News Article: Dabo and Clemson Being Sued by Freedom from Religion Foundation

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Didn't think this needed to be on the football board since it is not about football. Looks like this group has also sued Alabama and Auburn for the chaplaincy programs too but to no avail. So really its much ado about nothing. Chaplaincy programs are voluntary. I serve as the chaplain for our HS football team. It is not required so students don't have to come. If he were making it mandatory I would, even as a Christian, take issue with it.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/01/clemson_lawsuit_planned_group.html#incart_river_home

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Didn't think this needed to be on the football board since it is not about football. Looks like this group has also sued Alabama and Auburn for the chaplaincy programs too but to no avail. So really its much ado about nothing. Chaplaincy programs are voluntary. I serve as the chaplain for our HS football team. It is not required so students don't have to come. If he were making it mandatory I would, even as a Christian, take issue with it.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/01/clemson_lawsuit_planned_group.html#incart_river_home
interesting this coming back up now. We had a huge thread on it back when this first came up

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
interesting this coming back up now. We had a huge thread on it back when this first came up
I almost posted it in that thread. I guess they're trying to ride the coat tails from last night. If they had won I'm sure some national publications would have picked it up already. But since they lost not quite as big of a story. Looks like this group has had little to no success with this type of lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I almost posted it in that thread. I guess they're trying to ride the coat tails from last night. If they had won I'm sure some national publications would have picked it up already. But since they lost not quite as big of a story. Looks like this group has had little to no success with this type of lawsuit.

its a very highly successful group that has done some fantastic work helping to attain and maintain the separation of Church and State that was critical to many of our founders visions for America. On this particular issue I think its a bit early to say whether or not they will have success.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
its a very highly successful group that has done some fantastic work helping to attain and maintain the separation of Church and State that was critical to many of our founders visions for America. On this particular issue I think its a bit early to say whether or not they will have success.
Have you seen the ad they have started running? It was on the debate last night and I saw it again tonight on CNN.

It features Ron Reagan (son of the former president) speaking about being a lifelong atheist who is not afraid of burning in Hell.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/debate-democrats-google-ron-reagan-atheist.amp

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Have you seen the ad they have started running? It was on the debate last night and I saw it again tonight on CNN.

It features Ron Reagan (son of the former president) speaking about being a lifelong atheist who is not afraid of burning in Hell.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/debate-democrats-google-ron-reagan-atheist.amp

a sentiment I share

funny as I hadn't seen it this go round but I believe the ad itself is a few years old. I sent FFRF a few bucks every now and again to balance the universe against the money my inlaws send to the American Family Association

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If they are for the separation of church and state, why aren’t they going after schools with Muslim prayer rooms? Oh, that’s right, because it’s optional, just like these Chaplin programs. This a joke of a law suit that has failed at a number of other colleges and will fail here. If it is optional, it’s not against the law. Just like how high schools can have Christian organizations on campus like FCA, Jewish groups and Muslim prayer rooms. If you are not forcing people to take part, than what is the big deal?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If they are for the separation of church and state, why aren’t they going after schools with Muslim prayer rooms? Oh, that’s right, because it’s optional, just like these Chaplin programs. This a joke of a law suit that has failed at a number of other colleges and will fail here. If it is optional, it’s not against the law. Just like how high schools can have Christian organizations on campus like FCA, Jewish groups and Muslim prayer rooms. If you are not forcing people to take part, than what is the big deal?

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item/22144-islam-pushing-prof-gets-ffrf-attention

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly the only issue I have with FFRF is that sometimes they either take an event way out of context or just present it out of context to say for example " prayer is still in school in the south". They made a real big crap storm near where I live about a completely voluntentary participation for a summer christian event that the school allowed the organizers to use. It had nothing to do with school, but they presented it as such.

Other than that I have no issues. Im a believer, but I believe firmly in the seperation from church and state so we need organizations that monitor infractions.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Honestly the only issue I have with FFRF is that sometimes they either take an event way out of context or just present it out of context to say for example " prayer is still in school in the south". They made a real big crap storm near where I live about a completely voluntentary participation for a summer christian event that the school allowed the organizers to use. It had nothing to do with school, but they presented it as such.

Other than that I have no issues. Im a believer, but I believe firmly in the seperation from church and state so we need organizations that monitor infractions.
I agree, the do get a bit over zealous at times

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I agree, the do get a bit over zealous at times
Would you compare them to PETA? An organization with a noble purpose that gets headlines when they go overboard?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.