NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Again, witness harassment of any type, at any level, is disgusting. You are preaching to the choir there. But do you just accept that these kids told the truth? Would you accept that if they were telling the same story about Alabama? I don't. People lie. Lots of reasons, but you can't escape it - people lie.

You have a right to face your accuser. Even if you are a complete jerk, you still have that right. And I don't mean a legal right, but as a matter of principle - no accusation should be allowed to go unchallenged. Even if the accusation fits our world view - maybe especially if an accusation fits our world view.
What if you have a former employee of the Ole Miss athletic Department corroborate the story?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I don't know if Selma meant it this way or not, but taking someone to court because they called you a cheater (are you listening Houston Nutt) is downright silly. All coaches are called all sorts of names. Get freaking over yourself.

Taking someone to court for claiming they got your shirt for free is also stupid. This "lie" has generated more PR than they have ever had. The players ought to countersue for unpaid publicity. Rags suing these players is like White Star Lines suing the North Pole for the iceberg that Titanic rammed into. If the NCAA case centered on the free shirts then maybe Rags would have a gripe. But free shirts to two players is not what is bringing down Ole Miss -- there are 17 Level 1 infractions on the football team.

. Totally Silly.

Last edited:

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I can see this both ways - having the right to face your accuser vs. downright harassment of a student athlete. Although not a true court of law, if I represented these kids and had a choice to attend / not attend, I would advise them not to. The testimony given would be used by Ole Miss potentially in a civil trial. No need to give a University with seemingly endless resources the ability to drag their name through the mud.

And in the case of Ole Miss, think of the dichotomy of shielding the names of boosters caught up in the NCAA mess as compared to harassing two student athletes. Ole Miss is dirty, dirty, dirty...and it's past time to take out the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Just think what Ole Miss's defense could possibly be in defending these 21 some odd infractions, with 15 being major. "At least we weren't charged with over 100 NCAA infractions like the University of Florida and HC Charlie Pell was during the '80's. It totally redefined the definition and meaning for the term "Pell Grant"

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I don't know if Selma meant it this way or not, but taking someone to court because they called you a cheater (are you listening Houston Nutt) is downright silly. All coaches are called all sorts of names. Get freaking over yourself.

Taking someone to court for claiming they got your shirt for free is also stupid. This "lie" has generated more PR than they have ever had. The players ought to countersue for unpaid publicity. Rags suing these players is like White Star Lines suing the North Pole for the iceberg that Titanic rammed into. If the NCAA case centered on the free shirts then maybe Rags would have a gripe. But free shirts to two players is not what is bringing down Ole Miss -- there are 17 Level 1 infractions on the football team.

. Totally Silly.
They didn't just call him a cheater - they blamed a specific scandal on him when every one knew good and hell well that wasn't the case. That's why civil courts exist.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The "rights" you have as a voluntary member of a private institution is that the private institution will uphold its promises to you - as in, they will follow the rules they have said they will follow.

So, what rule states Ole Miss can "face their accusers"? Our government is bound by that, but is the NCAA? I honestly don't know for certain, but I have my doubts that confrontation and/or cross examination of witnesses is within their rights as a member institution of the NCAA.

As for donut boy, the NCAA broke their rules in allowing him to testify against Alabama secretly. So the question is not should Alabama have been able to cross examine him. The question is should Alabama have known who made some of the accusations against it? The absolute answer is "yes", because those were the rules. That was the promise made to members of the NCAA. The NCAA knew the identity would call into question the veracity of the allegations and chose to hide the facts that would hurt its case. It chose to break its own rules to get its pound of flesh.

Ole Miss has no right it hasn't been promised by the rules of the NCAA. So can anyone show me the rule that states they can confront these witnesses? If so, I'll support that 100%. Otherwise, its a moot argument.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

. Totally Silly.
Well I'm not a lawyer, but I DO remember this: when the whole Gene Jelks saga was unfolding at Alabama, one of the coaches accused was a guy named Jimmy Fuller. I think he's the one that filed a lawsuit in 1993/94 time frame. What I vividly recall reading, though, is that filing a lawsuit was generally regarded as an absolutely boneheaded move because - as one of the principal attorneys said - "I have subpoena power, the NCAA doesn't."

One of my best friends is a long-term, long-time MSU student who at best passively follows what's going on. I've been keeping him up to date, and while he appreciates the rivalry aspect, he doesn't overly spend his time worrying about what Ole Miss does. When I informed him what was going on here, he (a pretty sharp guy) said, "Why are they doing THAT?"

He still lives in MS and this whole thing is reinforcing - at every step - that much of the PTB at Ole Miss consists of backwoods hayseeds without an ounce of real world sophistication. Keep in mind - I'm basically "from" there, so I'm not ripping the state OR the people as a whole; but this kind of mentality is the same kind of mentality that would lead a group to commit the infamous 1964 Mississippi Burning murders. Before anyone gets all huffy, I'm NOT saying there's anything resembling a moral equivalence between these situations, I'm pointing out that the isolated, backwoods mentality that doesn't bother to think things through (like most notably - how in the world are you going to make THREE people disappear and think nobody would get suspicious or that one of your large group wouldn't have a conscience?) and actually believes it can just pass off any old story in the world.

This entire thing has become a William Faulkner-style comedy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just think what Ole Miss's defense could possibly be in defending these 21 some odd infractions, with 15 being major. "At least we weren't charged with over 100 NCAA infractions like the University of Florida and HC Charlie Pell was during the '80's. It totally redefined the definition and meaning for the term "Pell Grant"

The sanctions at Ole Miss may redefine the meaning of the phrase "Stuck In A Deep Freeze," too.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I know one thing, if they defend this like they've been defending on the football field the last few years, they could be in for a long day lol.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
what is it with these clearly crooked non-blueblood schools and "the fambly"
That's all they have to offer when winning isn't an option.

We can offer the immortality of a dynasty with a rich history of winning and a high likelihood of championships.

(Note: Even Bama uses "Family" in some of it's appeals to recruits. It's a strong pull for athletes who may have grown up in broken homes. But we have the added benefit of saying, "We're a family...but we also dominate.")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.