VW in trouble...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nor have I, but I do buy based on the seeming trustworthiness of the company.

Intersting. I've owned VWs in the past, which is why I don't own one now. Almost everyone I know that owns (and even loves) VWs have had some pretty major issues over the years with them, while my Hondas and Toyotas (especially my Land Cruisers) are built like bricks.
Yep. I've owned several, but I'd not consider them again...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
i have a 2011 jetta wagon tdi and love the vehicle. i am assuming my vehicle is one of the ones affected.

this really ticks me off.

interestingly enough, georgia does not require emissions testing for diesel vehicles.
My wife had a 2002 Jetta TDI that was in the shop more often than not. That did it for us.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My wife had a 2002 Jetta TDI that was in the shop more often than not. That did it for us.
I had a bug way back in '64 and a Squareback of early '70s vintage. Both were trouble free. In fact, I sold the Squareback to a medical lab I represented, and they drove it as a delivery vehicle for about ten more years. I'd see it around town from time to time. I bought an Audi then. Boy was that a mistake. It had a Solex carburetor, which was designed with an eye towards meeting the first ramp-up in emissions. Problem was it was rough and stalled a lot in town driving. I don't know how many Saturdays I spent with that carb broken down on my picnic table. The only solution was over-sized jets. However, then, the mileage took a plunge, although it improved the pep by the engine a lot. I traded it in when I'd had it less than two years on a Benz diesel, which is what a drove over the next 30 years. The 2004 Passat, which was Liz's, didn't give major problems until it was about 8 years old. However, I do a lot of my own work and the Passat, to me, seemed to have been designed to be hard to work on. An example is changing a headlight. We were out on Hatteras Island when a headlight burned out. The two wives had had to drive all the way down the island from Norfolk, about a 3 hour drive, with only brights, to the irritation of oncoming traffic. My friend and I went out and bought the new bulbs the next day and I had the service manual with me. The first step is to remove the bumper. I crawled under and Bob said "Earle, I think I can work my hand in there." Turned out that, with his larger hand, he couldn't, but I could. All the other jobs were the same, even little things like changing brake pads. Not my favorite car and glad to see it go...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've never bought a car based on its emissions rating. I'm amused by this story, and if I were in the market for another car, I'd definitely look at a VW brand.

i bought the tdi for the milage and power. looks like once they fix the emissions part, i will lose a bit of milage and power.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Nor have I, but I do buy based on the seeming trustworthiness of the company.

Intersting. I've owned VWs in the past, which is why I don't own one now. Almost everyone I know that owns (and even loves) VWs have had some pretty major issues over the years with them, while my Hondas and Toyotas (especially my Land Cruisers) are built like bricks.
this will likely be the last one i own. i plan to drive it til the wheels come off. i had a 98 tacoma that i had to get rid of because we had a kid. i had it for 13 years and probably would have gotten another 5-10 out of it at least.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i bought the tdi for the milage and power. looks like once they fix the emissions part, i will lose a bit of milage and power.
I think the worry at this point would be whether or not there's a software fix. I'd be astounded if VW hadn't designed the ECU around the fraud. It may require a new ECU, rather than just a reflashing...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
yeah, they had a bad few years for a while. i know a couple of folks in the same boat around that time.
It was an attractive little car and when it did run got around 40 mpg, no hill could slow it down. Between transmission issues and sensors constantly going out, it wasn't worth keeping.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Volkswagen AG conceded it won’t be able sell diesel-powered vehicles in the U.S. for a prolonged period, withdrawing a request for regulators to certify new models in the wake of an emissions-cheating scandal.

The decision to withdraw a request for U.S. certification hits the German auto maker’s U.S. factory in Chattanooga, Tenn., where diesel-powered cars account for about one-third of its output.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswa...o-certify-2016-model-year-vehicles-1444243809

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
this will likely be the last one i own. i plan to drive it til the wheels come off. i had a 98 tacoma that i had to get rid of because we had a kid. i had it for 13 years and probably would have gotten another 5-10 out of it at least.
Please don't jinx my 2001 Sequoia. I've had people in it fairly recently who thought it was new. I keep a pile of hunting gear jammed in it at this time of the year so I don't have to load and unload too much when I get the chance to go out. I've loaded it down with bags of concrete, retainer wall blocks, fencing material and who know's what else; it is out-lasting my body...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
it's a start ;)

not sure how i will spend $500 credit with VW. maybe i will buy a bunch of overpriced coffee mugs at the dealership

the straight up $500 gift card will be nice :)
the window switches from my 993 are a VW part (might be why the break so regularly) and are about 60 a piece you could spend $120 that way ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.