NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

If we are talking about $100 handshakes or buying kids food, clothes, or furniture, I have no problem with that, even if it happens at Auburn. I even understand a leg up for a parent's employment in the university town to be near his son, as long as the salary is not inflated to get the recruit. Paying thousands of dollars to turn a kid's commitment is shameful and should not be tolerated. I hope Bama doesn't do that kind of thing.
Also apparently paying to not visit other schools, among other things

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

My long standing concern is that they really don't have to prove anything. All that they have to do is conclude that cheating took place. They can do with based on the word of a witness who is never identified, and evidence that is never presented to the school to refute/disprove. This is not a judicial process with oversight. This is a back room process heavily influenced by politics.

If they want to slam Ole Miss, they will, and there is nothing that Ole Miss can do about it.
Ah no. The Auburn fiasco with Scam pretty much did away with any real enforcement as far as sanctions against any school. UNC. Miami, and Auburn have all pretty much skated in the last 2or 3 years. The boogs provided a blue print if you will of how to avoid punishment and subsequent offenders are following it to perfection. Lawyer up and deny, deny , deny!

As I said right after the Scam affair, schools would measure the risk/reward and cheat like never before. Unfortunately, I was right. Auburn had the Cyrus Jones incident, which as anyone knows the details is sordid to say the least, and Nothing happened to them. Ole Sis has obviously stepped up their recruiting profile for unknown reasons and nothing will happen to them. The NCAA is scared to death that schools especially Power 5 schools, will wise up and cut them out of all big time sports including basketball which is their bread and butter. Without the NCAA tournament, the NCAA would have zero money.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brtraker

1st Team
Nov 5, 2000
Decatur, Ala.

My instincts tell me that the NCAA is also aware of recent failures and embarrassments and that they appear toothless. Therefore I would expect that unless they have the goods on a school they will not proceed with charges. Now, the offense level may be low but provable. If a pattern is shown, even in low-level offenses, the punishment may be on the high end, as much as possible, due to the care in not charging on borderline offenses or those that they may be afraid of losing. If the number of offenses is indeed is thirty or so I look to see them get their pee pee whacked pretty good. I also believe all the BS coming from rebelland poo pooing the offenses is them trying not to lose their recruits.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Ah no. The Auburn fiasco with Scam pretty much did away with any real enforcement as far as sanctions against any school. UNC. Miami, and Auburn have all pretty much skated in the last 2or 3 years. The boogs provided a blue print if you will of how to avoid punishment and subsequent offenders are following it to perfection. Lawyer up and deny, deny , deny!

As I said right after the Scam affair, schools would measure the risk/reward and cheat like never before. Unfortunately, I was right. Auburn had the Cyrus Jones incident, which as anyone knows the details is sordid to say the least, and Nothing happened to them. Ole Sis has obviously stepped up their recruiting profile for unknown reasons and nothing will happen to them. The NCAA is scared to death that schools especially Power 5 schools, will wise up and cut them out of all big time sports including basketball which is their bread and butter. Without the NCAA tournament, the NCAA would have zero money.

That is a great point, but I still wouldn't risk it when you clearly don't have to.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I stated at the beginning of the thread that I believe that the NCAA was not looking very hard the last few years, and I believe it had to do with the number of high profile scandals that happened in a short period of time. Kind of a business desicion for the league in general. Does anyone else agree? I don't believe it is because of team having better strategies, and I think its to minimize what goes on because too much of it was exposed in small window a few years ago. Imo, the only reason they are investigating Ole Miss is because other teams demanded it.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I stated at the beginning of the thread that I believe that the NCAA was not looking very hard the last few years, and I believe it had to do with the number of high profile scandals that happened in a short period of time. Kind of a business desicion for the league in general. Does anyone else agree? I don't believe it is because of team having better strategies, and I think its to minimize what goes on because too much of it was exposed in small window a few years ago. Imo, the only reason they are investigating Ole Miss is because other teams demanded it.
And those programs, from all round the country, wield far more power than ole miss and its legal team

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

We had a crack team of lawyers for our case in 2002. Look how far that got us. If they want you, they're gonna get you.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'll repeat what others have already said in numerous other threads - no FBS school is clean.
Let us make no mistake. We live in a world in which a free hamburger or a golf cart ride could be a violation. It is impossible to technically have all your players truly eligible under such crazy amateurism rules.

However, there are degrees. I do not at all like anyone trying to compare what is going on at Ole Miss with business as usual. It's not. There's a difference between giving a kid a hundred dollar handshake, making him feel (very) welcome, helping him make his mind up, etc... to flat out buying him. There's a huge difference.

The fact is for all the fuss, just flat out buying kids is not that common. It sticks out to. We know who the top schools are, we know who the top coaches are, it sticks out like a sore thumb when a player has his interest completely bought. Sure players are steered, they are encouraged, but it's not often that a mediocre SEC school can go into the heart of Big 10 country and Big 12 country and land their top guy. That just doesn't happen normally, that's not business as usual.

So, do I really have an issue with someone gives a guy headed to a school already, something extra? Not really, what does that change? That doesn't do anything in reality. The issue I have is when a guy with 0 interest in a school has his destination picked entirely on the basis of money. That's called being a free agent and that makes them a pro athlete.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al

I think it's like the saying....money walks the walk and talks the talk.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He didn't present any facts and doesn't seem to know the specific allegations, so he is just trying to protect his image. Maybe he is in a contract year with CBS.
The whole part about the NCAA not sending him a letter is the biggest part of what he said. Seems like he would have gotten word if everything predates the Freeze staff like Ole Miss wants to claim.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The whole part about the NCAA not sending him a letter is the biggest part of what he said. Seems like he would have gotten word if everything predates the Freeze staff like Ole Miss wants to claim.
You could be right, but even he admitted that he had no idea if a former coach received such a notification. I certainly don't know.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

You could be right, but even he admitted that he had no idea if a former coach received such a notification. I certainly don't know.
The writer said that, not Nutt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Nutt sounds a lot like Wimp Sanderson, who is not someone you would mess with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.