Netflix Docuseries: Making a Murderer (will be SPOILERS)

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Finished it last night.

1. Still don't see how there was enough evidence to prove Steven's guilt.

2. Really, really don't see how there was enough evidence to prove Brendan guilty of all three charges other than that pathetic interview.

3. Steve Kratz's arrogance makes it even harder to handle watching Steven and Brendan be found guilty. Just want to punch the guy the way he acts.

4. Pretty clear the media members covering the case didn't believe either was guilty.

I came away with the same thoughts, but also feel like in the end they got it right. I actually felt the entire time I was watching it that he was guilty. It's just a shame that the kid got caught up in it.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Sorry this is an US magazine link, but it was the first I could find that had a good rundown of the Dateline episode from Friday night.

Making a Murderer's 'Dateline' Special Reveals New Interviews, Claims About Steven Avery's Blood

Articles like that, and the Dateline episode bother me greatly when approaching questions of innocence or guilt.

"He poured gasoline on a cat and threw the cat in the fire," the assistant D.A. said. "Pretty telling things about what was going on his mind — violent stuff. He also ran his pickup truck into the vehicle of a woman who was driving by, and he held her at gunpoint."
These have no bearing on his innocence or guilt when it comes to Halbach. Both of those were used as reasons he was "guilty," the first time around, and they're being paraded around as reasons he's guilty this time around.

He was undoubtedly a creepy guy with a shady past. He's not someone I'd want to know. He's not someone I'd want to hang around with or have any interaction with in any possible way. But that doesn't mean he's guilty of killing Halbach. Everyone is into building up narratives without looking at the actual facts.

I don't know how we keep that out of the court room, but we've got to find a way.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I came away with the same thoughts, but also feel like in the end they got it right. I actually felt the entire time I was watching it that he was guilty. It's just a shame that the kid got caught up in it.
Not trying to get into an argument or anything, just trying to understand the other side (I feel like I'm currently on the fence. Possibly guilty, but not enough evidence for me to convict.)

What evidence made you think he was guilty?

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Not trying to get into an argument or anything, just trying to understand the other side (I feel like I'm currently on the fence. Possibly guilty, but not enough evidence for me to convict.)

What evidence made you think he was guilty?

Well, probably need to clarify what I said. I didn't say I could have convicted him on the evidence - not really sure about that and glad I didn't have to. What I have is just a gut feeling after taking it all in. I guess it is possible that he was set up but I don't know how anyone who wanted her dead would have come up with the plan to frame Avery. And I do not believe the cops did it. They definitely planted evidence to make sure they got a conviction though...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I know I'm late on this but I just binged watched the documentary this past weekend. I pretty much agree with the lawyers stance on Avery: I'm not convinced of the innocence of Steve Avery but I'm surely not convinced of his guilt." Every piece of hard evidence - the blood in the RAV4, the key-fob, the bullet, etc was found by Manitowic County Sherriff Department personnel (MCSD). Additionally, the RAV4 which was discovered on the Avery salvage lot, was found within 30 minutes. This is a 40 acre lot with close to 4000 cars on it and the person who "discovers" it very quickly is the same person who was provided a camera and a direct phone line to the MCSD. I don't know if Avery is innocent but there is no way I could find him guilty if I was on the jury. Also, the jury started out as 7 not guilty, 3 guilty and 2 undecideds. How does it go from those numbers to unanimously guilty? Really feel bad for SA because of the way his trial was handled and feel even worse for Brendan Dassey..

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
About time. The state has 90 days to respond in which he could still be retried, but considering the confession was the only evidence hopefully they just let him walk.

Steven Avery's lawyer is filing her new brief on August 29th (unless she asks for another extension). Looking forward to seeing what she has in there. She's been promising a lot on Twitter and in interviews and usually follows through (17 exonerations or so).

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/u...defendants-conviction-is-overturned.html?_r=1

“There is evidence that already exists in the case that points to a different location and a different suspect,” Ms. Zellner said. “We’ve got a combination of forensic evidence and a tip from somebody that we’ve interviewed multiple times that we think is credible.”

Ms. Zellner said new forms of testing could prove that the physical evidence had been planted, echoing a prominent suggestion of the Netflix series. Most of the tests can be done within a few weeks, she said, adding, “It’s possible all of it will be done within 60 days.”

She added: “It may not all be successful, but I believe if even one bit of evidence is planted, the conviction is going to be vacated.”

Ms. Zellner, who is based in Chicago and has helped exonerate 17 people of wrongful convictions, said she was motivated to take Mr. Avery’s case partly because “Making a Murderer” showed the public that law enforcement officials can coerce false confessions.

“I’ve never seen a more graphic, compelling illustration of a crime scene that was fabricated,” she said.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Also that article does mention as well that season 2 filming for Making a Murderer has begun. Hadn't seen that announcement in here yet.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
For those that care a judge has granted Brendan Dassey's release while waiting for his appeal/retrial.

WI Attorney General is trying to block it but unlikely. Most likely will be released today.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Brendan is the young nephew who is now like 27. The state finally agreed to new testing in Avery's case as well which should begin soon.

Season 2 should be interesting with everything that has happened in the last year.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Good. Worst case of railroading of a mentally challenged minor that i can imagine.
Crazily enough one of the state's main arguments against his release was that he had been treated better than some of their other similar child/mentally challenged cases & other cases around the country.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Avery requests new trial, cites planted evidence, false testimony

APPLETON - The attorney for Steven Avery filed a motion for a new trial on Wednesday, claiming that his conviction in the 2005 Teresa Halbach murder was based on planted evidence and false testimony.

"Mr. Avery's post-conviction counsel have completed scientific testing and conducted an extensive re-investigation of his case, which demonstrates that planted evidence and false testimony were used to convict Mr. Avery of the first degree intentional homicide of Teresa Halbach," attorney Kathleen Zellner wrote in a 1,272-page document filed at the Manitowoc County Clerk of Courts office.

She claims that a new trial is warranted "in the interests of justice" and because "the real controversy was never tried."

An email to a Wisconsin Department of Justice spokesperson seeking comment was not immediately returned Wednesday.
‘MAKING A MURDERER’ LAWYER ALLEGES EX-BOYFRIEND OF HALBACH WAS MURDERER [BREAKING]

Chicago lawyer Kathleen Zellner, who claims she will free Making a Murderer subject Steven Avery says Teresa Halbach’s ex-boyfriend is the one who killed her, she alleged in a multi-page petition for post-conviction relief filed Wednesday, June 7.

Zellner claims that evidence points to Halbach’s ex-boyfriend as the killer, and that Calument County District Attorney Ken Kratz, who prosecuted Avery and nephew Brendan Dassey knew Avery did not commit the crime. She alleges that the state destroyed evidence, namely an answering machine tape that proved Avery’s salvage yard was not Halbach’s last stop before she was killed.
His defense lawyer just filed a 1200+ page brief in his defense.

Season 2 should be pretty epic.

Information is still trickling in but there's a Megathread on Reddit's Tick Tock Manitowoc forum for anyone interested.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The state can still decide to retry if they want. Most states would probably go ahead & release but Wisconsin is wrapped up in keeping this one out of civil court as long as they can because they know a giant bill is going to come due.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.