Head to Head Recruiting vs. Ole Miss

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
You do understand that proof is next to impossible to provide- except the fact that Laremy Tunsil was driving 3 different vehicles during his time in Oxford and his mother and step dad moved from Florida and had jobs waiting for them in Oxford and have lived there the whole time he has been as Ole Miss. Treadwell ( who is from Chicago) committed to Ole Miss before ever visiting the campus. I could go on- but it seems you want nothing but hard core gotcha evidence.
You ever driven past the football players' parking lot in Tuscaloosa? Just saying...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I notice you have no explanation for Treadwell coming from Chicago to Oxford. And the fact that Nkemdiche's father took a rather high paying job at the University of Mississippi Hospital several months before Robert signed with the Rebels. I guess that is all a coincidence as well.
I don't have any direct knowledge about Treadwell, PT, which likely makes two of us. Nkemdiche's father, a doctor, would not be the first parent to relocate to be closer to his kids. Unless Ole Miss manufactured his license, what's the big deal?

Tunsil's last minute, love-at-first sight visit has always been the weird one.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
None of this though is a personal shot at him, I have nothing again him, and the way things work now I have no doubt that no matter what he's not getting his hands dirty. In fact, I think he seemed as surprised as a lot of other observers with that 2013 class.

We can keep going in circles. No, I'm not going to be able to produce documentation. But on the other hand, people who are arguing that nothing fishy is going on can't just explain things away with partial explanations. You have to cover 2012-2016 when you discuss the recruiting prowess of Hugh Freeze. You can't just explain away one recruit or two, no one ever said they bought the entire class. You have to be able to provide a sound logical argument for how the class as a whole came together. And... mind you, if I see some other explanation that makes sense, I'll apologize and shut up about it. But... I seriously doubt that will happen because there's so much smoke that it's going to be hard to a hard sell to prove there's no fire.
Actually, you have to go all the way back to 2005 or so. Freeze was brought onto Orgeron's staff as the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. And was the recruiting coordinator during this guy's tenure.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/saunders_david01.html

Saunders was just given an 8 YEAR show cause by the NCAA for his actions while at ULL. Tressel only got 5. Saunders was the lead recruiter for Jerrell Powe. If any of you recall the story, Powe committed to Auburn at the Army All-American game that year. When it was determined he wasn't going to have the grades he flipped to Ole Miss and Saunders went to work. Eventually, Ole Miss tried to clean up the mess that was made by hiring Orgeron and a high school recruiting coordinator who didn't know how to control a veteran staff. Houston Nutt tried to bring Saunders back on staff. That story is here:

http://colrebsez.blogspot.com/2011/08/former-ole-miss-coach-serves-notice-of.html

Do you remember Nutt's class of 2009? 37 committments. 4 from Alabama. 2 from Hargrave, Bobby Massey and Tig Barksdale who had to take his ACT in Wayne County---the same place Powe passed his ACT. 8 from Florida. From this class the SEC enacted the 25 Max rule.

It is not like this is new. Ole Miss was placed on probation back around 1994, about the same time as Auburn. When Tuberville first got there he only had 14 scholarships to give in 1996 because of sanctions yet brought in a class of more than 35, most of whom walked on, most of whom had scholarship offers from SEC schools including Rufus French the nation's number one tight end prospect.

The "Forward Rebels" group claimed to want to dispose of the good ole boy network at Ole Miss. But those good ole boys knew the tricks in recruiting and were attempting to clean it up. "Forward Rebels" won the day and all Freeze has to do is look the other way----same as Tuberville and Orgeron.

The Jerrell Powe happening is something that really embarrassed the school and the alumni and they have tried to distance themselves from Saunders but ULL filing suit against ACT has the thing open and in court again----when the Ole Miss people thought the October hearing between ULL and the NCAA was the end of it----and opened the door again to doing what they do for the 2016 class.

http://louisianarecord.com/stories/...st-act-following-ncaa-ruling-in-fraud-scandal

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Nkemdiche's father is a hospital administrator- not a doctor of any kind according to some people that knew him in Georgia. Treadwell's commitment caused 3-4 Big 10 schools to contact the NCAA- but nothing was done there.
I don't have any direct knowledge about Treadwell, PT, which likely makes two of us. Nkemdiche's father, a doctor, would not be the first parent to relocate to be closer to his kids. Unless Ole Miss manufactured his license, what's the big deal?

Tunsil's last minute, love-at-first sight visit has always been the weird one.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Very informative post. Maybe some of the Ole Miss apologists will start to come around somewhat.
Actually, you have to go all the way back to 2005 or so. Freeze was brought onto Orgeron's staff as the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. And was the recruiting coordinator during this guy's tenure.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/saunders_david01.html

Saunders was just given an 8 YEAR show cause by the NCAA for his actions while at ULL. Tressel only got 5. Saunders was the lead recruiter for Jerrell Powe. If any of you recall the story, Powe committed to Auburn at the Army All-American game that year. When it was determined he wasn't going to have the grades he flipped to Ole Miss and Saunders went to work. Eventually, Ole Miss tried to clean up the mess that was made by hiring Orgeron and a high school recruiting coordinator who didn't know how to control a veteran staff. Houston Nutt tried to bring Saunders back on staff. That story is here:

http://colrebsez.blogspot.com/2011/08/former-ole-miss-coach-serves-notice-of.html

Do you remember Nutt's class of 2009? 37 committments. 4 from Alabama. 2 from Hargrave, Bobby Massey and Tig Barksdale who had to take his ACT in Wayne County---the same place Powe passed his ACT. 8 from Florida. From this class the SEC enacted the 25 Max rule.

It is not like this is new. Ole Miss was placed on probation back around 1994, about the same time as Auburn. When Tuberville first got there he only had 14 scholarships to give in 1996 because of sanctions yet brought in a class of more than 35, most of whom walked on, most of whom had scholarship offers from SEC schools including Rufus French the nation's number one tight end prospect.

The "Forward Rebels" group claimed to want to dispose of the good ole boy network at Ole Miss. But those good ole boys knew the tricks in recruiting and were attempting to clean it up. "Forward Rebels" won the day and all Freeze has to do is look the other way----same as Tuberville and Orgeron.

The Jerrell Powe happening is something that really embarrassed the school and the alumni and they have tried to distance themselves from Saunders but ULL filing suit against ACT has the thing open and in court again----when the Ole Miss people thought the October hearing between ULL and the NCAA was the end of it----and opened the door again to doing what they do for the 2016 class.

http://louisianarecord.com/stories/...st-act-following-ncaa-ruling-in-fraud-scandal

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Nkemdiche's father is a hospital administrator- not a doctor of any kind according to some people that knew him in Georgia. Treadwell's commitment caused 3-4 Big 10 schools to contact the NCAA- but nothing was done there.
Why cite to "some people that knew him" when that kind of information can easily be found (to be clear, those "some people" don't know him)? Anyway, here's a story on the situation:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...cruit-riles-up-mississippi-legislature-010413

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
We keep saying that. Everyone (or just about ) seems convicted in the belief that it`s so. Unless there`s substantive evidence of money changing hands, it smacks of sour grapes with no more credence than what barn people or other fan bases say about us and the REC. Mind you, I`m not saying it`s not true. I would just be interested in knowing what the final results are in our head to head competition for recruits.
What do you think now?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
What do you think now?
What I think now is that apparently the NCAA feels that there`s enough credible evidence of improper actions related to multiple sports, including football, to allege such and launch a formal investigation. If you`re asking do I think that rules were apparently broken concerning the football program, the answer`s yes for the aforementioned reasons. I`ve never claimed that I didn`t necessarily believe that something untoward wasn`t occurring. I`ve just held the opinion that until something such as what`s occurred transpired, everything was opinion and speculation, that`s all.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'll say this, I don't think the NCAA has enough credibility to really change outlooks on this. At least they shouldn't in my mind. They are just affirming the obvious, that something fishy is going on and a lot of people know this.

The problem here isn't that players are getting paid. That does happen, it's inevitable to some extent. The problem is Ole Miss was buying guys that everyone knew they couldn't get otherwise. This wasn't a hey, here's some pocket money because you came and played for my school thing, or here's some money to help you make up your mind. This was, hey I know you don't care about Ole Miss at all, but here's enough money to make you come to Ole Miss type situation. Way way different from what usually goes on and everyone who paid attention knew it.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If you want name call, how about something a little more creative. Appeaser? Collaborationist? Mixer?

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
If you want name call, how about something a little more creative. Appeaser? Collaborationist? Mixer?
Given that it's Ole Miss, I think Apologist has an ironic, if perhaps excessively harsh, historical tone to it. While I would argue nobody sounded like a true apologist for Ole Miss, it was a humorous and cringe-worthy choice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.