Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
My attitude on the Clemson OL and DL has shifted. Those kids played hard and with a lot of heart. Dabo is Dabo. He says what he thinks, when he thinks it. That's a refreshing trait a lot of times, but when you are the CEO (head coach in this case), that habit can hurt your organization far more than it helps it. He likely will mature over time, and he might get a handle on this. Time will tell. But until that changes, Dabo is Dabo.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
ill post this here since the other dabo thread got closed

i may be overlooking something, but when has there ever been so much buzz/commotion about the loser of the championship game
The last time someone made it a game. I guess that would be the Auburn. We all know how that turned out :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
it would be hilarious if they dropped their first game to the barn
No that would be painful. Auburn is still destined to lose a good bit of their games next year, but if they beat Clemson then they are going to be unbearable atleast until they play lsu. I want auburn demoralized all season.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Michael Shula is a good man.

There are a lot of good men out there.....not all of them are great coaches, some of them are good coaches and some of them are bad coaches.

There are some men that are not so good.....not all of them are great coaches, some of them are good coaches and some of them are bad coaches.

Sometimes what we see on the outside looking in, is not who that person really is.

Sometimes people change, and most times they don't.
This is very deep. Not sure I'm prepared to debate this kind of analysis.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No that would be painful. Auburn is still destined to lose a good bit of their games next year, but if they beat Clemson then they are going to be unbearable atleast until they play lsu. I want auburn demoralized all season.
at least speaking for me, how auburn feels, good or bad, has no effect on me. granted, i don't have to live around them or deal with any barn fans

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's roughly been one year since this thread and here we are with the same two teams in the championship game. The Dancin' Dabo's made it back, but not unscathed. Bama made it back with barely being tested all year.

It seems "attitudes" about Dabo are pretty much set in peoples' minds regardless of what he does. I'll be honest, I have no idea the details of his involvement during the Dubose debacle. But I know whatever it was, whatever he did. It soured a lot of Bama folks on him for good. Regardless of what he does on the field at Clemson. So it must have been quite bad.

On another note, in this thread it was brought up that people wanted to see how Dabo does without a superman QB like Watson. Well, we might have to wait another three to four years after Watson's gone because according to the SEC Network guys, Dabo's got one of the top QB's in the country coming to Clemson. So unless the kid doesn't develop, Dabo seems to have recruited well enough to fill the position with adequate talent after Watson is gone. I keep hearing that Dabo's coaching style is "different". Booger MacFarland and Greg McElroy both said this multiple times last night on SEC Now. What is so "different" about his personality? Does the guy wear pink Hello Kitty pj's and go room to room every night tucking his players into bed? It's like those who keep saying "he's different" are doing so with this on air look of "I can't tell you what's different about him because it's embarrassing but I'm just saying he's different." What's this "different" that people keep talking about?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Going to the championship back-to-back is an accomplishment. Dabo should be proud.
That said, if folks with inside knowledge of the Dubose-Dabo thing say he should not be considered as the head coach at Bama, I understand. I will never know that inside baseball info, but the Bama program is not just any job and is not for everyone.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I don't want him here just based on the way he acts and hearing him speak at a local event in Montgomery doubly confirmed that for me. IMO his style is a better fit for the Auburn cult of personality than our's. I would put it in line with Chizik but with much more coaching skill behind it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't want him here just based on the way he acts and hearing him speak at a local event in Montgomery doubly confirmed that for me. IMO his style is a better fit for the Auburn cult of personality than our's. I would put it in line with Chizik but with much more coaching skill behind it.
I just want to get clarity on what people mean when they say "he's got a different style". Because it comes up a lot from the talking heads who are former players. That his approach to coaching and player relationships is "different". It's a talking point that continually keeps being brought up by analyst. But no detail involved.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I don't mind Dabo as much as some I guess. He seems like a good ole country boy to me.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I have no idea what he did during the Dubose era but I just don't like how he carries himself. He's pretty cocky with this smugness lurking right underneath that 'southern charm' and likes to beat his chest. He was always getting into petty back and forth barb sparring matches with Spurrier. He took every chance to get a jab in when Clemson would do something before USCe....like win a 'Major Bowl Game'.

He didn't give us credit really for winning last year.....he just said they ran out of time. Then last week after the Fiesta Bowl he goes on that rant listing off ALL of Clemson's accomplishments trying sell how legit they are and even bending some of it like 'winning 5 straight bowls' which IS technically true even though they lost the NCG.

Long story short he is VERY 'barn-ish'. Has little brother syndrome. Rubs things in people's faces etc. I just don't like him. If he ever coached in this state I'd just assume he go over to 'the plains'.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I just want to get clarity on what people mean when they say "he's got a different style". Because it comes up a lot from the talking heads who are former players. That his approach to coaching and player relationships is "different". It's a talking point that continually keeps being brought up by analyst. But no detail involved.
I may not mean it the same way as others, as part of what I'm talking about would quickly devolve into Non-Sports territory. It goes along with Chizik, Richt, and people along those lines for me. To me it is say one thing, act another way elsewhere.

Also tusks post above ties in to my feelings.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
One of many stories from the DuBose years that sticks out in my mind...

DuBose was feeling religion and would give his assistant coaches Bible verses to study rather than having them make plans for the next game. I was not there as a witness so it's possible I'm misinformed. But I always thought that was beyond odd...

That has always seemed to me to tie into the current version of Dabo that we see now, in some way or another.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I may not mean it the same way as others, as part of what I'm talking about would quickly devolve into Non-Sports territory. It goes along with Chizik, Richt, and people along those lines for me. To me it is say one thing, act another way elsewhere.

Also tusks post above ties in to my feelings.
Okay, I get what you're talking about. Yeah, no need to start bringing it up because it would quickly need to be moved to the Non Sports Board. But that's probably what the guys on the SEC Network keep referring too. Matter of fact, B. MacFarland did mention one thing that supports what you're referring too. It was his opening sentence when asked "How has Dabo been able to keep the talent coming into Clemson this long?".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.