Mel Tucker to UGA as DC

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The write-up goes on to speculate Tucker might not be the only current Bama coach who follows Kirby to Georgia.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This has been in rumbling for a while... but it came from a site that reported that Luposi was set to go to Georgia... I've seen this news here and there, but nothing from major sources just yet. I wouldn't say its 100 percent true.. just little strange with this hiring, since we kept hearing that Mel wanted to go back to NFL at some point. It was between Pruitt and Tucker for DC at Alabama and I think Mel would've got the job if he didnt want to go back to NFL. I wouldn't be suprised to hear Mel leaving to go to Georgia, but turn around and go to NFL this year or next year.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Jamey Barnes who refers to himself as follows on Twitter - "Assistant for Tider Insider|Public Relations major at The University of Alabama" - stated yesterday afternoon:

"Mel Tucker WILL be the next DC at UGA."

TIFWIW

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I just wish these announcements could be made AFTER the game. I hope this won't cause any distractions.
TBF, this wasn't a formal announcement. It looks like it *may* have been leaked. Either way I don't see it as a distraction. It's in every coach and player's best interest to win the game on Monday night whether or not they plan to be at Alabama for next season..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Recruits have been suggesting that Tucker must be leaving for a while. His recruiting has dropped way off.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I mean it makes sense. When we hired him I didn't expect him to stay for more than a year or two. He has too much on his resume not to be a DC somewhere.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
Not surprising news. Wish Coach Tucker the best. Appreciate all he has done in his year at Bama.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Looks like we will need to find a middle linebackers coach. Pruitt I'm assuming will resume coaching the DB's like he did before. Anyone know of any early candidates? Maybe the Hoover head coach?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I'm confused and admit it. It is certainly reasonable hat Tucker take the DC job in Athens. It was reasonable that Lupoi was leaving, Kiffin leaving, Cochran leaving, Cristobal, too, etc.

Should the heading have a question mark or "report says" or some such to avoid the implication it is a done deal?

Maybe he goes, maybe he doesn't.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ugh! Hate losing Coach Tucker.....

How about Bill McGovern -- former DC at Boston College -- who has been with the Philadelphia Eagles for a couple of years as the Linebackers Coach......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.