NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
If only 10% of what I've been hearing about xCHF for years are true, I hope they burn everything down. Some of it is shocking, even in today's world.
Don't forget; he was the coach of the girls basketball team for years; things that make you Hmmm

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I think it all depends on how hard the NCAA hammer hits. Of course, my question is....how is it possible that Derek Dooley is on this list but Gene Chizik is NOT? Chizik did win a national title, Dooley never even won his division.

Maybe they should just go get Mack Brown.....
I think that Chizik stills has Cam's recruitment hanging over his head. Plus without Cam he would have been IMO a colossal failure.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If only 10% of what I've been hearing about xCHF for years are true, I hope they burn everything down. Some of it is shocking, even in today's world.
I think we're going to find out. Investigative reporters are smelling blood.

Worse for Freeze, a bunch of them are embarrassed about having swallowed his bogus line all the way up to the sinker.

Investigative reporters are a big enough headache. Investigative reporters indignant about their own embarrassment....well, I think I'd rather be between a mama bear and her cubs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that Chizik stills has Cam's recruitment hanging over his head. Plus without Cam he would have been IMO a colossal failure.
True, and I agree - but that doesn't explain how Derek Dooley IS on the list......he was a blundering fool, too. Besides, at least with Chizik the Rebels can look and say, "There's a guy who knows how to cheat and get away with it!"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Here's the thing: we are the most forgiving society in the world.

Think about it - who can you say American society has not yet forgiven who messed up? I exclude child predators because that's the one thing that rises to the level of justifiable homicide in most minds. So don't tell me Jared or Sandusky. The only notable exception I can think of is Pete Rose, who has continued to change his story only as more gets told about it. And OJ Simpson would be the other one.

We forgive everyone who says "I'm sorry" as long as it doesn't come out exposing them to not telling the whole truth.

Hugh Freeze actually has an opportunity here - as bad as what he did was. But it will be up to him to get out in front of the story and not be Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, or others who never can tell the whole truth.

We even forgave (mostly) Ray Lewis.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
As far as I know Dooley never had any NCAA issues. Chizik almost got busted even with Dye to help cover it up. Without Dye to advise I don't think Chizek could get by. I wonder if Chizek ever got another gig if he would bring back the Trooper/Looper side show.

True, and I agree - but that doesn't explain how Derek Dooley IS on the list......he was a blundering fool, too. Besides, at least with Chizik the Rebels can look and say, "There's a guy who knows how to cheat and get away with it!"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Shula would be a better pick than Dooley
Agreed, and he could even sell himself with, "I have experience rebuilding from a crippling probation" along with "I was single-handedly responsible for most of Alabama's pre-Saban losses," ha ha.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As far as I know Dooley never had any NCAA issues.
One could plausibly argue the ones left over by Lane Kiffin hurt his recruiting. I'll accept that.

They weren't big issues (no additional sanction), but they couldn't possibly have made it easier for him.

Chizik almost got busted even with Dye to help cover it up.
I think you're giving Pat Dye WAY too much credit here; this was a guy who single-handedly blew his own career up while dealing with the NCAA. The thing with Chizik is that he was in essence hired as Mr Smith innocently going to Washington and finding sin.

Without Dye to advise I don't think Chizek could get by. I wonder if Chizek ever got another gig if he would bring back the Trooper/Looper side show.
All that may be true, but again - HOW does this make DOOLEY a candidate? I can get the part about Chizik may carry too much baggage just from innuendo, but how in the world is a colossal failure at Tennessee suddenly one of the leading names to coach at Ole Miss?

Did Ole Miss literally not learn anything from the last retread they hired, Houston Nutt, who has more to do with their current problems thanks to his lawsuit than doth Rev Freeze?

81s observation is spot on - Mike Shula's name is nowhere in the mix, but he'd be a better actual choice than either Chizik or Dooley. Of course, I think they ought to go back and see if Tuberville will come back to Oxford so they can put him in that pine box.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
All that may be true, but again - HOW does this make DOOLEY a candidate? I can get the part about Chizik may carry too much baggage just from innuendo, but how in the world is a colossal failure at Tennessee suddenly one of the leading names to coach at Ole Miss?

I think the only reason he is a candidate is because I think it will be extremely hard to find anyone to come into that mess. If the sanctions are as bad as I hope they will be Ole Miss will be in a world of hope trying to find anyone to take it. If I was an up and coming coach that was looking for my first job I wouldn't touch it. It will be interesting who they will end up with. I agree that Shula would be a LOT better choice than Dooley.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I think the only reason he is a candidate is because I think it will be extremely hard to find anyone to come into that mess. If the sanctions are as bad as I hope they will be Ole Miss will be in a world of hope trying to find anyone to take it. If I was an up and coming coach that was looking for my first job I wouldn't touch it. It will be interesting who they will end up with. I agree that Shula would be a LOT better choice than Dooley.
I think that is why he is so high on that list. Ole Miss needs someone to play captain of a heavily damaged ship that is being towed to port. His job will be to keep it from taking on any more water until they can get it to dry dock.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

This is why I think they're stuck.

It's sorta like the movie "We Are Marshall," without all the sad feelings for all the dead players. The program is going to get hit with a bomb. No established coach is going to go clean it up, which leaves you with an up and coming coach. Indeed, this is the kind of job that screams ONLY for someone who:

a) cannot get a job elsewhere (which is hardly conducive to rebuilding Ole Miss)
b) is a diamond in the rough and can turn things around - a guy below the big name's radar.......and yet there's literally no way to know who that will be.

Go back and look at Nick Saban pre-LSU and BE HONEST - do any of you look at his record at Michigan St and say, "There's a guy who can turn it all around?"

No, you don't. Saban was a middling .500 football coach entering 1999, a guy with an 0-3 bowl record and an overall record of 25-23-1, who had never finished better than 5th in an 11-team league and was assumed to be a .500 coach since they play Ohio State either of his first two seasons.

He had ONE good year at Michigan State, and even that year had not only had a bunch of narrow wins but two blowout losses. Three plays the other way and Michigan State is 6-5 again.

But Saban has the name of a former head coach and LSU rolled the dice. Even his first season he had an insanely embarrassing loss to UAB. After 19 games at LSU, he was 12-7 and five of those losses weren't even really close.

Then he turned it around.

That's the thing here - Ole Miss literally has to find something close to next Nick Saban buried in the rough out there somewhere, a guy nobody else will give a chance.

I think Dooley is only a candidate because his father was an SEC legend. I think if his last name was Smith that it would not be on this list at all. Plus, Ole Miss has this obsession with former SEC personnel (Sloan/Brewer/Cutcliffe/Nutt/Freeze - only Tubs and Orgeron were different, and nobody thought Orgeron was on the radar nationally anyway).

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Go back and look at Nick Saban pre-LSU and BE HONEST - do any of you look at his record at Michigan St and say, "There's a guy who can turn it all around?"
Yeah, I did. Can't remember why, though. I was working in Louisiana at the time (prior to moving here) and thought "Uh-oh. LSU's got a winner here."

In fairness, though, my gut also told me that Shula would be a good coach for us. Maybe that one was just gas.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I think Dooley is only a candidate because his father was an SEC legend. I think if his last name was Smith that it would not be on this list at all. Plus, Ole Miss has this obsession with former SEC personnel (Sloan/Brewer/Cutcliffe/Nutt/Freeze - only Tubs and Orgeron were different, and nobody thought Orgeron was on the radar nationally anyway).
Hasn't Dooley's Tennessee separation money run out by now? This one may be a good fit. He wasn't a great coach but I think he is probably an honorable man, and he may be ready to suck it up for a couple of years and pop 10 or 20 mill into the old retirement fund.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

No, you don't. Saban was a middling .500 football coach entering 1999, a guy with an 0-3 bowl record and an overall record of 25-23-1, who had never finished better than 5th in an 11-team league and was assumed to be a .500 coach since they play Ohio State either of his first two seasons.

He had ONE good year at Michigan State, and even that year had not only had a bunch of narrow wins but two blowout losses. Three plays the other way and Michigan State is 6-5 again.

But Saban has the name of a former head coach and LSU rolled the dice.
Because he took over an MSU team riddled with NCAA sanctions and still fielded a respectable team.

"When Saban arrived in East Lansing, Michigan prior to the 1995 season, MSU had not had a winning season since 1990, and the team was sanctioned by the NCAA for recruiting violations committed under his predecessor and former mentor, George Perles."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.