Attitude Shifts About Dabo? - Page 9
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    According to this article, that won't be any time soon, as long as CNS' health holds out. Saban has made the same remark about being nothing without his players. OTOH, I do think it's fair to take into account super players and the schedule, when judging a head coach...

LINK
    I do think it is fair to take it into account, but making it the whole of the argument IMO is never fair. We tend to do that.

There are a lot of good players on that Clemson team. Watson obviously is dominant and a big part of the success. Swinney will have to replace and develop someone else when he is gone. Whether he can has to be taken into account. If I left the impression that it wasn't part of the equation when judging a coaches success, I did not intend to. My problem is more with the weight we tend apply for that factor.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

One thing I've learned, Bama fans don't want to give anybody other than Bama credit for anything. The world isn't flat anymore. Carry on.
    RIP Hub

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    For everyone so enamored of Dabo let me state the following:

Gene Chizik + Scam Newton = Great Team
    Dabo Swinney + Deshaun Watson = Great Team

Let's see how good they are once DW is gone. DW's performance was about 75% of that team on Monday. Without him they would have gotten DRILLED!
    Bingo!!!
    As of now, Jim McElwain>Dabo Swinney, Ten years from now, who knows?
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    One thing I've learned, Bama fans don't want to give anybody other than Bama credit for anything. The world isn't flat anymore. Carry on.
    Wait, the world used to be flat?

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    I do think it is fair to take it into account, but making it the whole of the argument IMO is never fair. We tend to do that.

There are a lot of good players on that Clemson team. Watson obviously is dominant and a big part of the success. Swinney will have to replace and develop someone else when he is gone. Whether he can has to be taken into account. If I left the impression that it wasn't part of the equation when judging a coaches success, I did not intend to. My problem is more with the weight we tend apply for that factor.
    I think that's a correct assessment. I believe that the quirk of human memory involved is that the massive fails, such as Brown and Vince Young, Chizik and Cam, Sumlin and Manziel, just, in hindsight, stick more than the coaches who have carried on and produced later. Therefore, the jury is always out until the coach proves himself again. As a contrast, look at the row of QBs Saban has produced with. Only AJ was a real possibility for the NFL. It's come to the place that most media no longer discount Bama because of a new QB. I'll be watching Dabo closely to see which cubbyhole he falls into, after Watson is gone...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamadp View Post
    Bingo!!!
    Just curious, what's your basis for JM > DS right now?

Not arguing that CDS is ready for job like Bama and I'm not saying he'd ever be ready, but CJM has had two 10 win seasons in a row and CDS has had 5 and this past year he had the second best team in the country that stood toe to toe with us.

I too like CJM, but this past season he won with a defense that was left over from the Muschamp regime at UF. I think he'll get it done at UF, but IMO, Dabo has proven to be the more consistent coach at this stage of their career.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

I don't know Dabo but I like a laidback HC and not a cheerleader HC. I never liked DuBose cheerleading on the sidelines and I don't like Dabo doing it.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

He's a goober....he can stay at Clemson. His antics are not Bama material....sorry, I'm old school...

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamadp View Post
    Bingo!!!
    What????

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think that's a correct assessment. I believe that the quirk of human memory involved is that the massive fails, such as Brown and Vince Young, Chizik and Cam, Sumlin and Manziel, just, in hindsight, stick more than the coaches who have carried on and produced later. Therefore, the jury is always out until the coach proves himself again. As a contrast, look at the row of QBs Saban has produced with. Only AJ was a real possibility for the NFL. It's come to the place that most media no longer discount Bama because of a new QB. I'll be watching Dabo closely to see which cubbyhole he falls into, after Watson is gone...
    Not that I disagree, but Clemson had a team of athletes and I personally think they made a mistake of not sticking with the run to balance out their offensive arsenal. I know they didn't break off any big runs, but there were a couple of times they were one missed tackle from an explosive play. I remember they had several runs early on of 3-5 yards and I was starting to get concerned if they could do that it would really open up their passing game even more.

After we stop honoring their running game, we really started to bring more pressure it seemed to me. Not sure we could have consistently done that if they would have established a little more of a running game.

BamaNation All-American Crimson Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    I thought his team played well and his staff coached well. He has elevated the stature of Clemson and done a good job there - but I believe Earle when he speaks this clearly. I do not think he is a good fit for us.

Who would want to succeed Saban anyway ? Talk about destined to fail, by comparison.
    I completely agree. The next guy to coach at the Capstone should take a hard look at the coach/coaches that immediately followed Paul Bear Bryant. When expectations are so high, any drop in performance brings certain heat. Hopefully, we will not have to face that for a few more years.

I do respect what Dabo has accomplished at Clemson, especially with offensive and defensive lines. Not only have they recruited well, but they were successful in coaching up those linemen. With that said, Watson was the difference maker for them, not just in the championship game, but all season long. Without him, they would have never reached the playoffs. I want to see what Dabo can accomplish over time with a QB that is good, but not on Watson's level. If, over the next few years, he can maintain a top ten level, then I will acknowledge his talent as an elite coach. There is a long list of coaches that are "one or two season wonders".

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Not that I disagree, but Clemson had a team of athletes and I personally think they made a mistake of not sticking with the run to balance out their offensive arsenal. I know they didn't break off any big runs, but there were a couple of times they were one missed tackle from an explosive play. I remember they had several runs early on of 3-5 yards and I was starting to get concerned if they could do that it would really open up their passing game even more.

After we stop honoring their running game, we really started to bring more pressure it seemed to me. Not sure we could have consistently done that if they would have established a little more of a running game.
    Could not disagree more. clemson could not consistently line up & run on Bama and got most of their They actually had a good game plan of attacking Bama's young DBs Fitzpatrick & Humphery and avoiding the more experienced Smith & Jackson. They racked 40 pts on a defense built to stop their style of offense. Their offensive game plan was not a problem and was quite effective.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Dabo is good for an emotional based team, but if we are going for that kinda person I really don't see it being a better situation than having kiffin being the hc. The problem is that anyone not named jimbo fisher, Jim harbaugh, mark dantonio, urban Meyer, or tom Herman at this point is not going to be given full control by the bot, and Herman and fisher is reaching with that distinction. I feel whoever it is isn't going to be a huge splash and their hiring isn't going to be well received by all until they win a title.