Attitude Shifts About Dabo?

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Hiring someone as an assistant is not quite the same as hiring someone to take over the entire program. Plus-Saban may have not been made aware of any possible issues concerning Dabo-believe it or not.
I believe it was stated last night that CNS tried to hire Dabo at least once (maybe 2 or 3 times?). Whatever happened in the past must not have been a big issue for CNS if he tried to hire Dabo. I will stick with my prediction a few weeks ago, when CNS steps down Dabo will be on the short list of candidates. He might not be offered the job, he might not even want the job, but I believe he will get serious consideration. A lot can happen between now and then, Dabo could flame out at Clemson. Kiffin might leave to be a HC somewhere and be in a good spot to take the job. Same for Pruitt. McElwain might prefer Bama over UF. There is no way to know what might happen but if CNS retires tomorrow then IMHO Dabo is the short list of candidates to replace him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wasn't doubting you or anyone. Simply asking a question to understand better.
Anyone who has any sources at all understands that, when you reveal a source, you lose it forever, aside from betraying a confidence or friendship. You can question other members, but it's pretty useless to query staff members about their sources...

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I believe it was stated last night that CNS tried to hire Dabo at least once (maybe 2 or 3 times?). Whatever happened in the past must not have been a big issue for CNS if he tried to hire Dabo. I will stick with my prediction a few weeks ago, when CNS steps down Dabo will be on the short list of candidates. He might not be offered the job, he might not even want the job, but I believe he will get serious consideration. A lot can happen between now and then, Dabo could flame out at Clemson. Kiffin might leave to be a HC somewhere and be in a good spot to take the job. Same for Pruitt. McElwain might prefer Bama over UF. There is no way to know what might happen but if CNS retires tomorrow then IMHO Dabo is the short list of candidates to replace him.
I watched the rebroadcast in which the coaches were talking throughout the game....offensive and defensive coaches. Muschamp, Narduzzi for the defense, McElwain, Fedora and Taggart for offense.

Muschamp really knows Coach Saban and Kirby's tendencies really well...and defended them on some things like phase of the DBs etc. Fedora told them all that Clemson's Specials teams were not good and the stats proved it, but the most telling....

Jim Mcelwain really respects "Coach" and Alabama........you can tell he was happy and proud for them winning that NC. "Its Special" You can tell Jim Mc had some good times at Bama and with Coach Saban....nothing but true respect and admiration for him and the program. A few times it seemed like he truly missed the program.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Most of us Bama fans want CNS's replacement to be a CNS clone but that ain't gonna happen. Enjoy these good days boys and girls because all good things eventually come to an end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I was a student at Bama when Swinney was there. He was in a fraternity that I had lots of friends in. I remember him being someone I wouldn't have wanted to date. haha. Maybe because he was too "lame." I liked fun guys and he just seemed blah, maybe a little fake. I can't really pinpoint it, but my roommate was a cleat chaser and never had any interest in him either. :tongue: There is just something about him--maybe the way he uses his past to get sympathy, attention--that drives me nuts. Just be who you are without having to have a sob story. Maybe I'm just mean but I'm tired of Dabo the Media Darling.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
Dabo has done a great job @ Clemson. But Clemson is NOT Alabama. Let's just enjoy CNS and what we have right now... it is special!

However, when time does come to replace CNS, I would not want DS anywhere near Tuscaloosa.

RTR!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
not really. i just don't like his style
He is doing a great job, but I can't put him in the top 5 until I see him back on the big stage with his next quarterback. There are is one Watson to every fifteen with that potential on paper. So he could be exceptional or a good coach, it's too early. At this point in his career, I would not be excited to see him at Bama,

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was a student at Bama when Swinney was there. He was in a fraternity that I had lots of friends in. I remember him being someone I wouldn't have wanted to date. haha. Maybe because he was too "lame." I liked fun guys and he just seemed blah, maybe a little fake. I can't really pinpoint it, but my roommate was a cleat chaser and never had any interest in him either. :tongue: There is just something about him--maybe the way he uses his past to get sympathy, attention--that drives me nuts. Just be who you are without having to have a sob story. Maybe I'm just mean but I'm tired of Dabo the Media Darling.
How could he afford to be in a fraternity with the financial problems the media likes to tell?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Having said that, I'm not sure what the best alternatives are.
Considering we could be as much as 10 years off from having to answer the question of Saban's replacement, there's literally no telling what options might be around then. Five years ago no one would have considered Dabo, in five years there will be more options.

With his history at Bama, I have reservations, but I don't think it matters - Saban will help pick his successor.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Most of us Bama fans want CNS's replacement to be a CNS clone but that ain't gonna happen. Enjoy these good days boys and girls because all good things eventually come to an end.

I'll agree somewhat with that statement. But not to a FINAL end, just a temporary end. Now, that END could be for only a few years.

Justification:

Coach Wallace Wade is hired and excels. There's a statue in front of B-DS. Not a Bama guy!

Wallace Wade leaves. Coach Frank Thomas is hired and does a great job. Not a Bama guy!

Frank Thomas leaves/dies. There's a statue of Coach Frank Thomas in front of B-DS.

Some pretty good years (Bama 63 Syracuse 6) followed by a Great Depression in the mid-1950's. Don't hire anyone with Big "Ears". No statues from these years.

Coach Paul Bryant shows up in 1958. Greatest FOOTBALL philosopher who ever lived and an awesome football Coach. He retires. There's a statue in front of B-DS. The B in B-DS is that B! A Bama guy who was CALLED by Momma to return because he was good, in fact very good at what he did!

Some lean to pretty good years. Perkins/Curry. NO statues.

Coach Gene Stallings is hired and wins first NC since CPB. A statue in front of B-DS!

Coach Stallings retires.

Some lean years. But almost anyone can win at Bama even someone who is unable to grab and hold a rope! We don't need to just look at FORMER Bama players to become THE Coach!!!!!!! I think that I could win at Alabama. That Crimson Tide blood runs through my veins/arteries!

Then Coach Saban arrives. 4 NCs in 7 years and could possibly have been 7 in 7 years, I think. A statue shows up QUICKLY! And we're not yet finished under this Coach. Since there's already a statue, we may have to make the "S" in B-DS a hyphenated -S plus another S. So, it could become B-D-SS or B-S-DS or S-B-DS.

After this "S" leaves when he's tooooo old to continue winning at 75 or 85 or 95, with several more NC's, it just may become SS for Saban Stadium.

Recommendation for when he RETIRES: don't hire a former Bama person unless he's the RIGHT Bama person returning to Momma!!!!!!!

So, unless football becomes two-hand touch Coed Football, Alabama will always have periods of great winning. It's our TRADITION! We win like NO other program!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I still wouldn't want to see Dabo walking on the Home Side of Bryant Denny..Ever..I just don't like his style of coaching or play, his player's runs their mouth before & during games, that's a reflection of their HC's style of play(The Richt Syndrome)..That's not Bama Football & never will be..

If Coach Cochran ever leaves Bama I wouldn't mind trying to lure Clemson's S&C'ing Coach though, their players were big, fast & strong..They obviously have a really really good S&C'ing Coach there righ now..

As for an alternative hire opposed to Dabo, when Coach Saban retire in 10-12yrs from Bama, I imagine college football will evolve back to a more Pro Style of play like Bama runs as the Spread Option offense fades away likthe the Wishbone Offense did back in the day..There will be better options out there than Dab once Coach Saban retires from Bama..Plus..There will be a mad rush by HC's wanting the Bama Job, not just college HC's, I betcha there will be some really really good Pro HC's that will want to be our HC as well..

knowledge

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 6, 2007
Madison
Dabo still reminds me of an Amway guy. I don't like his personality but that's really my perception and problem, I suppose.
Yeah, there is an aspect of coaching that requires selling your team and brand to recruits and boosters, but a gifted salesman comes across as genuine. Dabo comes across as a salesman.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Maybe you need to take a look at his overall record and rankings again and go back and look at Clemson's final rankings before Dabo. I understand a lot of folks don't care for his antics but you can't deny what he has done on the field.
I did just that. He's 75-27 at Clemson. Now that's not quite Les Miles at LSU good (112-32 which was almost good enough to get fired), but it's pretty good. Then I remembered he coached in the ACC, the weakest major conference. So what is so darn special about that record?

The fact is he still hasn't won the big game, he still hasn't knocked off a top 2 team and up until this year his resume was completely hollow. He did what, win the ACC with 4 losses? That makes a guy something special? Sorry, he hasn't done anything special outside of this year and that was with Watson.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
Anyone who has any sources at all understands that, when you reveal a source, you lose it forever, aside from betraying a confidence or friendship. You can question other members, but it's pretty useless to query staff members about their sources...
He wasn't asking about your sources. He was asking what Dabo's involvement was.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I was totally surprised they hired Dabo as their HC. Good for him, but I wouldn't hire him if I was an AD. And based on the Dubose years, most everyone on that staff was dysfunctional and had personal and professional issues. Very questionable staff at best. Lots of rumors that are more fact than rumor and things I don't care to rehash just enough to know I wouldn't hire him.

He has done an ok job at Clemson, and his recruiting is pretty good, but I am willing to bet his recruiting is not very clean based on his history and past. But once again good for him.

Hard for me to believe some of these guys using God in religion in winning football games and recruiting. Dabs is not as bad as some, but too over the top for me. That is just overly weird to me. God does not care about football games and which team wins, he leaves that up to Coach Bryant. Lol

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.