Attitude Shifts About Dabo? - Page 5
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Re: Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

Dabo is a great coach but he isn't Bama material. Bill Clark IMO...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

I still like Dabo..even though he doesn't understand the onside kick.

Love this picture

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Nope. Like I said before, I respect what he was able to accomplish this year, but I would NEVER want him within 100 miles of Tuscaloosa.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Second Team knowledge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Dabo still reminds me of an Amway guy. I don't like his personality but that's really my perception and problem, I suppose.
    Yeah, there is an aspect of coaching that requires selling your team and brand to recruits and boosters, but a gifted salesman comes across as genuine. Dabo comes across as a salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark. View Post
    Maybe you need to take a look at his overall record and rankings again and go back and look at Clemson's final rankings before Dabo. I understand a lot of folks don't care for his antics but you can't deny what he has done on the field.
    I did just that. He's 75-27 at Clemson. Now that's not quite Les Miles at LSU good (112-32 which was almost good enough to get fired), but it's pretty good. Then I remembered he coached in the ACC, the weakest major conference. So what is so darn special about that record?

The fact is he still hasn't won the big game, he still hasn't knocked off a top 2 team and up until this year his resume was completely hollow. He did what, win the ACC with 4 losses? That makes a guy something special? Sorry, he hasn't done anything special outside of this year and that was with Watson.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Anyone who has any sources at all understands that, when you reveal a source, you lose it forever, aside from betraying a confidence or friendship. You can question other members, but it's pretty useless to query staff members about their sources...
    He wasn't asking about your sources. He was asking what Dabo's involvement was.

BamaNation Second Team

I still think he is a very good coach. coach Saban would not have tried to hire him, and CGS would not speak so highly of him, if this wasn't the case.

BamaNation First Team

I was totally surprised they hired Dabo as their HC. Good for him, but I wouldn't hire him if I was an AD. And based on the Dubose years, most everyone on that staff was dysfunctional and had personal and professional issues. Very questionable staff at best. Lots of rumors that are more fact than rumor and things I don't care to rehash just enough to know I wouldn't hire him.

He has done an ok job at Clemson, and his recruiting is pretty good, but I am willing to bet his recruiting is not very clean based on his history and past. But once again good for him.

Hard for me to believe some of these guys using God in religion in winning football games and recruiting. Dabs is not as bad as some, but too over the top for me. That is just overly weird to me. God does not care about football games and which team wins, he leaves that up to Coach Bryant. Lol

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamablood6 View Post
    I was totally surprised they hired Dabo as their HC. Good for him, but I wouldn't hire him if I was an AD. And based on the Dubose years, most everyone on that staff was dysfunctional and had personal and professional issues. Very questionable staff at best. Lots of rumors that are more fact than rumor and things I don't care to rehash just enough to know I wouldn't hire him.

He has done an ok job at Clemson, and his recruiting is pretty good, but I am willing to bet his recruiting is not very clean based on his history and past. But once again good for him.

Hard for me to believe some of these guys using God in religion in winning football games and recruiting. Dabs is not as bad as some, but too over the top for me. That is just overly weird to me. God does not care about football games and which team wins, he leaves that up to Coach Bryant. Lol
    Reminds me of the joke about lsu Miles praying to God before the 2011 NCG vs Bama asking who his starting QB should be...and then after the game he looks up and ask God "why, why did you tell me to use JJ the whole game???!!!" And God looks to his left and says " I don't know...Bear why did we tell him that?"

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Dabo is a great coach but he isn't Bama material. Bill Clark IMO...
    Bill Clark might be one of the best unknown coaches out there. I expect him to do very good things at UAB.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    My problems with him go back to the role he played in the Dubose regime. I'm unconvinced he's changed, despite the Bible-thumping...
    I truly don't like to think of those day's Earle.
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar

The people that know Dabo best seem to have nothing but good things to say about him. I know several who grew up with him, went to school with him and coached with him. They all tell me for better or worse, he's a very genuine guy. Again, take that for what it's worth, but people I trust have been very vocal about that.

Now, would I want him as Saban's successor? I'm not so sure. He's done a great job at Clemson, but he's done it in a very different way than Saban or even our other past coaches, have done. We seem to do best when we have a coach that treats the fans and the media like kids. Bryant/Saban/Stallings all went into dad mode when they needed to and our program reaped major benefits from it. There's a formula that works at Alabama, and I'm not so sure it would work everywhere. We need a control freak who isn't afraid to tell it like it is. We need a workaholic who is never satisfied. Dabo doesn't seem to be any of those. (FWIW, Pruitt seems to be EXACTLY that type of coach. I'm hoping he eventually gets a HC job, is successful, and comes back home once CNS rides into the sunset.)

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    How could he afford to be in a fraternity with the financial problems the media likes to tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't answer that, but he was a member of a fraternity as were lots of walk-on football players back in the day.

Like RedStar said above, everyone who knows him likes him. He had a ton of great friends when we were in college, he just wasn't my type. haha