Sports Writers Are Using The Wrong Grammar When Discussing The Tide

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I guess this has been stuck in your craw for a while now, eh?
:biggrin:

However, I'm with you. I think the vast majority of the time is should be "the Crimson Tide has", as the vast majority of the time the phrase is referring to the team or program as a whole, not as a collection of individual players.

So, why not just substitute the phrases "the team", "the program", and "the players" in the appropriate instances and use what would be correct in those cases???

In 2016 so far, the team has won 10 games.
In 2016 so far, the Crimson Tide has won 10 games.

Since 2008, the program has won 108 games on the field.
Since 2008, the Crimson Tide has won 108 games on the field.

This season, the players have sacked opposing quarterbacks 40 times.
This season, the Crimson Tide have sacked opposing quarterbacks 40 times.
This is what I used to do and one day my wife asked me why I didn't just do it the way I wanted to instead of trying to make the people in Ivory Towers happy. I decided she was right, so now I am set free from the bondage of grammar.

This is what I used to do and one day my wife asked me why I didn't just do it the way I wanted to instead of trying to make the people in Ivory Towers happy. I decided she was right, so now I am set free from the bondage of grammar.
I'm strapped down to it.

Tide = singular
Tides = plural

Until we start saying Crimson Tides I will always contend that it it is Tide is.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.