming spear in the ground. Touching a rock. Having an eagle fly around the stadium. Midnight yell. That's almost the whole point of having them. It's something you do that other schools don't.
I don’t see how one mourns the loss of an object of abuse – unless the mourning is the lost opportunity to abuse. But, now there are new, fresh trees to torment. Party on!

More to it than that. Brian Downing, Harvey Updyke, Michelle Pritchett, Adrian Briskey. I'm not saying it's fair, but incidents like those do tend to color perspective among the ignorant.
Other than Updyke, I have no idea who those other people are. I assume they are Bama fans who behave poorly. That doesn’t even move the needle on my care-o-meter. Any team in any sport in any country that is significant enough to have a fan base has its morons. Some will get carried away by definition. Every team that I am a fan of has dumbarse fans. And so what?

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Goodness, people, y'all need to stop making excuses for updyke. He killed the trees, plain and simple, and if you can rationalize it, you need to step back and make some self evaluations.

I'll caution folks to think long and hard about the University you're supporting and how your posts look to others. We're a tight-knit community here, but posts from here are used by people all over to paint a picture of the UA family. Think before you post.

At this point, I'm sick of seeing this thread revolve around that idiot and his stupidity, so drop it.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Goodness, people, y'all need to stop making excuses for updyke. He killed the trees, plain and simple, and if you can rationalize it, you need to step back and make some self evaluations.

I'll caution folks to think long and hard about the University you're supporting and how your posts look to others. We're a tight-knit community here, but posts from here are used by people all over to paint a picture of the UA family. Think before you post.

At this point, I'm sick of seeing this thread revolve around that idiot and his stupidity, so drop it.
Good with me... :cool2:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Thank you, CA. I never worded it very well but haven't been happy with the way this thread was deliberately run off the tracks into the area it was sent. I don't think that's a coincidence or just happenstance.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Thank you, CA. I never worded it very well but haven't been happy with the way this thread was deliberately run off the tracks into the area it was sent. I don't think that's a coincidence or just happenstance.
did you actually have high expectations for the barn catchall thread? ;)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Seem like you would've thought Auburn would've hired their OC by now. It's not looking good at all for them right now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Seem like you would've thought Auburn would've hired their OC by now. It's not looking good at all for them right now.
I wonder if there's hesitancy by candidates fearing that all Gus wants them to do is run his offense and doesn't want them to have any input of their own? Cuz you know Gus is proud of his offense.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I wonder if there's hesitancy by candidates fearing that all Gus wants them to do is run his offense and doesn't want them to have any input of their own? Cuz you know Gus is proud of his offense.
Coach Saban is proud of his defense. I think there is a long line of people that would like to sign up as the DC. :)

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL

I'm wondering if gus has a fear of hiring someone who could potentially replace him if they have a good audition and perform well?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

aubs now considering Sterling Gilbert of usf as oc

yursisich removes his name

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

aubs now considering Sterling Gilbert of usf as oc

yursisich removes his name
I think the smart OC candidates know it could be a one and done scenario at the Barn with Gussy's seat so flaming hot. I can't say I blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.