Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I lived there for 12 years...Tommy Bowden upped the recruiting dramatically during his tenure, but could not keep their respect/attention. I'm not sure why....Dabo had a full house when he took over and they loved his enthusiasm. He parlayed that into even better recruiting. They've run a pretty clean program -- as clean as any I know. They have an academic support program second to none that gets any player a degree if they at least try their best. Not all bad...
My SIL pretty much agrees with you that the program has the rep of being squeaky clean, and, as I said, he's no fan of theirs. I guess, because of Dabo's association with Dubose and that regime, and his extraordinary success in recruiting, there will always be remaining doubts. It should be remembered that Saban tried to hire him - twice, and they are good friends who socialize in the off-season. I do chuckle when I remember that Dabo's reason for turning him down was not wanting to work that hard because of his family... I wonder how many hours he's putting in now with the whole HC responsibility...

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
As I said, I've changed my mind a bit. However, what CA has said is true - we don't really know what the real conditions at Clemson are. However, I've gotten curious enough that I'll investigate a little. One of my SILs lives in Greenville, SC. He's an AU grad and no fan of Clemson and he will know what the general reputation is around there...
I was a no on Dabo until recently. My reason is that there just seems to be no one capable of replacing CNS. The hit we will take in recruiting alone will be tremendous unless we hire a big name. Lord knows the media will try to bury Bama when he does retire.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The perception from Gamecock fans has been that Dabo is a bit of a clownish buffoon. He’s all rah-rah with players and sometimes comes across as more of a cheerleader than a coach. Fair or not, he’s been pegged as more of a great recruiter and motivator and manager and less of an Xs and Os coach. Now I have no idea if that’s perception or reality, though if you watch him on sidelines he does not seem to be overly engaged in down-to-down play calling, but is involved in the big decisions.

Clemson fans of course think he’s the best coach in the nation and that all the clown-act, drunk frat boy stuff is BS and really just Dabo motivating the fan base.

My take is that both are right and both are wrong. Dabo is both a rah-rah cheerleader who comes across as clownish at times, and he’s a great coach (there’s just no denying that anymore). The best comparison I can come up with is to envision a young Lou Holtz without the lisp.

On thing about him is he is recruiting 24/7/365. Everything he does and says is with recruiting in mind. When he delivers Christmas hams to widows he makes sure cameras are rolling and ESPN knows about it. When there are spontaneous baptisms at practice he makes sure the local paper of that top recruit whose parents are devout Southern Baptist runs a nice story in the Sunday edition. It doesn’t mean his actions aren’t sincere, but he never, and I mean never, misses an opportunity to turn something into a recruiting op.

I went thru having Lou Holtz as coach at USC, and while I’m not a huge fan of that style of corny rah-rah stuff, I certainly supported him and pulled hard for his teams while he was here, and recognized that underneath all the schtick was a good coach whose players loved him. Dabo falls into this arena IMO.

As for recruiting issues, if there are any they've not been made public. He seems to recruit within the rules, but he does have a reputation for negative recruiting. Things like providing parents and/or recruits articles of crimes in Columbia and other competing school towns. He was quoted as telling recruits that clemson was the "Christian school in the state". He supposedly sent parents articles about an opposing coach caught urinating on the streets. He allegedly told Clowney's mom that Clowney would end up in jail if he went to USC. So while he seems to follow ncaa rules, there does not appear to be much he's not willing to do or say within the rules to land a recruit. But anyone thinking he's the only coach out there doing that is naive.

Anyway, that’s a local SC take from a non-insider.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I believe that squeaky clean image is well crafted by Dabo and others at Clemson. Color me skeptical- I guess I have just seen too many examples of the "squeaky clean christian do- gooders" that almost always seems to be proven to be not exactly as it seems. Look-Dabo is a a great American success story- and yes Nick did tried to hire him a couple of times before he was the man in charge at Clemson. Something tells me the IPTAY organization at Clemson may assist Dabo along the way.
My SIL pretty much agrees with you that the program has the rep of being squeaky clean, and, as I said, he's no fan of theirs. I guess, because of Dabo's association with Dubose and that regime, and his extraordinary success in recruiting, there will always be remaining doubts. It should be remembered that Saban tried to hire him - twice, and they are good friends who socialize in the off-season. I do chuckle when I remember that Dabo's reason for turning him down was not wanting to work that hard because of his family... I wonder how many hours he's putting in now with the whole HC responsibility...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I lived there for 12 years...Tommy Bowden upped the recruiting dramatically during his tenure, but could not keep their respect/attention. I'm not sure why....Dabo had a full house when he took over and they loved his enthusiasm. He parlayed that into even better recruiting. They've run a pretty clean program -- as clean as any I know. They have an academic support program second to none that gets any player a degree if they at least try their best. Not all bad...
I was a no on Dabo until recently. My reason is that there just seems to be no one capable of replacing CNS. The hit we will take in recruiting alone will be tremendous unless we hire a big name. Lord knows the media will try to bury Bama when he does retire.
As we have seen with Les Miles replacing CNS at LSU, if someone is a "decent" coach and a good recruiter like Miles, they can continue to win for years.

I know that Dabo has grown as a coach, but I think he's a genuine person and the recruits seem to love him.

Put the two together and I believe if we were replacing CNS right now, Dabo would have the first right of refusal.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
The things you list Dabo doing in the last paragraph of your post really do not make me feel any better about him."Christian school in the state'? Wow. Just do not agree with using religion in that matter to recruit.
The perception from Gamecock fans has been that Dabo is a bit of a clownish buffoon. He’s all rah-rah with players and sometimes comes across as more of a cheerleader than a coach. Fair or not, he’s been pegged as more of a great recruiter and motivator and manager and less of an Xs and Os coach. Now I have no idea if that’s perception or reality, though if you watch him on sidelines he does not seem to be overly engaged in down-to-down play calling, but is involved in the big decisions.

Clemson fans of course think he’s the best coach in the nation and that all the clown-act, drunk frat boy stuff is BS and really just Dabo motivating the fan base.

My take is that both are right and both are wrong. Dabo is both a rah-rah cheerleader who comes across as clownish at times, and he’s a great coach (there’s just no denying that anymore). The best comparison I can come up with is to envision a young Lou Holtz without the lisp.

On thing about him is he is recruiting 24/7/365. Everything he does and says is with recruiting in mind. When he delivers Christmas hams to widows he makes sure cameras are rolling and ESPN knows about it. When there are spontaneous baptisms at practice he makes sure the local paper of that top recruit whose parents are devout Southern Baptist runs a nice story in the Sunday edition. It doesn’t mean his actions aren’t sincere, but he never, and I mean never, misses an opportunity to turn something into a recruiting op.

I went thru having Lou Holtz as coach at USC, and while I’m not a huge fan of that style of corny rah-rah stuff, I certainly supported him and pulled hard for his teams while he was here, and recognized that underneath all the schtick was a good coach whose players loved him. Dabo falls into this arena IMO.

As for recruiting issues, if there are any they've not been made public. He seems to recruit within the rules, but he does have a reputation for negative recruiting. Things like providing parents and/or recruits articles of crimes in Columbia and other competing school towns. He was quoted as telling recruits that clemson was the "Christian school in the state". He supposedly sent parents articles about an opposing coach caught urinating on the streets. He allegedly told Clowney's mom that Clowney would end up in jail if he went to USC. So while he seems to follow ncaa rules, there does not appear to be much he's not willing to do or say within the rules to land a recruit. But anyone thinking he's the only coach out there doing that is naive.

Anyway, that’s a local SC take from a non-insider.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't love Dabo as a person but I would absolutely take him as HC at some point. As long as there is nothing crazy that isn't public knowledge I don't know why wouldn't want him as a HC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The things you list Dabo doing in the last paragraph of your post really do not make me feel any better about him."Christian school in the state'? Wow. Just do not agree with using religion in that matter to recruit.
You see how his words could have been twisted though. If he's talking to parents who are religious, he could have told them the environment at Clemson is Christian friendly or that he personally tries to mentor his boys in their Christian faith.

Could he had said what is alleged? Sure. Could his words have been twisted or misrepresented? You can bet that happens in recruiting!

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I'm not a fan of using one's faith as a recruiting tool, particularly to the point Dabo does it. that said, I don't think doing so automatically means the faith is not genuine. There are things he's said and done away from football that would lead me to believe he is sincere in his Christian beliefs. The Bowden family very much used their faith as a recruiting tool. Again, I'm not a fan but it's not illegal and in many case it is effective.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It worked well for Hugh Freeze.

Religion & money. Some how the two can not be separated. Mix that with college football...Boom, powder keg.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Anyone who would use their faith to further a secular career is an ecclesiastical pimp...period.

As a minister I avoided doing business with those who advertised themselves as a Christian business -- they tended to use their faith as a cover for unscrupulous doings.

I prefer the Amish model -- where when the Amish farmer was asked if he was a Christian, he replied, "Go ask my neighbors...see what they say."

Thus endeth the sermon...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Anyone who would use their faith to further a secular career is an ecclesiastical pimp...period.

As a minister I avoided doing business with those who advertised themselves as a Christian business -- they tended to use their faith as a cover for unscrupulous doings.

I prefer the Amish model -- where when the Amish farmer was asked if he was a Christian, he replied, "Go ask my neighbors...see what they say."

Thus endeth the sermon...
I say that all the time with a slightly different twist - those who wear their religion on their sleeve, usually have something to hide.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I do not know Dabo so I have no idea what he wants as a legacy. He has built Clemson into a great program, and has no long shadows of great past coaches to over shadow him. Kind of like Bobby Bowden at FSU and Spurrier at UF. It takes a special guy to follow Saban. To coach at Bama you are always going to be compared to Bear and Saban, that is all there is to that.This will take a Saban like coach, one who will forge his on way and not be haunted by past coaches. Not all can do that. The one bad thing about this amount of success, is it is almost a no win situation for whoever follows Saban. I would not want that pressure on top of the pressure of just trying to win at this level. I do not know any coach at this time I would say is a clear "GOT TO GET HIM" type coach. This is why AD's make the big money, to find that guy. Good luck on that. Striking lightning for a 3rd time is not going to be easy.
In addition to Bear and Saban, you'll be compared to Stallings, just because Stallings won a NC, and I think this would be a big deal for Dabo. As a 'Bama kid forever, obviously Dabo idolized Bear. Coach Stallings is also very, very special to Dabo as Stallings really took Dabo under his wing and gave him a chance, and a lot of mentoring when Dabo was a GA and trying to find his place. I had a few classes with Dabo then and he LOVED Stallings. As others have said, Dabo and Saban have a good friendly relationship and are social in the offseason.

Now, it could sound like a lot of pressure to follow all that, but look at it another way.

Win ONE National Title, just ONE and your Alma Mater will put a statue of YOU in the same place as your childhood idol, your most significant professional mentor, and a good friend. Seriously, ONE NC and you will be forever linked to all three of them. If I was the AD, that's how I'd sell it to Dabo. I'd even have an artist mock up what it would look like down at the stadium where it would be...

In that light, could you turn that down?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In addition to Bear and Saban, you'll be compared to Stallings, just because Stallings won a NC, and I think this would be a big deal for Dabo. As a 'Bama kid forever, obviously Dabo idolized Bear. Coach Stallings is also very, very special to Dabo as Stallings really took Dabo under his wing and gave him a chance, and a lot of mentoring when Dabo was a GA and trying to find his place. I had a few classes with Dabo then and he LOVED Stallings. As others have said, Dabo and Saban have a good friendly relationship and are social in the offseason.

Now, it could sound like a lot of pressure to follow all that, but look at it another way.

Win ONE National Title, just ONE and your Alma Mater will put a statue of YOU in the same place as your childhood idol, your most significant professional mentor, and a good friend. Seriously, ONE NC and you will be forever linked to all three of them. If I was the AD, that's how I'd sell it to Dabo. I'd even have an artist mock up what it would look like down at the stadium where it would be...

In that light, could you turn that down?
Good points, plus, if he can win a NC at Clemson and have them playing in 3 straight CFPs, who among us doesn't think he couldn't do that at Bama???

To his credit, he built Clemson off the decent foundation Tommy Bowden had laid. If he inherited the rock solid foundation CNS has built, Dabo ought to be able to win big immediately!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My attitude toward Dabo has changed.
I think he's too 'Rah Rah' to suit my taste.
BUT
Dabo has proven himself to be a great coach.
(Great coaches are scarce)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I guess my real point was he has built Clemson and is the MAN, why become or try to become one of the MEN. He has it all at Clemson, he has nothing left to prove, he is there forever if he wants it. Then again he may like the challenge, I do not know. If it were me, there is to much downside to Bama in Dabo's spot. I would stay and enjoy what I built. Then I am not him, I really do not care one way or the other. All I can say if he comes he better win and win big, I am used to titles and most fans are. So there is that, winning will be all he is judged on, by fans. If he cannot win and win big he will be gone. And lets face it, you lose here right after Saban you cannot cry program was down. Not like taking over UF or UT. You lose here now and your career is set back a decade.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I guess my real point was he has built Clemson and is the MAN, why become or try to become one of the MEN. He has it all at Clemson, he has nothing left to prove, he is there forever if he wants it. Then again he may like the challenge, I do not know. If it were me, there is to much downside to Bama in Dabo's spot. I would stay and enjoy what I built. Then I am not him, I really do not care one way or the other. All I can say if he comes he better win and win big, I am used to titles and most fans are. So there is that, winning will be all he is judged on, by fans. If he cannot win and win big he will be gone. And lets face it, you lose here right after Saban you cannot cry program was down. Not like taking over UF or UT. You lose here now and your career is set back a decade.
This is why I personally believe he stays at Clemson. However, that doesn't mean he won't be pursued by Alabama and my guess is the day CNS announces his retirement will be the day a phone call is made to Clemson, SC from Tuscaloosa. Bama will make him turn them down and probably turn them down multiple times before looking elsewhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.