Link: Why a Near Sideline Fight on the Verge of Alabama's Shutout Should Scare Clemson

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link
The defense that played angry all season was still fighting mad with a few minutes left in the Blowout Bowl.

Alabama's seniors wanted the shutout badly, and they were not allowing anyone to relax until the clock hit zero — even if staying mean on the field meant picking a fight on the sidelines. So serious was the Crimson Tide about preserving perfection that two teammates had to be forcibly separated with under five minutes to play.

With his team up 38-0, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart had to prevent a fight from breaking out on the Alabama bench.

You read that correctly. Two Alabama defenders nearly came to blows at the Cotton Bowl with their team blowing out Big Ten champ Michigan State like the Spartans were homecoming fodder.

Crazy but true, senior linebacker Dillon Lee and junior safety Eddie Jackson were ready to throw down with the Cotton Bowl all but over. Surrounded by a stadium of raucous Alabama fans already celebrating a trip to Arizona for the national championship, Lee and Jackson looked like they wanted to go 12 rounds.

"We got in a disagreement about keeping our shutout and not letting them drive down and score late in the game," Lee said.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
this game is going to provide an interesting contrast.

dabo is going to go non stop on the "no respect" aspect and have his team hyped to the gills.

our d is going to hear all week how they have trouble with dual threat qb's

our o now knows that we have multiple ways to move the ball.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
As bad as it sounds that two teammates were trying to fight, I like the intensity and the desire it shows. This team is laser focused.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Team reminds me a lot of the 2009 unit. Remember Rolando McClain waving off the gatorade bath at the end of the SECCG? The goals are clear and the team is dialed in...anyone who gets sideways on the goals gets checked.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Team reminds me a lot of the 2009 unit. Remember Rolando McClain waving off the gatorade bath at the end of the SECCG? The goals are clear and the team is dialed in...anyone who gets sideways on the goals gets checked.
Exactly! That was a key moment when something special was brewing.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I'm not sure we have done a Gatorade bath since. Maybe the 2012 NC game. But never a regular season or SECC game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Exactly! That was a key moment when something special was brewing.
And Clemson "over" celebrated their victory yesterday. They may have a tough time getting back into the right mindset to prepare for the championship game.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
And Clemson "over" celebrated their victory yesterday. They may have a tough time getting back into in the right mindset to prepare for the championship game.
I doubt it. They have sort of embraced celebrating along the way. This is all new to them. They were going to have a pizza party win or lose the ACC championship game. If they were to repeat next year the mindset would be different. If they lose it won't be because of a Gatorade bath or Clemsoning. It will be because they faced a superior team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.