Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Here is something I haven't seen commented on. As about everyone has seen, Coach Saban walked all over the stadium for almost 3-minutes to congratulate the winning coach. Why did he have to seek out DS, and not visa versa? Winning coaches 99% of the time make a point to be the one to meet the opposing coach for a hand shake.
Before that Dabo had two sets of footprints behind him in the stadium grass. But during that three minutes there was only one set of footprints.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I think the next 3-4 years will be very interesting for Swinney and Clemson, and I think the biggest questions about his capabilities as a long-term football CEO will be answered. They have been more or less a curious, entertaining upstart/underdog team for several years, but now they will be the hunted. A little bit of that was beginning to start after last season, but after their underwhelming early games this season they slid back into the old role. Can Dabo handle the slings and arrows that are headed his way? Can his team handle being the biggest game on the schedule of almost every team they'll play? Will he be able to maintain a culture of hunger in his program or will an attitude of accomplishment and complacency creep in? Will he able to successfully replace a championship core of players?

I don't have the answers to those questions, but I think they are all fair questions for sure.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Still the same... Don't want him here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does that even mean? That it was God's plan that those two players would choose those numbers to coincide with the artificial chapter and verse numbering in the Bible? To make what point? That Jesus is a Clemson fan?
Implying that Clemson won through divine intervention is so different from my own personal understanding of the Christian faith that frankly I think he must be a little nuts.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
No attitude shift at all when it comes to Swinney. No thanks! Their fan base, fueled by him, is the most obnoxious and classless group of fans I know.
Here is something I haven't seen commented on. As about everyone has seen, Coach Saban walked all over the stadium for almost 3-minutes to congratulate the winning coach. Why did he have to seek out DS, and not visa versa? Winning coaches 99% of the time make a point to be the one to meet the opposing coach for a hand shake.
With all that orange on the field, I'm sure it was hard for Coach Saban to find Dabo. Why would all those orange clad fans show up on the field causing much confusion? Alabama fans don't do that. Oh, when you've been there before, you actually know how to act when WINNING NC's! That did irritate me with the camera following Coach Saban as he tried to find Dabo. Was Dabo the son of Fred Flintstone? Just wondering. They do touch that stone as they run into that valley. Does Dabo mean "that boy" or "who dat boy"?

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
That is all Clemson fans know how to do- rush the field. They are like Auburn in nearly every way.
With all that orange on the field, I'm sure it was hard for Coach Saban to find Dabo. Why would all those orange clad fans show up on the field causing much confusion? Alabama fans don't do that. Oh, when you've been there before, you actually know how to act when WINNING NC's! That did irritate me with the camera following Coach Saban as he tried to find Dabo. Was Dabo the son of Fred Flintstone? Just wondering. They do touch that stone as they run into that valley. Does Dabo mean "that boy" or "who dat boy"?

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
If Clemson somehow wins it all this year, will we still hold something from 15+ years ago against him or nitpick him to death?

Dabo has made Clemson elite.

nc14

Suspended
Sep 2, 2014
Davidson, NC
Seriously? If he hasn't grown up, by now, it isn't likely to happen.

Would much rather prefer a coach that fully understands (and has been part of) The Process. No one in particular. Too soon to speculate.
Dabo "grew up" long before a young man should be expected to. I don't like the way he constantly plays the officials during a game but other than that he does everything right. If we think there is another Saban or Belichick somewhere out there I haven't seen him.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
The one thing we don't know is how much longer CNS will coach. I don't think he even knows. Because of that a lot of things can happen and a lot of coaches can pass thru UA. Only time will tell. Who knows we may have someone come on board the staff that is the "ONE". We must trust the process and enjoy CNS and his success while it lasts. Even if Dabo wins this year I still don't want him as our coach. Just don't like the man. RTR

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just don't see Dabo coming to Bama. Here is why...

Lets just say CNS retires in 5 years, and lets ballpark that he will win 1 or 2 NCs, and 3 SECCs

If Dabo comes to Bama he will be 53. Lets say we ballpark it again that he coaches 10-15 years. What are we saying? he wins 2-3 NCs and 4-5 SECs. He will always be 3rd or 4th best coach at Alabama.

Now lets go where it stands now...

Dabo is 2 ACC conference titles away from tieing Howard who has no NCs
Dabo is 1 ACC conference title away from tieing Ford who has the other NC

Dabo could be the greatest coach at Clemson ever, but he will probably never even come close to being 2nd best at Bama. I think if he would ever come it would either be for one last hoorah like CGS or just because he loves his alma mater, but I just don't buy it being the last one because of the competition in the SEC he would have to endure with the high expectations at Bama. I just don't see it

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
There is so much that can happen in 5 years. Dabo could be on a three year skid at 7-5 or not even be coaching at Clemson in 5 years.
CNS may coach 5-6 more years or could go for 10 more years.
Or, he could surprise everybody and retire in two years.
Too many other things to argue and debate about right now. :tongue:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I feel, just a feeling, Dabo has built Clemson and it is his, why risk coming to Bama after Saban? No real upside, I know he attended Bama, but he is Clemson. Like PAPA Bowden and FSU, he built it and liked being THE COACH at FSU, no shadows to live up to. That is what Dabo has at Clemson.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone who was on that staff should EVER become HC at Alabama. That staff brought a lot of GRIEF to Bama alumni and fans!

If I recall pressure was brought by alumni and FANS to hire that HC, you know the hand clapper. Bama just needs to always hire the BEST. Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Gene Stallings, and Nick Saban were NOT UA graduates and they were great hires! Just HIRE the BEST in the future and we won't have any problems.

Now, Coach Bryant was a UA grad, but he was SPECIAL and UNIQUE.
As of today, I'd say Swinney is the best behind CNS. Last January, the overwhelming consensus was that with Watson leaving, Dabo's meal ticket was gone. They'd be good, but nothing special. Here we are almost a year later, and there's a lot of people worried and hoping that we don't get blown out by Clemson (I do not believe that, BTW).

Personal opinions aside, if CNS retired today, I'm grasping at straws to trying to figure out who is the next best coach out there after Dabo.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Regardless of what one thinks about Dabo's personality I think he's the best candidate right now if Alabama prefers someone with either Alabama or Saban ties. Having won a NC is a good prerequisite to have. The only other person worth considering might be Jimbo but the way FSU became a bit unglued this season I have less enthusiasm for Jimbo. Winning is more important than personality IMO.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Regardless of what one thinks about Dabo's personality I think he's the best candidate right now if Alabama prefers someone with either Alabama or Saban ties. Having won a NC is a good prerequisite to have. The only other person worth considering might be Jimbo but the way FSU became a bit unglued this season I have less enthusiasm for Jimbo. Winning is more important than personality IMO.
I don't require or need Bama or Saban ties. I want the best coach for Alabama. If that coach also has Bama and/or Saban ties, that is just gravy. Personally, I think Dabo would be a great fit, but I also wonder if he would want to leave Clemson after he has built them into a power. He would be my first choice, though.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't require or need Bama or Saban ties. I want the best coach for Alabama. If that coach also has Bama and/or Saban ties, that is just gravy. Personally, I think Dabo would be a great fit, but I also wonder if he would want to leave Clemson after he has built them into a power. He would be my first choice, though.
I also meant to add that the way Jimbo handled the Jameis situation and a few others that I would not be a fan of him representing my university at all.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.