Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For some reason Dabo reminds me of Auburn. Lots of Ra Ra. Too much to suit me right now. Dabo is definitely a good coach and a good recruiter, but I have a long memory and it includes his part in a painful episode.

I may be in a better mood about him in a couple of years, but so far I don't think he is a fit for Alabama.
My question is will folks on his band wagon change their mind when he is without the best QB in college football. This could be like Auburn when they had Cam Newton... When he left things kind of started falling apart, while they searched for the next great one...
Everyone keeps mentioning him without Watson, but he has proven to be a better than the majority of college coaches even without him. So there is really no comparison with a program that hasn't had back to back 10 win seasons since the 80's to one that has had 6 straight and counting. Dabo is also in probably in the best pool of good coaches within a conference, and before we go "what about the SEC" consider that Dan Mullen is probably the 2nd best coach in the SEC wheras with the ACC your second best has a NCG and your 3rd and 4th best are Petrino and Richt . So he isn't this vastly overrated coach like malzhan and chizik who wouldn't have any credibility without one once in a lifetime player. He may not win another NC but he will be a better than average coach even without Watson. Can't say the same for goose malzhan.

Last edited:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
No. I do not want him at Alabama.

The Dabo coaching style will have extreme peaks and valleys. He's too emotional. Too animated. Too loose with his players. The emotions and personality he displays is a trickle down effect. Eventually he'll lose some of the players and there'll be turmoil within. When this happens and he's able to gather the masses then I'll be impressed. But he won't. IF he sustains the current level of success I'll be surprised. Very surprised. And willing to eat crow.

RTR!!!

Nailed it, insofar as my sentiments are concerned...

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I know plenty of people who are very outspoken with their faith. Some you can tell are legitimate, others are obvious frauds. I tend to be naturally wary of people anyway, so I tend to be as doubtful of over the top Christians as I am of politicians.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Like others, I think Dabo is better served at Clemson. I'm not sold on his coaching ability without Watson as his QB. They would have lost a few more games without him to bail them out and would have never made the playoffs imho. I also wonder about his ability to recruit, and if what he learned in the Dubose era comes in to play there. Time will tell, and I think next year will be eye opening...good or mediocre.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
My attitude for him as our coach has not changed. I am very happy for Coach Dabo and proud he was the coach of the team that beat us. I have always liked him as a person and ex-player.
The fact Auburn hates him so much is another reason to like Dabo. I'd hate for him to become Auburns coach. He has an excellent gig where he's at. Clemson is a good job.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's no different for Saban. The abrasiveness and down right rudeness he has acted toward people over the years has been tolerated because of his winning.

It's different. At least from my perspective. Consistent. Calculated. Purposeful.

being on a power trip and his natural abrasive personality traits coming out.

No denying it's a power trip. But that's a normal trait for any CEO. And make no mistake. He IS a CEO of the highest magnitude.

I wonder if you would have the same opinion if the results were like Auburn's? My guess is no. Again, winning makes us view people's tactics through a different, more accepting lens. When the winning stops the behavior just becomes annoying and a burden. You compare it to a CEO. I've worked for CEO's with very similar traits of Saban. As long as shareholder's and partners made money everyone accepted the behavior and just attributed it to "That's why we're successful." Yet when things turned south and the behavior stayed the same. You know, the behavior that was attributed to the success. They were shown the door not far afterward because people couldn't bear to work with them.

I wouldn't trade Saban for any football coach in the country. He's arguably the greatest we've had. But I also know that the reason we're winning is not because he goes on power trips and berates people for little to no reason, which has happened plenty over his career. But that trait gets grafted into his "reason for success".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Dabo cares too much about what is said about his team to work here. If he can't handle "Clemsoning" or Colin Cowherd flapping his gums, he's not cut out to handle the media scrutiny that comes with coaching one of the top 5 programs in this sport's history. When you're at Clemson - sorry Clemson fans - nobody around the nation is really talking about you unless you're playing FSU, the random "up" ACC team of the year, a big OOC game, etc. We know this is true, how else does Watson not have at least one Heisman Trophy? When his team dropped the Pitt game, nobody questioned him as a coach in the national media. Same thing happens at Alabama right now, people are gonna start the "has the game left Nick Saban behind? HE'S DONE" song and dance.

He's got the right personality for his current station. He can get away with it being the coach of a "little guy power." He goes to Alabama, the media will eat him alive for the same statements and I think he cares too much about it to get through it like Nick Saban/Gene Stallings types who don't really give a dang what anyone outside the staff thinks about the team.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
How much of your acceptance and approval of it is influenced due to the outcome (National titles, conference titles, winning 10+ games every year)?

I wonder if you would have the same opinion if the results were like Auburn's? My guess is no. Again, winning makes us view people's tactics through a different, more accepting lens. When the winning stops the behavior just becomes annoying and a burden. You compare it to a CEO. I've worked for CEO's with very similar traits of Saban. As long as shareholder's and partners made money everyone accepted the behavior and just attributed it to "That's why we're successful." Yet when things turned south and the behavior stayed the same. You know, the behavior that was attributed to the success. They were shown the door not far afterward because people couldn't bear to work with them.

I wouldn't trade Saban for any football coach in the country. He's arguably the greatest we've had. But I also know that the reason we're winning is not because he goes on power trips and berates people for little to no reason, which has happened plenty over his career. But that trait gets grafted into his "reason for success".
How much of your acceptance and approval of it is influenced due to the outcome
Most all of it. Because the outcome is a result of the package. I wouldn't work for him. There would definitely be a personality conflict.

I wonder if you would have the same opinion if the results were like Auburn's?
No. Is this a trick question? The result could never be the same as the barn. That's been proven over the last 10 years.

I also know that the reason we're winning is not because he goes on power trips and berates people for little to no reason
True. The tirades are usually because he vehemently dislikes wasted time and having to repeat himself week to week, presser to presser, reporter to reporter. And I'm sure he has bad days just like the rest of us that sets him on edge at times. He also uses this platform to send messages to coaches, players and media in general.

Obviously we have a difference of opinion and/or tolerance for the way CNS conducts business. I'll just respect your view and agree to disagree.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Dabo cares too much about what is said about his team to work here. If he can't handle "Clemsoning" or Colin Cowherd flapping his gums, he's not cut out to handle the media scrutiny that comes with coaching one of the top 5 programs in this sport's history. When you're at Clemson - sorry Clemson fans - nobody around the nation is really talking about you unless you're playing FSU, the random "up" ACC team of the year, a big OOC game, etc. We know this is true, how else does Watson not have at least one Heisman Trophy? When his team dropped the Pitt game, nobody questioned him as a coach in the national media. Same thing happens at Alabama right now, people are gonna start the "has the game left Nick Saban behind? HE'S DONE" song and dance.

He's got the right personality for his current station. He can get away with it being the coach of a "little guy power." He goes to Alabama, the media will eat him alive for the same statements and I think he cares too much about it to get through it like Nick Saban/Gene Stallings types who don't really give a dang what anyone outside the staff thinks about the team.
He sales his underdog upbringing very well. It resonates well with alot of recruits. But he also comes across as a person who is not completely comfortable in his own skin and maybe a little bit of insecurity about whether he belongs at this level. Hence the reason you call out anybody and everybody who questions your track to success which you have to admit was kinda dumb luck. Not a career coach who got washed out in a recruiting scandal at a major program thus out of football selling real estate only to go from WR coach to head coach not even a coordinator. People have a right to discuss and question his path because it's atypical.

Alot of programs can benefit from the underdog promotion. But Alabama ain't one those programs and virtually all the recruits who want to go to Bama aren't going there because they consider themselves underdogs no they think they are the best and want to play at the best program.

I envision a Dabo led Bama program having some early success maybe even a national championship only to end badly with roster entitlement or some other sort of scandal. For most folks going back home may sound and feel like a good idea but success away from home doesn't always translate to success back at home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

BINGO! This is my main reason why I don't think he would cut it at Alabama (over the long haul). He acts like an "hourly employee" worrying about every little thing said in the break room. When he's supposed to be the CEO of the company and worry about things that actually impact his program. Good post.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
BINGO! This is my main reason why I don't think he would cut it at Alabama (over the long haul). He acts like an "hourly employee" worrying about every little thing said in the break room. When he's supposed to be the CEO of the company and worry about things that actually impact his program. Good post.
This is well said. I won't push the analogy any further but we will always need a CEO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Not for me. I don't want ANYBODY that was on that 2000 staff any where near our program, I don't care good they are doing today. In addition, even if he is squeaky clean now, Dabo is not ready for a job at a blue blood program like ours anyway. Remember, he now has the same amount of NC's as Gene Chizik does.

Last edited:

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
If Coach Saban were to leave today, Dabo would be at the top of my list. Anyone that we hire after Coach Saban is going to be perceived as a step down. Dabo has brought a top level of consistency to the Clemson program and has maintained that while he has been there (6 straight 10 win seasons) plus the National Championship has elevated his stature even more. He just has a different style than Saban but that doesn't make it wrong. I really didn't like Saban while he was at LSU and a lot of you didn't either but once he came to Bama, he became our Coach and I love him now.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Like others, I think Dabo is better served at Clemson. I'm not sold on his coaching ability without Watson as his QB. They would have lost a few more games without him to bail them out and would have never made the playoffs imho. I also wonder about his ability to recruit, and if what he learned in the Dubose era comes in to play there. Time will tell, and I think next year will be eye opening...good or mediocre.
I don't think anyone who was on that staff should EVER become HC at Alabama. That staff brought a lot of GRIEF to Bama alumni and fans!

If I recall pressure was brought by alumni and FANS to hire that HC, you know the hand clapper. Bama just needs to always hire the BEST. Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Gene Stallings, and Nick Saban were NOT UA graduates and they were great hires! Just HIRE the BEST in the future and we won't have any problems.

Now, Coach Bryant was a UA grad, but he was SPECIAL and UNIQUE.

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I don't think anyone who was on that staff should EVER become HC at Alabama. That staff brought a lot of GRIEF to Bama alumni and fans!

If I recall pressure was brought by alumni and FANS to hire that HC, you know the hand clapper. Bama just needs to always hire the BEST. Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Gene Stallings, and Nick Saban were NOT UA graduates and they were great hires! Just HIRE the BEST in the future and we won't have any problems.

Now, Coach Bryant was a UA grad, but he was SPECIAL and UNIQUE.
While it's true that he was an Alabama alumni, he also was a proven commodity based on his rebuilding three moribund programs, Mayland, Kentucky, and Texas A&M. It wasn't amateur hour with Coach Bryant, as it was in the case of DuBose, and for that matter with Shula. Even Curry had better credentials than that pair and out perfromed them as well. As for Dabo, while he is certainly a proven commodity, for me the thought of anyone from the DuBose staff ever again being associated with the program is utterly disgusting.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Thanks! I'd add that his strong faith may not play well here either. Not with the local fans, of course, as many Alabamians have similar view on the Christian faith as Dabo. The way some of the things he does will be scrutinized more by national groups if he does it while the HC at the University of Alabama. For example, he baptized a player after practice once at Clemson. He does it at Alabama, we're probably gonna have an ACLU lawsuit coming at us over 14th amendment protected class violations ("creating a hostile environment non-Christian religious groups amongst student-athletes at a public institution"). Everything he does here will be seen by a larger group of people even outside the sports sphere.

I mean no slight at Clemson - "oh they're small potatoes" - it is just a reality that when you're at the Alabama's, Michigan's, Ohio State's, Oklahoma's, Southern Cal's of the world the scrutiny is different than at schools like Auburn, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, etc. You've got to think you're the BMOC when employed at those legendary programs. If you go around acting like an slighted underdog, the media will slam you the second you slip up. You start acting like a Baptist minister, the secular part of the country will turn their noses up at you and question your actions in the role of a public university employee.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Thanks! I'd add that his strong faith may not play well here either. Not with the local fans, of course, as many Alabamians have similar view on the Christian faith as Dabo. The way some of the things he does will be scrutinized more by national groups if he does it while the HC at the University of Alabama. For example, he baptized a player after practice once at Clemson. He does it at Alabama, we're probably gonna have an ACLU lawsuit coming at us over 14th amendment protected class violations ("creating a hostile environment non-Christian religious groups amongst student-athletes at a public institution"). Everything he does here will be seen by a larger group of people even outside the sports sphere.

I mean no slight at Clemson - "oh they're small potatoes" - it is just a reality that when you're at the Alabama's, Michigan's, Ohio State's, Oklahoma's, Southern Cal's of the world the scrutiny is different than at schools like Auburn, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, etc. You've got to think you're the BMOC when employed at those legendary programs. If you go around acting like an slighted underdog, the media will slam you the second you slip up. You start acting like Baptist minister, the secular part of the country will turn their noses up at you and question your actions in the role of a public university employee.

I thought about this exact example. It got a little play when it happened but NOTHING on the scale it would have if it were to happen at Alabama. They would have live new crews from every major media outlet (sports and non sports alike) if he would have done that at Alabama. I think he's a great fit for Clemson and if he's smart. He will remain there and build his legacy there, outside the shadow and footprint of The University of Alabama. We can admire each other from afar. :biggrin2:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Without rehashing what others said, or going in to things that happened in 2000, I don't want Dabo sniffing our program.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I do admire what he's done. He's got a good redemption underdog story and it will make a good biography one day. He simply will not work here. I don't think he can handle the local sports media, national sports media, general national media, and NCAA scrutiny that comes with this job. There is something to be said for finding a place that fits you like a glove. Dabo has found that place in Clemson and I hope he has a long run of continued success there.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
No attitude shift at all when it comes to Swinney. No thanks! Their fan base, fueled by him, is the most obnoxious and classless group of fans I know.
Here is something I haven't seen commented on. As about everyone has seen, Coach Saban walked all over the stadium for almost 3-minutes to congratulate the winning coach. Why did he have to seek out DS, and not visa versa? Winning coaches 99% of the time make a point to be the one to meet the opposing coach for a hand shake.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.