Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I thought his team was well prepared last night and played their butts off. That said, no my opinion hasn't changed and in fact worsened listening to his post game presser. He had enough excuses and blame game to last a long time.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
IMHO, DS is growing up on the big stage...he is a great guy, wonderful motivator, etc., but has to learn that you don't whine and complain...be gracious and take the high road.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I do not think that Earl will want to provide specifics about Dabo's time at Bama under Dubose. It really seems that he was far more involved with the transgressions under the Dubose regime although that was perhaps never made public. That is my guess here. And his recruiting success at Clemson ( all the while wearing his religion on his sleeve) is pretty interesting.
Can you provide some specifics?

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
He came off as a big whiner last night with the onside kick. I do like the passion, but there's a fine line between inspiring your team and looking like an amateur who is being swallows up by the moment.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I do not think that Earl will want to provide specifics about Dabo's time at Bama under Dubose. It really seems that he was far more involved with the transgressions under the Dubose regime although that was perhaps never made public. That is my guess here. And his recruiting success at Clemson ( all the while wearing his religion on his sleeve) is pretty interesting.
Thanks for the reply. All I really remember from the Dubose era was he seemed to invoke God a lot all while boinking an employee. I have no recollection of Dabo.

Edit - also a lack of over-site concerning Albert Means

Last edited:

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
It is very interesting that Dabo thought he was going back to Bama as an assistant when Price was hired. He did get strung out and even had a call with Coach Mal Moore who told Dabo to wait to hear from Price after the annual coaches' convention. I think that was Mal's way of buying time to make sure that Price knew not to hire him because of his role under Dubose. I find it very ironic that Dabo is at Clemson when it was the Clemson AD who said we were looking down the barrel of a shotgun. After that, I have no respect for Clemson nor have I ever cared for Dabo.... He is still the same emotional crybaby he was going back to his preteen years.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
My problems with him go back to the role he played in the Dubose regime. I'm unconvinced he's changed, despite the Bible-thumping...
I tend to be firmly in the no Dabo camp...

Having said that, I'm not sure what the best alternatives are. Kirby is a Georgia guy if he succeeds, and beyond Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, there just hasn't been another dominating coach in college football since Pete Carroll left for the NFL. Even Kiffin seems like a long short alternative down the road (if he goes somewhere as a head coach and shows maturity/success). I just don't see someone that I'd want to replace Saban with right now (not that I 'd want to replace him with anyone, but there's no one I'd be enthused about).

So, I think Dabo needs more on his resume. I think he needs to show he can win without Watson, but... if he does? I imagine that could win over people and their well warranted hesitation when it comes to Dabo.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I don't care for the public bible thumping and the way his players talked trash right up till the game. He either condoned that, just didn't care or thought there may be some benefit to it. I don't like that kind of behavior or a coach that allows it and I do believe he could stop it. I would not be happy with him as the Alabama coach.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I tend to be firmly in the no Dabo camp...

Having said that, I'm not sure what the best alternatives are. Kirby is a Georgia guy if he succeeds, and beyond Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, there just hasn't been another dominating coach in college football since Pete Carroll left for the NFL. Even Kiffin seems like a long short alternative down the road (if he goes somewhere as a head coach and shows maturity/success). I just don't see someone that I'd want to replace Saban with right now (not that I 'd want to replace him with anyone, but there's no one I'd be enthused about).

So, I think Dabo needs more on his resume. I think he needs to show he can win without Watson, but... if he does? I imagine that could win over people and their well warranted hesitation when it comes to Dabo.

Maybe you need to take a look at his overall record and rankings again and go back and look at Clemson's final rankings before Dabo. I understand a lot of folks don't care for his antics but you can't deny what he has done on the field. And this is Watson's first full year to start so he has done pretty well with other qb's as well. He recruits talent and he produces on the field. All the other stuff will certainly work against him in some folks minds and that's understandable. I'm not campaigning him to succeed CNS and I personally think he would be a fool to come back to Bama and follow CNS but he is certainly a qualified head coach if you are in the market. My personal opinion is that we won't even have to worry about this for another 5-6 years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe I have no heart, but I don't care for my head coach doing this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks for the reply. All I really remember from the Dubose era was he seemed to invoke God a lot all while boinking an employee. I have no recollection of Dabo.

Edit - also a lack of over-site concerning Albert Means
Let me assure you that, when any staff member makes a statement on here, it has backup, even if it can't be released to the public. You are perfectly free to disbelieve it, if you want, but I think that all of us have been pretty accurate. Perhaps a board with staff you can really trust?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Let me assure you that, when any staff member makes a statement on here, it has backup, even if it can't be released to the public. You are perfectly free to disbelieve it, if you want, but I think that all of us have been pretty accurate. Perhaps a board with staff you can really trust?
I wasn't doubting you or anyone. Simply asking a question to understand better.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I thought his team played well and his staff coached well. He has elevated the stature of Clemson and done a good job there - but I believe Earle when he speaks this clearly. I do not think he is a good fit for us.

Who would want to succeed Saban anyway ? Talk about destined to fail, by comparison.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
First off I don't want his style of offense at bama. No need for it when you can recruit prostyle athletes and game manager QBs. this offensive system has disastrous results if you can't get a high caliber athlete at QB who also has equal amounts of poise under pressure. Even these athletes are capable of having off days. Just imagine what would have happened last night if DW had at about 80% of his level last night? I think you would have seen the national dynamic change on the idea of the spread offense and I would argue it's already changing to a degree.

Secondly, provided he has similar to better success at Georgia than Richt, I would say we would have a better chance at pulling kirby back even though Georgia is his Alma mater. Kirby has seen the level of commitment Bama will make to win at a high level. I believe kirby will also come to learn as Richt did, that Georgia's commitment to achieve the same is not on the same level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
First off I don't want his style of offense at bama. No need for it when you can recruit prostyle athletes and game manager QBs. this offensive system has disastrous results if you can't get a high caliber athlete at QB who also has equal amounts of poise under pressure. Even these athletes are capable of having off days. Just imagine what would have happened last night if DW had at about 80% of his level last night? I think you would have seen the national dynamic change on the idea of the spread offense and I would argue it's already changing to a degree.
Signing Blake Barnett and Jalen Hurts suggests the offense is going to continue to evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Since this isn't NS, I won't spout my thoughts on "plastic" Christians. (To borrow a Frank Zappa phrase.)

So, I'll just say, no, NO, NO!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I believe it was stated last night that CNS tried to hire Dabo at least once (maybe 2 or 3 times?). Whatever happened in the past must not have been a big issue for CNS if he tried to hire Dabo. I will stick with my prediction a few weeks ago, when CNS steps down Dabo will be on the short list of candidates. He might not be offered the job, he might not even want the job, but I believe he will get serious consideration. A lot can happen between now and then, Dabo could flame out at Clemson. Kiffin might leave to be a HC somewhere and be in a good spot to take the job. Same for Pruitt. McElwain might prefer Bama over UF. There is no way to know what might happen but if CNS retires tomorrow then IMHO Dabo is the short list of candidates to replace him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.