Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
In my opinion from a distance, it doesn't strike me that he instills that much discipline in his players. When it's trendy with many of your players to basically sexually harass opponents on the field with poking and fondling, to the point that one of your team leaders defends the practice by ridiculing critics as no-talent losers, and you as a coach basically dismiss it all with "wasn't right, but boys will be boys", you're not exactly setting and enforcing a standard.

I don't know what he was or wasn't involved with under Dubose, but I'm aware of the fact that there are many who are strongly opposed to his having any association with Bama based on their definite inside knowledge of that Dubose-era involvement. That's enough for me.

I recently expressed that sentiment with my brother's in-laws, who are big Bama fans and are big on the idea of Dabo replacing Coach Saban when he retires. They said that the "insiders they know" all strongly support Dabo as a future consideration. I highly doubt that their "insiders" are as "inside" as my brother's in-laws think. And like I said, from a distance, I don't think I like the idea purely on a lack of discipline basis. But you can't deny his success from a win-loss perspective since he took over the program.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We are a sum total of our experiences. Dabo's story is one of adversity and hard work. I think his heart is in the right place and respect the man for who he is and what he's done. I don't think you will ever see him coach at Alabama again though.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
As far as how he is 'different' coaching wise? I'm not exactly sure what the talking heads mean directly. But we know he appears to be pretty religious so maybe he coaches the team like they have a planned destiny to achieve. He's had a difficult life in some ways w/o a strong father figure growing up and I'm sure he is able to connect with many many kids in recruiting via that.

He also seems to be Half-Coach Half-One of the Boys by the Dancing and horsing around with the players.....a little Kiffin like in that area....something Peter Pan-ish. Lastly I think he has a loose hand on the reigns with the conduct he allows. He just lets his team play loose and fast. They dance around, talk trash, poke butts and grab *uts.....Almost reminds me of the 80's Miami Hurricanes but not as extreme.

He's different alright.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
As far as how he is 'different' coaching wise? I'm not exactly sure what the talking heads mean directly. But we know he appears to be pretty religious so maybe he coaches the team like they have a planned destiny to achieve. He's had a difficult life in some ways w/o a strong father figure growing up and I'm sure he is able to connect with many many kids in recruiting via that.

He also seems to be Half-Coach Half-One of the Boys by the Dancing and horsing around with the players.....a little Kiffin like in that area....something Peter Pan-ish. Lastly I think he has a loose hand on the reigns with the conduct he allows. He just lets his team play loose and fast. They dance around, talk trash, poke butts and grab *uts.....Almost reminds me of the 80's Miami Hurricanes but not as extreme.

He's different alright.
And how LSU under Miles seemed to me. One of the biggest edges they had was playing loose and fast. They (and Clemson) sure had a ton of raw talent to tap into also. But it's a different style than what Bama's always been. It's important to have fun out there, no doubt. But Bama has always been a program that seeks to channel and focus raw talent, whereas Clemson and LSU under Miles seemed to just want to let it run wild and see where that talent took them. When it works, it works well. But when it goes off the rails due to lack of guidance, boundaries, focus, etc, it usually goes off in a big way.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
He also seems to be Half-Coach Half-One of the Boys by the Dancing and horsing around with the players.
And half man-bear-pig.

FIFY.

He's different alright.
Yeah, well so am I. Doesn't mean it is a positive, though. (Just ask some of my ex-bosses, who found they couldn't outlast me.)

Obviously, put me down in 92's camp, as to my position on Dumbo.

Don't want him anywhere near our program. If he ever takes over, the only way you will see me here is to cheer for us to lose, so we can rid ourselves of him. (Ditto for Jackie Sherrill, and a few others. Although all are extremely remote.)

CNS says it best: "I can't hear what you are saying because your actions drown it out." That pretty much sums up my assessment of Dumbo. Might be good, at what he does, but as genuine as a $25 bill.

There, I said it. Deal with it.

</rant>

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Still the same... Don't want him here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

I dislike dabo. The whole "aww shucks" thing is grating, and that's being kind. I believe it's insincere and a facade.

And if I'm wrong, if all that personality is really who he is, then I dislike him even more.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I never understood all the hate for Swineey from Tidefans. No, I wouldn't lobby to have him head coach at Bama but the guy is a self made man, a Christian man and a distinguished Alum. I certainly respect him. From Wikipedia:

"Swinney was raised in Pelham, Alabama, and attended the University of Alabama, where he joined the Crimson Tide football program as a walk-on wide receiver in 1989. He earned a scholarship and lettered on three teams (1990–1992), including the Crimson Tide's 1992 National Championship team. During his time as an undergraduate at Alabama, Swinney was twice named an Academic All-SEC and SEC Scholar Athlete Honor Roll member.[1] In 3 seasons at Alabama he caught 7 passes for 81 yards.[2] He received his degree in commerce & business administration in 1993 as well as a master's degree in business administration from Alabama in 1995."

Head coaching record
Overall
89–28
Bowls
7–4

Accomplishments and honors
Championships

1 National (2016)
3 ACC (2011, 2015, 2016)
5 ACC Atlantic Division (2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016)

Awards

Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year (2011)
ACC Coach of the Year (2015)
Home Depot Coach of the Year (2015)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2015)
Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year Award (2015)
Maxwell Football Club Coach of the Year (2015)
Paul "Bear" Bryant Award (2015)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What does that even mean? That it was God's plan that those two players would choose those numbers to coincide with the artificial chapter and verse numbering in the Bible? To make what point? That Jesus is a Clemson fan?
Only thing missing is Gene Chizik's "it's a God thing" line from one of the 2010 Auburn games.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Neither am I Earl. People talk about how genuine he is- but I just do not buy it. Many Bama fans give him a pass because he is a "Bama guy". They would look at him as we look at Hugh Freeze if he was not from here.
My problems with him go back to the role he played in the Dubose regime. I'm unconvinced he's changed, despite the Bible-thumping...

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
We all know his past. I am convinced there is more to him than meets the eye. And I said that long before Bama played Clemson the last 2 years. And he showed some of his true colors when he said the last TD on Monday night was clearly "pass interference. ' Unbelievable.
I never understood all the hate for Swineey from Tidefans. No, I wouldn't lobby to have him head coach at Bama but the guy is a self made man, a Christian man and a distinguished Alum. I certainly respect him. From Wikipedia:

"Swinney was raised in Pelham, Alabama, and attended the University of Alabama, where he joined the Crimson Tide football program as a walk-on wide receiver in 1989. He earned a scholarship and lettered on three teams (1990–1992), including the Crimson Tide's 1992 National Championship team. During his time as an undergraduate at Alabama, Swinney was twice named an Academic All-SEC and SEC Scholar Athlete Honor Roll member.[1] In 3 seasons at Alabama he caught 7 passes for 81 yards.[2] He received his degree in commerce & business administration in 1993 as well as a master's degree in business administration from Alabama in 1995."

Head coaching record
Overall
89–28
Bowls
7–4

Accomplishments and honors
Championships

1 National (2016)
3 ACC (2011, 2015, 2016)
5 ACC Atlantic Division (2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016)

Awards

Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year (2011)
ACC Coach of the Year (2015)
Home Depot Coach of the Year (2015)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2015)
Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year Award (2015)
Maxwell Football Club Coach of the Year (2015)
Paul "Bear" Bryant Award (2015)

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Great post. Dabo always plays the victim. He is very Barnish at times. And he is at a school that resembles Auburn in many,many ways.There also was really nothing in his past that would have led on to believe that he would have this kind of success- never was even a coordinator before. I know that Spurrier and Urban Meyer have openly questioned the role of "IPTAY" in their recruiting. Dabo got a job he never dreamed of getting- sometime believe he is the ulltimate "yes man" there for the power brokers.
I have no idea what he did during the Dubose era but I just don't like how he carries himself. He's pretty cocky with this smugness lurking right underneath that 'southern charm' and likes to beat his chest. He was always getting into petty back and forth barb sparring matches with Spurrier. He took every chance to get a jab in when Clemson would do something before USCe....like win a 'Major Bowl Game'.

He didn't give us credit really for winning last year.....he just said they ran out of time. Then last week after the Fiesta Bowl he goes on that rant listing off ALL of Clemson's accomplishments trying sell how legit they are and even bending some of it like 'winning 5 straight bowls' which IS technically true even though they lost the NCG.

Long story short he is VERY 'barn-ish'. Has little brother syndrome. Rubs things in people's faces etc. I just don't like him. If he ever coached in this state I'd just assume he go over to 'the plains'.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Great post. Dabo always plays the victim. He is very Barnish at times. And he is at a school that resembles Auburn in many,many ways.There also was really nothing in his past that would have led on to believe that he would have this kind of success- never was even a coordinator before. I know that Spurrier and Urban Meyer have openly questioned the role of "IPTAY" in their recruiting. Dabo got a job he never dreamed of getting- sometime believe he is the ulltimate "yes man" there for the power brokers.
Dabo was Clemson's coordinator in 2008, and got the job on an interim basis after Bowden was fired after 3-4 games.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Actually, no he was not. He was the Wide Receiver coach. He has never been a coordinator. Went from that to Head Coach.
Dabo was Clemson's coordinator in 2008, and got the job on an interim basis after Bowden was fired after 3-4 games.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If he thinks groping opponents on the field is harmless horse play, that tells me about what I need to know.
He said they won because they loved each other. I hope that isn't the kind of love he meant.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.