Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sounds like Dabo might have a similar situation as we were in with Jalen and Tua. The freshman QB is supposed to be a great passer...not sure how great compared to Tua....but Kelly Bryant was exposed against our great defensive scheme.

Wonder how Dabo manages it.
I doubt that Bryant will win that job next year. They have a great QB coming in.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow, if this is the definition of “dirty recruiting” by Dabo, then he’s a lightweight at it. Lol, I don’t see anything wrong with this. If that’s what sways a kid, I think the kid was already wanting Clemson.
I consider it 'dirty recruiting' anytime someone takes a shot at another program in hopes of helping their own. you shouldn't feel the need to attack another program rather than simply selling your own.

Just like in business - if you mention the competition, it's the same thing as admitting you're behind them...

No one at Bama cares what I think, but I'm still a solid 'no' on Dabo.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sounds like Dabo might have a similar situation as we were in with Jalen and Tua. The freshman QB is supposed to be a great passer...not sure how great compared to Tua....but Kelly Bryant was exposed against our great defensive scheme.

Wonder how Dabo manages it.
Not only Lawrence, but Hunter Johnson is a solid QB, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Clemson will be back in the playoff next season as well. Three of those four beast of defensive linemen are coming back. K Bryant will not be the starter. The Lawrence kid is getting rave reviews and more than likely Clemson will have a more pro style passing offense next season. The Lawrence kid can rip it all over the field. Like Dabo said going into the Sugar Bowl. These two teams (Bama/Clemson) haven't seen each other for the last time. I think he's right.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Recruiting against a sixty-six year old coach would make it hard to avoid mentioning the rival's age or whether he would be around to coach the guys being signed. I don't like that it is now being done to us, but it seems like fair game.

If Dabo keeps Clemson hanging around the top five until Saban retires I think an offer to him will be in order, although I don't like his style. It's hard to sustain success, Dabo is doing good in that department, but hopefully we've got more time to judge.

I'm of the opinion that is offered, Dabo would first thank God, and be willing to walk to the job from Carolina to accept.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I consider it 'dirty recruiting' anytime someone takes a shot at another program in hopes of helping their own. you shouldn't feel the need to attack another program rather than simply selling your own.

Just like in business - if you mention the competition, it's the same thing as admitting you're behind them...

No one at Bama cares what I think, but I'm still a solid 'no' on Dabo.
We share the same mindset regarding mentioning other "businesses" when trying to promote "yours". I'm also not a fan of inserting the divine every time a microphone is stuck in one's face and trying to convince me that God had a hand in which combo meal they ordered in the Burger King Drive-thru.

But I also have to ask myself is the aspect of negative recruiting (which doesn't break any NCAA rules) such a big deal that we potentially pass on what is otherwise a helluva coach? Because I firmly believe it is very common practice on the recruiting trail. Even by our staff. Nick Saban himself may not use those tactics, but I have zero doubt that we've had people on the staff and more than likely have people on staff now who do it. Kirby Smart is prime example number one. I highly doubt Kirby just started implementing negative recruiting when he became UGA's coach.

Regarding Dabo, I'm not a fan of some of his quirks off the field and the rah-rah, "Jesus is a Clemson fan" type methods. But outside of proof that he is breaking NCAA rules and running a truly dirty program. I would be willing to put up with the quirks. Because he has proven to me he can recruit, develop and coach at a very high level. It also appears he's not a flash in the pan, "one hit wonder" type coach. He's one of the best coaches in the country and more than likely hasn't hit his prime as a HC. We can hire just about anybody and win ten games (possibly 11) at Alabama. But we can't just hire "anybody" to win championships on a consistent basis. Sure, you'll have your instances where coaches like Gene Cheeznips win one here and there. But it's the "Saban", "Meyer" type coaches who keep bringing you back there on a consistent basis. Dabo's "only" won one, but he is showing the signs of developing into one of those elite few who can bring greatness to a program.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We share the same mindset regarding mentioning other "businesses" when trying to promote "yours". I'm also not a fan of inserting the divine every time a microphone is stuck in one's face and trying to convince me that God had a hand in which combo meal they ordered in the Burger King Drive-thru.

But I also have to ask myself is the aspect of negative recruiting (which doesn't break any NCAA rules) such a big deal that we potentially pass on what is otherwise a helluva coach? Because I firmly believe it is very common practice on the recruiting trail. Even by our staff. Nick Saban himself may not use those tactics, but I have zero doubt that we've had people on the staff and more than likely have people on staff now who do it. Kirby Smart is prime example number one. I highly doubt Kirby just started implementing negative recruiting when he became UGA's coach.

Regarding Dabo, I'm not a fan of some of his quirks off the field and the rah-rah, "Jesus is a Clemson fan" type methods. But outside of proof that he is breaking NCAA rules and running a truly dirty program. I would be willing to put up with the quirks. Because he has proven to me he can recruit, develop and coach at a very high level. It also appears he's not a flash in the pan, "one hit wonder" type coach. He's one of the best coaches in the country and more than likely hasn't hit his prime as a HC. We can hire just about anybody and win ten games (possibly 11) at Alabama. But we can't just hire "anybody" to win championships on a consistent basis. Sure, you'll have your instances where coaches like Gene Cheeznips win one here and there. But it's the "Saban", "Meyer" type coaches who keep bringing you back there on a consistent basis. Dabo's "only" won one, but he is showing the signs of developing into one of those elite few who can bring greatness to a program.
That's where I'm at.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Of those available (assuming he'd be interested in Bama) if, heaven's forbid, we needed a new HC today, I think Dabo would be the best our there to continue our position at the top of the college football world. If he can do it at Clemson and maintain it for several years, I think he could at Bama too....and probably with more championship results.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Regarding Dabo, I'm not a fan of some of his quirks off the field and the rah-rah, "Jesus is a Clemson fan" type methods. But outside of proof that he is breaking NCAA rules and running a truly dirty program. I would be willing to put up with the quirks.
I'm still stuck in the late 90's over here, I guess...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I’m pro-Dabo when that time comes. Also pro-Pruitt if he has enough success at 11ersee. Dabo has proven he can recruit players and coaches and fundgiving boosters & keep it together at a high level over many classes . Many dont like his rahrah but unlike many coaches it is genuine plus his love of UA is so clear.

JMHO. * not an official TF stance :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Also pro-Pruitt if he has enough success at 11ersee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's a delicious thought. If Pruitt proves to be a winner and up to coaching major program...for the Tennessee fans to see UT finally get back on track and then have the hero who led them back jump to Bama when Saban retires...if Fulmer is still alive, that might well put him under.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It does feel like the window for Dabo is starting to close. He's getting older, and more entrenched where he is at. Losing in the playoffs might have bought some time (it would be hard to pry him away from a program he won two NCs at), but it just feels like the timing on this won't be right.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Clemson will be back in the playoff next season as well. Three of those four beast of defensive linemen are coming back. K Bryant will not be the starter. The Lawrence kid is getting rave reviews and more than likely Clemson will have a more pro style passing offense next season. The Lawrence kid can rip it all over the field. Like Dabo said going into the Sugar Bowl. These two teams (Bama/Clemson) haven't seen each other for the last time. I think he's right.
No doubt in my mind Clemson will be back in playoffs. The ACC sucks regardless of what people think and Clemson is the best in that conference. Bama/ Georgia/barn etc would roll thru that conference ....just as easy or easier than Dabo does.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.