NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They didn't just call him a cheater - they blamed a specific scandal on him when every one knew good and hell well that wasn't the case. That's why civil courts exist.
This is exactly what I was talking about. Every One knew Nutt did not do it. No harm done. Just get over it.

I understand you can sue anyone for anything and that is Nutt and Rags right -- but I still think both are being childish.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Overall, SBNation is a great site but Godfrey is an Ole Miss homer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry, but I don't recall (and I'm sure I would) Ole Miss stepping into the breach and saying that coach at Memphis could afford an SUV, do you?

Of course not, they piled on us like the rest of the SEC did.

So quite frankly, they can kiss my.......

Furthermore, this jackweed is forgetting that what arouses the suspicion is that this isn't an isolated "something might look a little fishy."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest problem with SBNation and other online sports news site of this freelance-ish type style is that they will tend to have some "homer is as homer does" pieces.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm convinced Ole Miss is guilty, but you still hate to see the capricious nature of the NCAA. https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...gation-scandal-donte-moncrief-brother-spencer
As I mentioned yesterday, Godfrey is toting his alma mater's water on the subject. SBN is the perfect site for it, too. Their guys made it pretty clear yesterday on Twitter they don't like the rules violated, so they don't care they were violated.

Find this very funny, too. Just two weeks ago Ole Miss fans would be quick to post pictures of Alabama players' cars and ask how they got them. Now, it's wrong to assume an African American kid can afford a 4-5 year old Dodge Charger.

Also, Dan Wolken had an exchange with John Infante, a former NCAA school athletic department employee.

wolken1.jpg

wolken2.jpg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As I mentioned yesterday, Godfrey is toting his alma mater's water on the subject. SBN is the perfect site for it, too. Their guys made it pretty clear yesterday on Twitter they don't like the rules violated, so they don't care they were violated.

Find this very funny, too. Just two weeks ago Ole Miss fans would be quick to post pictures of Alabama players' cars and ask how they got them. Now, it's wrong to assume an African American kid can afford a 4-5 year old Dodge Charger.

Also, Dan Wolken had an exchange with John Infante, a former NCAA school athletic department employee.
Yeah, I've been following their comments. Funny, I don't remember any of them having an issue with the rules we supposedly violated some years ago. And I realize SBNation hasn't been around that long. Part their issue is that Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss made SEC football fun for them, and are upset that train has been derailed. Almost all of them have disdain for Nick Saban's brand of football, and with the two wins in a row and nearly three, Hugh Freeze's Ole Miss represented the best antidote to that that we've seen in the past half decade. JMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Funny, I don't remember any of them having an issue with the rules we supposedly violated some years ago
Here's the thing - we are all selfish. If we were to be totally honest with ourselves we would discover that our view of the world, and everything in it, changes based on our immediate needs. We see this in others, but rarely see it in ourselves.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Yeah, I've been following their comments. Funny, I don't remember any of them having an issue with the rules we supposedly violated some years ago. And I realize SBNation hasn't been around that long. Part their issue is that Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss made SEC football fun for them, and are upset that train has been derailed. Almost all of them have disdain for Nick Saban's brand of football, and with the two wins in a row and nearly three, Hugh Freeze's Ole Miss represented the best antidote to that that we've seen in the past half decade. JMO.
Wolken was probably still in undergrad when all that went down for us. I get your sentiment, but we can't hold him to that standard.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Here's the thing - we are all selfish. If we were to be totally honest with ourselves we would discover that our view of the world, and everything in it, changes based on our immediate needs. We see this in others, but rarely see it in ourselves.
I get that, and here is where I'm coming from. We were railroaded and no one came to our defense. No one in the media, no one in the conference, no opposing fanbases. They cheered the ncaa on.

I don't want to see anyone railroaded. If you're cheating, and get caught, you need to pay the fine. If the ncaa is going overboard in order to get their pound of flesh, that's not right, whether its us or even Auburn.
Wolken was probably still in undergrad when all that went down for us. I get your sentiment, but we can't hold him to that standard.
You're right. And I'm not trying to hold the SBNation guys to an unreasonable standard. But I've seen their comments about Alabama, and I've got a good idea where they would have stood back then. But we can disregard that because I truly can't prove it. But what I do believe is that last statement, that they "love" Ole Miss because they were seemingly the answer to the Nick Saban/Alabama riddle. Heck, Spencer Hall out and out said that in his article on the matter. And it's not that I take it personal. Alabama fatigue is real. I just believe that's where most of these guys are coming from - not some noble mindset.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I get that, and here is where I'm coming from. We were railroaded and no one came to our defense. No one in the media, no one in the conference, no opposing fanbases. They cheered the ncaa on.

I don't want to see anyone railroaded. If you're cheating, and get caught, you need to pay the fine. If the ncaa is going overboard in order to get their pound of flesh, that's not right, whether its us or even Auburn.
Yep, they cheered on the NCAA because they really felt that 1) If Alabama is being accused, they must be guilty and 2) Alabama being hurt by the NCAA helped them as it weakened one of the strongest teams in the country. Fans of other programs are now cheering on the NCAA for those same reasons as they go after Ole Miss and other programs around the country. But when the NCAA comes after our schools, we see something completely different. We see an institution that plays by rules that it makes up as it goes along. The NCAA can and will do whatever it wants, and the schools themselves have no recourse.

I think that Ole Miss is as dirty a program as has ever played the game, but the NCAA is still the greater enemy in this one for me. I'll never pull for the NCAA in any of these cases - even if they went after Michigan (well, I hope that I would still feel that way if they went after UM). The only time that I cheered for the NCAA was when they slammed PSU, and that was wrong of me and the NCAA as it should have been outside of the NCAA's purview.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

View attachment 2679
Looky what I found when searching for John Infante---------

http://mssportslaw.olemiss.edu/files/2014/06/MSLR-3.2-Long.pdf

http://mssportslaw.olemiss.edu/

Seems like they went "All In" in about 2011-----just about the time everybody was chasing Cam.

Godfrey seems to be the only one left that will carry the mail for them---even McCready has slowed his roll to some extent and the the guys at the Clarion Ledger and the NEMS Daily Journal are just inept.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yep, they cheered on the NCAA because they really felt that 1) If Alabama is being accused, they must be guilty and 2) Alabama being hurt by the NCAA helped them as it weakened one of the strongest teams in the country. Fans of other programs are now cheering on the NCAA for those same reasons as they go after Ole Miss and other programs around the country. But when the NCAA comes after our schools, we see something completely different. We see an institution that plays by rules that it makes up as it goes along. The NCAA can and will do whatever it wants, and the schools themselves have no recourse.

I think that Ole Miss is as dirty a program as has ever played the game, but the NCAA is still the greater enemy in this one for me. I'll never pull for the NCAA in any of these cases - even if they went after Michigan (well, I hope that I would still feel that way if they went after UM). The only time that I cheered for the NCAA was when they slammed PSU, and that was wrong of me and the NCAA as it should have been outside of the NCAA's purview.
I'm sure this has been said but the only reason I have cheered the NCAA in this situation is because of the attitude Ole Miss and specifically Freeze had during this whole process. It seemed so incredibly arrogant and short sighted. But I agree the NCAA is a mess of an organization and really does whatever it wants at a given time. Its almost like the actions of a politician not a regulatory body. When it feels it has the "political capital" or feels that it needs to "make a statement" it does so in whatever way they want.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Looky what I found when searching for John Infante---------

http://mssportslaw.olemiss.edu/files/2014/06/MSLR-3.2-Long.pdf

http://mssportslaw.olemiss.edu/

Seems like they went "All In" in about 2011-----just about the time everybody was chasing Cam.

Godfrey seems to be the only one left that will carry the mail for them---even McCready has slowed his roll to some extent and the the guys at the Clarion Ledger and the NEMS Daily Journal are just inept.
I chuckled when I saw the name of the Executive Editor of the Ole Miss Law Review;

Executive Editor–Spender Durden (should be "Spencer")

Ironic that you misspell the executive editor's name.

And somewhat fruedian given Ole Miss' current situation, wouldn't you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.