RIP Glenn Frey

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
The first song I thought of was "The One You Love".... Too many quality tunes....

Yes... Really so many great songs......it's hard to pick just one......Glenn, and every member of the Eagles, were/are such great artists IMHO, that every song is memorable (at least to me!!)

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
RIP Glen, Thanks for the music, and thanks for lending a hand in getting my favorite
Eagle straight, Joe Walsh...

"Joe Walsh agreed to try recovery in 1993, spurred on by Eagles bandmates Glenn Frey and Don Henley, who wanted to put the band back together after a 13-year hiatus, and wanted Walsh to be part of it."

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The Eagles were the first band in concert on campus when I got to Tuscaloosa in 1972.I really hate this. The Eagles can't be the same without Glenn Frey. IMO, he was the best song writer in the group.

Thanks for all the great tunes and RIP. Damn.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
I ordered "History of the Eagles" from Amazon 1/15 it's due the 25th, slow but it's prime,and every little bit helps. It's Blu-ray and over 3hrs, featuring the Genesis of the group and the early days to present (after the group re-united, Frey, Henley, Walsh, Tim Schmitt). Particularly interesting was when Henley and Frey lived above their friend Jackson Brown and the song that came from it. Also Linda Ronstadt played a part using Frey,on guitar and Henley, on Drums as musical and vocal back up. The 3 hrs. are interesting and amazing, I highly recommend it. (It's been on my DVR or over a year) The Blu-ray is supposed to have a little more content...I'm just glad I ordered it, especially in light of Glenn's passing. I saw it posted that he was involved with cocaine during his life. I don't know but who cares? He had Acute Ulcerative Colitis, he suffered with for years, and also Rheumatoid Arthritis, complicated by pneumonia. A huge loss, we will surely remember as we listen and watch the magic he and the Eagles gave us.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks Allie....I agree the band's history is fascinating.

As a young college student living in Gainesville from '72-'77 when country-rock (and the Eagles) were in their genesis I can relate to how significant they were in our culture growing up.

I bought every Eagles album as soon as they were released and saw them a few times in concert over that span.

I watched a few videos this morning before going to work with Linda Ronstadt sharing her recollection of the beginnings...here's one with her and then the second video is of Linda's induction into the R&R H.O.F. with presentation by Glenn Frey.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
RIP Glen, Thanks for the music, and thanks for lending a hand in getting my favorite
Eagle straight, Joe Walsh...

"Joe Walsh agreed to try recovery in 1993, spurred on by Eagles bandmates Glenn Frey and Don Henley, who wanted to put the band back together after a 13-year hiatus, and wanted Walsh to be part of it."

You know that is just an awesome story, Highway 59.

Thank you so much for sharing it.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The Eagles were the first band in concert on campus when I got to Tuscaloosa in 1972.I really hate this. The Eagles can't be the same without Glenn Frey. IMO, he was the best song writer in the group.

Thanks for all the great tunes and RIP. Damn.
Opened for Yes on the Close To The Edge tour. Was supposed to be an unusual 4 pm start time. Didn't happen because Yes' sound mixer [and record engineer] Eddie Offord got popped by the TPD. Delays in starting while he was bailed out. Not easy to do considering he was English and a flight risk.

When Eagles finally came on stage Frey said something about the" folks who dropped acid for Yes would be "peaking" during their set. Hope you all enjoy us!"

After the concert I recall someone sitting nearby saying that Yes may be the headliner now, but Eagles would be much bigger soon. He nailed it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I ordered "History of the Eagles" from Amazon 1/15 it's due the 25th, slow but it's prime,and every little bit helps. It's Blu-ray and over 3hrs, featuring the Genesis of the group and the early days to present (after the group re-united, Frey, Henley, Walsh, Tim Schmitt). Particularly interesting was when Henley and Frey lived above their friend Jackson Brown and the song that came from it. Also Linda Ronstadt played a part using Frey,on guitar and Henley, on Drums as musical and vocal back up. The 3 hrs. are interesting and amazing, I highly recommend it. (It's been on my DVR or over a year) The Blu-ray is supposed to have a little more content...I'm just glad I ordered it, especially in light of Glenn's passing. I saw it posted that he was involved with cocaine during his life. I don't know but who cares? He had Acute Ulcerative Colitis, he suffered with for years, and also Rheumatoid Arthritis, complicated by pneumonia. A huge loss, we will surely remember as we listen and watch the magic he and the Eagles gave us.
that was a really interesting documentary

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
:(

RIP Glenn.....and thanks for all the amazing music.....

Great picture. Not many people know about them getting together as a band for Linda Ronstadt. I used to have an old album with her singing Desperado.
IMO they made as much or more great music than any band in history, and I include the Beatles in that.
He is truly one of the greats.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Opened for Yes on the Close To The Edge tour. Was supposed to be an unusual 4 pm start time. Didn't happen because Yes' sound mixer [and record engineer] Eddie Offord got popped by the TPD. Delays in starting while he was bailed out. Not easy to do considering he was English and a flight risk.

When Eagles finally came on stage Frey said something about the" folks who dropped acid for Yes would be "peaking" during their set. Hope you all enjoy us!"

After the concert I recall someone sitting nearby saying that Yes may be the headliner now, but Eagles would be much bigger soon. He nailed it.
Yep, that's the concert.

You probably also recall Bonnie Raitt/Jackson Brown, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Kiki Dee/Elton John, Elvis, Allman Bros, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, canceled Rod Stewart, Buckingham Nicks, .... Concerts at Alabama in the 70's were amazing and either free or dirt cheap.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Yeah, this is a great documentary. I've watched it a couple of times.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Allie if you haven't seen that documentary you will LOVE IT. I can't believe just how much they carried a camera around when they toured because they caught a lot of great footage that you never see with other bands. Even though they were hot before I was born, my Mom had the Hotel California 45 album that I used to listen to as a kid and became a fan. I actually seen them live in 2003 in Biloxi at the Coliseum, and they sounded just as good live as they did on album which seems hard to do these days and most bands/singers seem to be made in the booth instead of having a true great voice. Henley and Frey demanded perfection and you could tell. If you look at Frey in the documentary you could tell he has been having issues in his fingers, my Grandfather had crippling arthritis in his fingers and they started out looking like Frey's did in the documentary before they folded up so I figured he was having issues before this came out.

Granted they say Frey was a butthole (along with Henley) but nobody can deny they were geniuses with music. I still love everything about their music and the way they used all kinds of different instruments over the years. What made me laugh was when they talked about Felder and Frey going at it because they wouldn't let Felder sing "Victim of Love", even Frey said even he took a backseat to singing because after all they had Don Henley aka Golden Throat according to Geffen:biggrin:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Booze preserves you, pot takes you down slowly, I guess....
It wasn't the pot......lol. More than likely that white stuff didn't help much.

Joe Walsh and Keith Richards outliving Glenn Frey proves that anything is possible in life.
Frey was more of a party-er than most think. Actually most of the Eagles themselves were pretty hard party-ers than most (except Keith Richards....lol). But I do agree, Walsh and KR lived a much tougher life due to drugs than Frey for sure.

Yep many don't realize just how instrumental they were in getting Walsh clean. IIRC, Don Felder actually drove him to rehab and he's been clean ever since. I have no doubt that if the Eagles didn't get back together for the Hell Freezes Over Tour we wouldn't have Walsh with us today. Him and Felder was quite a pair I know that.

And I will tell you another thing, Joe Walsh was and still is one helluva performer in person. Of course you can tell he's slowed a step or two on stage, but he moves around like he is younger than he is. He's one of those you can tell he loves to put on a show for a crowd.

Another thing that surprised me about Frey was his way to make them money. There is seriously no telling what him and Henley are worth since they own the majority of that Eagles Ltd. They owned everything when they went on the road so they made a killing. Of course their agent made a killing too as I think he just bought Ticketmaster too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.