Black Mizzou players say they'll strike until president Tim Wolfe resigns

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1950 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1950 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 20172018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campuswide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals; particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campuswide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campuswide awareness and visibility.
What are they referring to in item III?

So no people not of color will have input to "this curriculum"? Forgive me if that doesn't seem "inclusive" to me.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
What is the national average for enrollment and faculty? What is considered "reflecting national averages"? What does a state university have to do with national averages?
I'm just pointing out the obvious. The percentage of black students and black faculty at the University of Missouri is less than the percentage of blacks in the United States and in the state of Missouri itself. Such mismatches in numbers are usually used by special interest groups as evidence of disparate impact.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I always judged my teachers by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
if I were the betting type, I'd say he folds like a paper cup
He resigns.
The president of the University of Missouri system stepped down Monday amid criticism of his handling of student complaints about race and discrimination.

President Tim Wolfe said his resignation was effective immediately. He made the announcement at the start of what had been expected to be a lengthy closed-door meeting of the school's governing board. He largely pre-empted that session in a halting statement that was simultaneously apologetic, clumsy and defiant.

"This is not the way change comes about," he said, alluding to recent protests. "We stopped listening to each other."

He urged students, faculty and staff to "use my resignation to heal and start talking again to make the changes necessary."
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/un...ves-over-race-complaints/ar-CC7Z5v?li=BBgzzfc

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
UM president resigns

Tim Wolfe, president of the University of Missouri System, is resigning from his post amid a controversy regarding race relations at the school, he announced in a Monday news conference.Saying he takes "full responsibility for the inaction that has occurred," he asked that the university community listen to each other's problems and "stop intimidating each other."
As an aside, a black friend of mine was offered an appointment at the UM Journalism school several years ago. He spent a several days on campus, and came away, as he put it "appalled at the extent of casual racism" evident on the campus. He passed on the job.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The football team brings in +$35 Million for the university. It was only natural that they capitulate if the football team doesn't show up.

Back to the demands, the first one instructs the president to publicly apologize for racism, admit his white privilege, and the next article of grievance demands he be replaced. Am I reading that right? Apologize, shame yourself and sayonara too?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
UM president resigns

As an aside, a black friend of mine was offered an appointment at the UM Journalism school several years ago. He spent a several days on campus, and came away, as he put it "appalled at the extent of casual racism" evident on the campus. He passed on the job.
Having never set foot on that campus, but knowing how dfificult tenure-track jobs are to come by, that says a lot.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Maybe this will give Mizou a chance to move on. Something tells me that this will embolden some folks and to encourage them to demand more.

Still no settlement in the coal mine dispute at Llanddarog. Miners refused to return to work until the management define a "metope." Meanwhile, at Dagenham the unofficial strike committee at Fords have increased their demands to thirteen reasons why Henry III was a bad king.

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
UM president resigns

I find it strange that they would seemingly embrace Michael Sam if they're so inherently racist.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Here is a time line of what has been going on at Mizzou. Still not sure if this is a pervasive problem or a bunch of hypersensitive whiners.

LINK

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
UM has stepped onto a slippery slope and even my black friends agree...
I watched a video someone posted on line of the UM Prez engaging with protesters at some previous date. They surprised him on a sidewalk on campus, apparently. He did not handle himself well. He spoke with more arrogance than understanding. It would have been better to let his public relations folks handle that encounter.
Who knows, maybe he was close to retirement/moving on, so he said, "What the heck. I don't need this crap. I'll just give and move one, and hope for Mizzou's sake that this blows over."
But you are right, this sets an interesting precedent.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
I find it strange that they would seemingly embrace Michael Sam if they're so inherently racist.
Yes very interesting, and quite contradictory to all I've heard about mizzou and their J-school. Wright Thompson, Russ Mitchell, Pat Forde, Jim Lehrer etc, etc.

I can't wait to hear what Jason Whitlock has to say about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.