Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Hard to believe he would leave ASU and the opportunity to coach Blake Barnett for auburn and Sean White. As I said before he needs to rent rather than buying.
Blake who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Hope he gets that kind of idiocy in check in a way Lashlee could not.
He might because he's been in other places, but Lashlee was always seen as the student/player. Hard for a guy in that type situation to push back compared to someone like Kiffin and Saban.

This seems to be one of Gus' issues. His hires look to primarily focus on former assistants. His network of coaching candidates doesn't look very big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

He might because he's been in other places, but Lashlee was always seen as the student/player. Hard for a guy in that type situation to push back compared to someone like Kiffin and Saban.

This seems to be one of Gus' issues. His hires look to primarily focus on former assistants. His network of coaching candidates doesn't look very big.
Yep and that's the reason I said Lashlee getting away from Gus was a good career move after he left. He needed to untether himself from Gus.

As for Lindsey, I think he's a decent hire. His connection with Gus is relatively tenuous, having only been an analyst for us. Experience is a knock, but he's been doing it out on his own for a few years and has had some really good offenses. Good QB developer. Underrated on the recruiting trail. Overall, we could have done better, but we also could have done a whole lot worse.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Yep and that's the reason I said Lashlee getting away from Gus was a good career move after he left. He needed to untether himself from Gus.

As for Lindsey, I think he's a decent hire. His connection with Gus is relatively tenuous, having only been an analyst for us. Experience is a knock, but he's been doing it out on his own for a few years and has had some really good offenses. Good QB developer. Underrated on the recruiting trail. Overall, we could have done better, but we also could have done a whole lot worse.
How does the rank and file grade this hire?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Why do you need an OC when the AD said this last summer about Gus:

[FONT=&quot]"This entire league is about winning, but right now what we need is stability," he said. "We need somebody here who stands for the right things like Gus does, the best offensive mind in the nation, taken us to two national championships -- which very few in this league can say that's happened to them; only two, I believe. So that's what it's about. It's not about perception. It's not about what the past is; it's about what we need right now moving forward.[/FONT]

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Why do you need an OC when the AD said this last summer about Gus:
Coach Lindsey is known as a good QB coach and passing game strategist, which are by far Gus's biggest weaknesses. Hiring a guy to shore those areas up and take on the play calling responsibility is a good move. That and having someone to point out that putting your fullback in the wildcat and having him do a pirouette is probably a bad idea.

Gus is a good offensive mind when he's not trying too hard. Our base offense can be nearly unstoppable when it gets rolling (we don't keep leading the league in rushing by accident), but some new wrinkles are needed. Coach Lindsey is an Air Raid guy. If we can mesh some of those passing concepts with out current offense, we'll be in pretty good shape going forward.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Coach Lindsey is known as a good QB coach and passing game strategist, which are by far Gus's biggest weaknesses. Hiring a guy to shore those areas up and take on the play calling responsibility is a good move. That and having someone to point out that putting your fullback in the wildcat and having him do a pirouette is probably a bad idea.
Does anyone have a link to this "whirlybird"? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Gus is a good offensive mind when he's not trying too hard. Our base offense can be nearly unstoppable when it gets rolling (we don't keep leading the league in rushing by accident), but some new wrinkles are needed. Coach Lindsey is an Air Raid guy. If we can mesh some of those passing concepts with out current offense, we'll be in pretty good shape going forward.
Gus' offense is just like Hugh Freeze's in that for it to be effective the QB has to be dang near elite. I think a good example is with S.White. He was an "average" college quarterback and even when he and Pettway were healthy y'alls offense wasn't anywhere near "nearly unstoppable". It's an eggs all in one basket type offense, IMO.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Gus' offense is just like Hugh Freeze's in that for it to be effective the QB has to be dang near elite. I think a good example is with S.White. He was an "average" college quarterback and even when he and Pettway were healthy y'alls offense wasn't anywhere near "nearly unstoppable". It's an eggs all in one basket type offense, IMO.
I think our offense was fine while Sean was healthy. We really hit our stride after the LSU game, started calling our offense to its strengths, and Sean was a big part of that. Once he went down the wheels fell off. Healthy Sean we'd have beaten Georgia. And if Gus hadn't tried the Franken-QB and moronic playcalling in the Clemson and aTm games we might have pulled those out too.

We don't need a world beater there, just someone that can stretch the field enough to keep the opposition from loading the box. Sean is adequate in that respect. It's just unfortunate he's made of glass.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

We don't need a world beater there, just someone that can stretch the field enough to keep the opposition from loading the box.
This sounds vaguely familiar. :)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

This morning on the OD good ole' Rush Probst was on there singing the praises of chip lindsey. I lol when he was saying that he told gus this and or that when he watched spring practice. I hope gus was asking for advice because I would love to be there when a high school coach told CNS what he should be doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.