Attitude Shifts About Dabo? - Page 8
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Re: Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    As far as I can remember, Dabo has used some form of the "us against the world" mentality every year at Clemson. This year he fed the players "no one respects us" aspect of it. That's not going to work at Alabama. I question if he can use any other form of motivation since that's all he's known. If he can't, he'll have issues at another school.
    that mentality will be hard to maintain when espn and others are camped out in clemson all off-season talking superlatives about clemson and watson.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement

As far as I can remember, Dabo has used some form of the "us against the world" mentality every year at Clemson. This year he fed the players "no one respects us" aspect of it. That's not going to work at Alabama. I question if he can use any other form of motivation since that's all he's known. If he can't, he'll have issues at another school.
    After this season, it will be hard for him to use that mantra. Clemson is likely to start next season at #1. Two seasons of being one of the top 1-3 teams is going to shift the bullseye on to the Tigers. He'll get a chance to show if he can handle that.

As far as attitude towards Dabo, I have been really happy that a former Bama player and coach has done well. The caveat has been that he's been doing it in the ACC. That said, I was impressed with how the Tigers performed against Bama Monday night. They were the real deal. Does that mean I want him for our next coach? Not right now. Once Coach Saban has decided to hang it up, there is no telling who will be best for our program. Dabo may or may not be a part of the mix. Only time will tell.
    RTR

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that mentality will be hard to maintain when espn and others are camped out in clemson all off-season talking superlatives about clemson and watson.
    He'll figure something out. Maybe he'll just buckle down and learn to coach from the lead, though that's a tough position t be in for very long.

Dabo's done a good job at Clemson, and while they play a tougher schedule than BSu, I'm reminded of how Petersen suddenly looks mortal having left Boise. I'm still not convinced Dabo's an elite coach.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    True. We've finally managed to handle that, but it's not easy...
    i have to believe that this factor (along with injuries) played a big part in our 2010 season outcome.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    True. We've finally managed to handle that, but it's not easy...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

For everyone so enamored of Dabo let me state the following:

Gene Chizik + Scam Newton = Great Team
    Dabo Swinney + Deshaun Watson = Great Team

Let's see how good they are once DW is gone. DW's performance was about 75% of that team on Monday. Without him they would have gotten DRILLED!

BamaNation All-SEC TheAccountant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    True, but it was inevitable, considering that the "Dabo to Bama" theme is constant. I agree with CA. Let's see how he does for a few years without superman at QB, and we'll know then how he rates as a coach.
    3 years prior to Deshaun Watson (2011-2013) he was 32-8 with a blow out loss in the Orange to West Virginia, a win over LSU in the Chickfila, and a win over undefeated Ohio State in the Orange.

BamaNation All-SEC TheAccountant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post

Let's see how good they are once DW is gone. DW's performance was about 75% of that team on Monday. Without him they would have gotten DRILLED!
    And we would have gotten drilled if our QB play sucked or we didn't have the Heisman Trophy winner. That's championship football played at a high level.

BamaNation All-SEC alwayshavebeen's Avatar

Comparing Dabo's win - loss record with anyone in the SEC is totally unfair. The ACC is the ACC. Heck he should run the table every year...But he won't.

BamaNation First Team

That's my point, though. He's used it every year. It makes one believe he doesn't know anything else.
    Yeah, I get your point and I should have explained my point better. It's working for him at Clemson so why would he change it. It was mention above that he will more than likely be ranked #1 at the start of next season so we'll see how he handles it.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshavebeen View Post
    Comparing Dabo's win - loss record with anyone in the SEC is totally unfair. The ACC is the ACC. Heck he should run the table every year...But he won't.
    So he should be expected to bear Fla St. every year? Glad your not my boss...

BamaNation All-American

My attitude has not shifted. I think he is a good, maybe even great coach, and like others I am not a big fan of his personality. I thought Saban was a great coach, a total jerk, and was not a fan of his personality (for different reasons) before he came to Alabama. I have obviously seen a different side of him since then.

There is no way I am going to worry about who may or may not replace Coach Saban until that day comes.

As for whether or not his success is only tied to Watson, I always think that is unfair. Every coach win/loss success is always tied to their players. Sometimes a single player has a larger impact, but he did coach them. Take Chizik as an example. Laying it all on Cam (even though he was a dominant player) doesn't take into account how good their OL was and Nick Fairley trying to and sometimes succeeding in crippling everyone he tackled. He lost a different team and got fired for it.

We will see if he can recruit enough great players sustain a program. So far he has proven he can sustain at a high level, just not at a championship level.
    Last edited by mittman; January 13th, 2016 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    My attitude has not shifted. I think he is a good, maybe even great coach, and like others I am not a big fan of his personality. I thought Saban was a great coach, a total jerk, and was not a fan of his personality (for different reasons) before he came to Alabama. I have obviously seen a different side of him since then.

There is no way I am going to worry about who may or may not replace Coach Saban until that day comes.

As for whether or not his success is only tied to Watson, I always think that is unfair. Every coach win/loss success is always tied to their players. Sometimes a single player has a larger impact, but he did coach them. Take Chizik as an example. Laying it all on Cam (even though he was a doesn't take into account how good their OL was and Nick Fairley trying to and sometimes succeeding in crippling everyone he tackled. He lost a different team and got fired for it.

We will see if he can recruit enough great players sustain a program. So far he has proven he can sustain at a high level, just not at a championship level.
    According to this article, that won't be any time soon, as long as CNS' health holds out. Saban has made the same remark about being nothing without his players. OTOH, I do think it's fair to take into account super players and the schedule, when judging a head coach...

LINK
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis