Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
ill post this here since the other dabo thread got closed

i may be overlooking something, but when has there ever been so much buzz/commotion about the loser of the championship game

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
There are three parts to a football team, offense, defense, and ST. As headcoach you're responsible for all three phases. Championships are won with defense and ST. IDK if CJM will be able to sustain his success at Florida. But we do know that after seven years as headcoach at Clemson CDS, while ramping up his offense, his defense and ST's are mediocre at best. In his last five bowl games, Clemson has given up an average of 36 ppg. That ain't gonna cut it here. IOW, without DW, I don't think CDS has nearly the success at Clemson that CJM had at Florida.
You realize that in our least 3 bowl games (ignoring the MSU) game, we have given up 45, 42, and 40 points in those games?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
In the 3 years BEFORE DW he was 3-0 in bowl games and beat LSU, Ohio State, and Oklahoma giving up an average of 22 points a game. Beat Oklahoma again in the playoffs this year and gave Bama all we could handle. Yeah, I guess you're right, he's got a helluva long way to catch up to JM. And that's no disrespect to JM...
IIRC in the three seasons before DW, Clemson was actually 2-1. They beat OSU 40-35 in 2013, LSU 25-24 in 2012, and lost to WVU 70-33 1n 2011. That's 43 ppg.

Also, had the #13 defense this year and #1 last year. I guess that's mediocre at best...
Clemson made six key errors that probably cost them the game and a national title. 3 on defense (the 2 botched assignment tds to OJ, and the missed tackle on OJ) and 3 on ST's ( the blocked fg, KD's td, and the o/s kick).

Well You know Gus is such a world beater after his first year...***blue font***

I think some of you need to tap the breaks on CJM. He inherited a stellar defense, and benefitted from butch single handling from blowing his 2 of 3 games that he should've won. Yes I'll admit even with the cards he was dealt he exceeded rational expectations, but let's call a spade a spade and acknowledge Florida was not the best team in the east solely because of CJM. It took Tennessee jobbing themselves out of games and uga getting punch drunk after bama and losing their best player on offense. Florida should've lost to UT, USCe, and vandy but they found a way to pull it out based on talent in 2/3 of those games just like Gus did in 2013. . I will remind you Florida was 11-1 in 2012 with their only loss to uga under will muschamp.

I will say the notion of potentially getting Dabo as replacement isn't an idea that makes me get a good feeling, but he is far and away more proven than CJM at this point.
We don't know what the future holds for either of these coaches, but as an old school guy, I'm leaning toward the defensive guy. Hopefully we won't have to make that choice for several years. Who knows who will be the "hot coach" by then.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
IIRC in the three seasons before DW, Clemson was actually 2-1. They beat OSU 40-35 in 2013, LSU 25-24 in 2012, and lost to WVU 70-33 1n 2011. That's 43 ppg.

Clemson made six key errors that probably cost them the game and a national title. 3 on defense (the 2 botched assignment tds to OJ, and the missed tackle on OJ) and 3 on ST's ( the blocked fg, KD's td, and the o/s kick).

We don't know what the future holds for either of these coaches, but as an old school guy, I'm leaning toward the defensive guy. Hopefully we won't have to make that choice for several years. Who knows who will be the "hot coach" by then.
Whoa, I never said I want Dabo, and in fact I'm totally against it at this point if it was up to me ( which it obviously isn't). I was responding to the other guy's post that CJM is more proven than Dabo. If you want to compare the two you have to accept the fact that even with will Grier they should've lost to Tennessee, but butch jones can't handle a double digit lead going into the fourth or coach on how to defend a long fourth and ball game play. You also have to factor that after a midseason game against lsu, they fought to win against practicality every game with two of them against usce and vandy and had ot with FAU. Then they got blasted by FSU and Michigan. Compare his one year at Florida to Dabo's last 3 at Clemson then it's in the league of the argument people made that Gus would own Saban and the SEC after one year. The point is there is nowhere enough evidence to support the argument that CJM>CDS or that CJM is an elite head coach. I think he is ok and has potential but I'm not going to take the leap of saying he is elite or better than Dabo without more years of coaching by both.

As for the successor... Eh... Don't really know who is going to be available when CNS leaves so it is more speculating at this point.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
He might be a little immature but I still think he could represent us with class. I still have faith he'll grow up a little.
Seriously? If he hasn't grown up, by now, it isn't likely to happen.

Would much rather prefer a coach that fully understands (and has been part of) The Process. No one in particular. Too soon to speculate.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Whoa, I never said I want Dabo, and in fact I'm totally against it at this point if it was up to me ( which it obviously isn't). I was responding to the other guy's post that CJM is more proven than Dabo. If you want to compare the two you have to accept the fact that even with will Grier they should've lost to Tennessee, but butch jones can't handle a double digit lead going into the fourth or coach on how to defend a long fourth and ball game play. You also have to factor that after a midseason game against lsu, they fought to win against practicality every game with two of them against usce and vandy and had ot with FAU. Then they got blasted by FSU and Michigan. Compare his one year at Florida to Dabo's last 3 at Clemson then it's in the league of the argument people made that Gus would own Saban and the SEC after one year. The point is there is nowhere enough evidence to support the argument that CJM>CDS or that CJM is an elite head coach. I think he is ok and has potential but I'm not going to take the leap of saying he is elite or better than Dabo without more years of coaching by both.

As for the successor... Eh... Don't really know who is going to be available when CNS leaves so it is more speculating at this point.

Yeah, I was just responding to this thread. My attitude toward CDS hasn't changed one iota since the game.
I didn't want him at Bama before, and I don't want him now. My CJM>CDS comment was not meant to build CJM up or put CDS down. I was just stating the fact that if I had to chose between those two to be at Bama right now, I'd chose CJM.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yeah, I was just responding to this thread. My attitude toward CDS hasn't changed one iota since the game.
I didn't want him at Bama before, and I don't want him now. My CJM>CDS comment was not meant to build CJM up or put CDS down. I was just stating the fact that if I had to chose between those two to be at Bama right now, I'd chose CJM.
I would probably take a gamble on Tom Herman if it was right now. That guy is special.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would probably take a gamble on Tom Herman if it was right now. That guy is special.
Yeah I would prefer CJM over CDS if they were the only options available and CNS left after next year, but like I said it's harder to gauge CJM based on a quirky year in the east than Dabo's whole tenure.

As far as Tom Herman... He probably is going to be the biggest name on a lot of folks list within the next three years, but since Sumlin made his splash at Houston and fast tracked to a big job it really makes me wonder...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yeah I would prefer CJM over CDS if they were the only options available and CNS left after next year, but like I said it's harder to gauge CJM based on a quirky year in the east than Dabo's whole tenure.

As far as Tom Herman... He probably is going to be the biggest name on a lot of folks list within the next three years, but since Sumlin made his splash at Houston and fast tracked to a big job it really makes me wonder...
I usually am the type that does not want to judge a coach until the 3rd season, that Herman seems to have an X factor. But yes, season 1, and at Houston, a school whose players are probably rated lower than they should be due to the number of good players in that area.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Difference is Sumlin hs literally never won anything - even at Houston he couldn't win the conference. Herman won the conference in his first season...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My problems with him go back to the role he played in the Dubose regime. I'm unconvinced he's changed, despite the Bible-thumping...
I have a long memory. I wasn't happy with the Dubose thing. I know it's old news.
I will grant that I've had to change my mind about Lane Kiffin, but Lane earned it. Maybe it was growing up. I'll need a little more convincing about Dabo.

One of the things that bother me about Dabo these days is he is a little too Rah Rah for my taste.
When I see Dabo I'm reminded of the things I don't like about Auburn. Guess I'm old School.

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Seriously? If he hasn't grown up, by now, it isn't likely to happen.

Would much rather prefer a coach that fully understands (and has been part of) The Process. No one in particular. Too soon to speculate.
^ ^ ^ ^
T h i s !

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
What do you want to bet that Clemson reverts back to form and goes 8-4 next year, and we're not even having this conversation?
I could see this happening if Clemson doesn't stay focused and hungry. However, with what they have coming back, it's more likely they make another run at the playoffs. IF Dabo gets the Tigers back to the dance and wins it all NEXT year, I wonder what the pulse will be around here regarding his opportunity or possible future as Alabama's head man.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I have a long memory. I wasn't happy with the Dubose thing. I know it's old news.
I will grant that I've had to change my mind about Lane Kiffin, but Lane earned it. Maybe it was growing up. I'll need a little more convincing about Dabo.

One of the things that bother me about Dabo these days is he is a little too Rah Rah for my taste.
When I see Dabo I'm reminded of the things I don't like about Auburn. Guess I'm old School.
We are a defensive minded school that is comfortable with coaches that are more respected and feared than a players coach. It's just what we are. You are spot on, he acts like Terry Bowden and looks like Tommy Tuberville, or worse.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He's brought them back from the dead basically.
No, no he hasn't. That's the thing, has he done a good job there relative to the last coach? Sure he has, but Tommy Bowden was 72-45 and that got him run out of town. If that's your idea of "dead" then we just look at things differently (that's decidedly better than Shula or Dubose did at Alabama for example). He elevated the program, sure, but he also happened to do his best after guys like Spurrier and Beamer started to slow down. I'm not saying he's done a bad job, I'm just saying his resume needs more on it before I'd even consider him as a replacement to Saban. My entire statement was in that context, and I thought I made that clear.

I'm reminded of how Petersen suddenly looks mortal having left Boise. I'm still not convinced Dabo's an elite coach.
Yup, he came to mind to. Winning games in a favorable situation is not at all a measure of how you'll do when the stakes are higher and the opponents are better.

I can name a long list of coaches who won a lot of games at a particular school. When we're talking in the context of a potential replacement for Nick Saban, the standard has to be much, much higher. Alabama needs someone who has proven they can win the big game, and has proven they can sustain success even with adversity. Dabo just hasn't done that yet. I am also one of the posters that left the door open for that to change though. If Dabo does something noteworthy without Watson, I'll be watching and so will a lot of other Alabama fans.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
No, no he hasn't. That's the thing, has he done a good job there relative to the last coach? Sure he has, but Tommy Bowden was 72-45 and that got him run out of town. If that's your idea of "dead" then we just look at things differently (that's decidedly better than Shula or Dubose did at Alabama for example). He elevated the program, sure, but he also happened to do his best after guys like Spurrier and Beamer started to slow down. I'm not saying he's done a bad job, I'm just saying his resume needs more on it before I'd even consider him as a replacement to Saban. My entire statement was in that context, and I thought I made that clear.

Yup, he came to mind to. Winning games in a favorable situation is not at all a measure of how you'll do when the stakes are higher and the opponents are better.

I can name a long list of coaches who won a lot of games at a particular school. When we're talking in the context of a potential replacement for Nick Saban, the standard has to be much, much higher. Alabama needs someone who has proven they can win the big game, and has proven they can sustain success even with adversity. Dabo just hasn't done that yet. I am also one of the posters that left the door open for that to change though. If Dabo does something noteworthy without Watson, I'll be watching and so will a lot of other Alabama fans.
I respect your opinion but I guess we just look at it differently. Clemson's last 10 win season before Dabo was 1989. Their last conference championship was 1991. The last time they finished in the top 10 was 1990. I agree I was wrong when I said he brought them back from the dead but he sure brought them back from mediocrity. Regarding DW he has only played one full season so Dabo's has been successful with other qb's. We'll have to wait and see if he can continue his success but in my opinion he has a strong resume. Strong enough to replace Saban? I'm not even going there because I don't want to even think about that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.