Link: Illinois, democratic state, awards lotto winner with IOU, not check

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The state’s biggest fiscal burden is underfunded retiree benefits, which account for up to 24% of general expenditures, according to Moody’s Investors Service
Where have we heard this before? The chickens always come home to roost.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Heh. Unfunded obligations. Can't they just borrow the money from China to pay the man?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wait a damned minute - they haven't passed a STATE budget?

(Looks up on Internet, sees Illinois has a House that is 71-47 Democrats, a Senate of 59-20 Democrats, and a Republican Governor who has been in office since January......)

So should I conclude they adopted THIS type of tactic from Harry Reid?

And how can you have 'underfunded retiree benefits' in a union state?

Hmmm............

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

(Looks up on Internet, sees Illinois has a House that is 71-47 Democrats, a Senate of 59-20 Democrats, and a Republican Governor who has been in office since January......)

Hmmm............
Alabama's GOP legislators took their sweet time passing a budget and it is a mess as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Apparently there is a HUGE need for Math teachers in Illinois! When you are the house and can't make the lottery pay you have real issues!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Hmmm............
It's obviously due to global warming.....oh, and George Bush

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Alabama's GOP legislators took their sweet time passing a budget and it is a mess as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no problem with this being pointed out, but.....are they giving out IOUs to state lottery winners?

Multiple ones? That kind of press can kill a state lottery.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ruptcy-illinois-edit-0505-20170504-story.html

Puerto Rico is the terrifying Ghost of Illinois Future: a worst-case example of what happens when a government no longer can pay its bills.

The island, an American territory, is weighed down by $123 billion in bond and pension debt it cannot afford. Illinois, meanwhile, has about $130 billion in unfunded pension obligations alone, plus billions more in retiree health care and other liabilities. The circumstances are different, but no government can function properly — indefinitely — under ever-rising debt. Eventually something gives.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Sadly, I think this a very near future for our country in general. I think most states are operating at some sort of deficit, especially if you were to take out all federal funding. Our country itself is $20T in debt, not including all the unfunded mandates that exist. No government can survive with that kind of debt. Greece/Puerto Rico/Venezuela is our future if we don't radically change something and soon.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sadly, I think this a very near future for our country in general. I think most states are operating at some sort of deficit, especially if you were to take out all federal funding. Our country itself is $20T in debt, not including all the unfunded mandates that exist. No government can survive with that kind of debt. Greece/Puerto Rico/Venezuela is our future if we don't radically change something and soon.
Three choices with national debt:
(a) pay it off (in other words, run huge budget surpluses for decades; fat chance with Democrats and Republicans in Washington).
(b) Inflate it away. (The Weimar Republic tried that. It did not work so well. Here is a German woman feeding Reichsmarks into the furnace because they were worth less than coal).

(c) Repudiate the debt. Tell those who bought US debt, "Sorry. We ain't paying the interest on that debt. Heck, we ain't even paying the principal. Suckers." Needless to say, interest rates on loan to the Federal government would skyrocket, if lenders could be found at all. Once a country plays the repudiation card, it must run budget surpluses for decades as lenders are wary of lending money and then having the government repudiate the debt again the next year. How hard would it be for Congress, running budget surpluses when people have unfunded needs?

Repudiate, inflate, or pay the debt. Those are the only options. All are painful. Some more painful than others.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Three choices with national debt:
(a) pay it off (in other words, run huge budget surpluses for decades; fat chance with Democrats and Republicans in Washington).
(b) Inflate it away. (The Weimar Republic tried that. It did not work so well. Here is a German woman feeding Reichsmarks into the furnace because they were worth less than coal).

(c) Repudiate the debt. Tell those who bought US debt, "Sorry. We ain't paying the interest on that debt. Heck, we ain't even paying the principal. Suckers." Needless to say, interest rates on loan to the Federal government would skyrocket, if lenders could be found at all. Once a country plays the repudiation card, it must run budget surpluses for decades as lenders are wary of lending money and then having the government repudiate the debt again the next year. How hard would it be for Congress, running budget surpluses when people have unfunded needs?

Repudiate, inflate, or pay the debt. Those are the only options. All are painful. Some more painful than others.
There's a forth option (although not a good one either):

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.