Why havent the players carried Coach Saban on their shoulders after winning a title?

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Frank Beamer was carried off/around the field this year after winning their bowl game/his last game. I think that was appropriate.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
I wonder if it would be better to have a bucket of water instead of Gatorade ready. It would be cold but at least it would not be sticky. JMO

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I wonder if it would be better to have a bucket of water instead of Gatorade ready. It would be cold but at least it would not be sticky. JMO
The players know he dislikes it but he is powerless to stop it because of tradition. Its nearly comical, like revenge, for a one day he really worked their tails off. I would like to see a compilation of all of them. #bamafanproblems

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If he knows it's coming, he's with it. The 2009 knocked him 4 feet and came in from the side of his face. We corrected and the bath is now part of the process. #bamafanproblems.

Wrong way

Much better in 2011

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I think Coach Saban hates the ice bath, but allows the players to do it because he knows how much it means to them (and perhaps the fans)
As for the carry off...I think he prohibits it...Maybe feels like that's a little too much "bravo" or "in your face". I do believe the players know it is off limits, or otherwise would do it.
OTOH maybe after the 2009 cooler to the face, he doesn't trust nobody to pick him up off the ground and run him across the field.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I can guarantee you that CNS will be carried off the field after his last game at Alabama...assuming it's been announced that it is his last game.

Other than that, I don't ever see him being carried off.

As far as the Gatorade baths, even if he makes it seem like he doesn't like them, he most certainly does love why they happen. That cold and sticky soaking means you just won the national championship and you just got a very handsome bonus. In the moment, I'm sure it's not fun getting doused and being cold. But that discomfort fades very, very quickly.
And at Alabama, the only time I've seen the gatorade bath happen, is after a national championship victory!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
They did it with Bryant.They did it with Stallings.Even Bill Parcells got carried off after a Superbowl.If anyone deserves it it's coach Saban.Do coaches just not get carried off like that anymore?It's always one of the main images that sticks with coaches over time.After 4 titles i'm surprised it hasn't been done.
Saban is faster than Bryant was.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
They did it with Bryant.They did it with Stallings.Even Bill Parcells got carried off after a Superbowl.If anyone deserves it it's coach Saban.Do coaches just not get carried off like that anymore?It's always one of the main images that sticks with coaches over time.After 4 titles i'm surprised it hasn't been done.
They’ve been warned not to
He’s heavier than he looks
Would you want to be the guy who dropped the greatest coach of all time?
Slippery with all that Gatorade, probably sticky too

Take your pick

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
You're assuming that today's players have some understanding of what carrying your coach on your shoulders evokes in a much, much older generation of folks.

I was only 11 years old when Stallings won the National Championship in 1992. I really only understand what it means from my daddy and from black-and-white photos and videos.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I personally feel it is like spiking a ball after a TD(something we no longer do either) as bear said and Saban agrees, act like you been there before. Same reason we do not tear down goal posts or rush the field by fans, WE EXPECT to win big games and titles. When was last time bama upset a team? To upset a team you must be a large under dog, those days ended the day we hired Saban. Last loss to a under dog 2007 la Monroe.... 14 years ago Nicks first season. Unlike any other program we do things Saban and Bama way not like any other team. I like we do not put on stupid shows after win, shake the other guys hand say good game and see ya next year. Trust me most hate that last part.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.