NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned) - Page 136
Page 136 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3686126129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143146 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,768 of 2181
  1. #1756
    Thread Starter

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    No, still dragging on. N Carolina has weathered the storm and recruiting is on the rise again. That is funny. Want to talk about a toothless NCAA? N Carolina went to the ACC championship game a couple years ago, while still under (what seems like a ten year) investigation. NCAA is a big joke if you are not textbookgated.

    Evidently "if you come to N Carolina we will make sure you graduate without having to go to class" is not considered cheating by the toothless tiger, LOL.
    There are a few issues at play here.

    First, the case is still ongoing because new evidence came out awhile back (similar to Ole Miss).

    Second, this is a tricky case because UNC is pointing at the fact the students were not solely athletes. Therefore, the NCAA can't say the classes were an extra benefit. If the NCAA is out of the way, SACS would be the only other group left to do something about it. Anyone think UNC is going to less its accreditation? Unlikely.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  2. Advertisement
  3. #1757

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by uaintn View Post
    If this is the end of the NCAA, I will not shed a tear. Get the oxen and pull down the building. Sow the land with salt. Good riddance to a petty unaccountable bureaucracy that long ago lost sight of its reason for being.
    This!
    Some people are immune to good advice.

  4. #1758
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    4,819

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Thank you all for sharing with us your disdain for this thread and overall belief that the NCAA is worthless. Don't know how we've managed to keep this thread going without such insight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #1759

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I predict the NCCA will make Ole Miss vacate its wins so we will be undefeated in 2015. Vacating wins as punishment is a piece of crap sanction since everyone knows how the game(s) turned out and nobody cares after the fact anyway. The mix or not to mix food thread on NS is a lot more interesting than this thread.
    Actually, if they do have to vacate, we still keep our loss.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #1760

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I predict the NCCA will make Ole Miss vacate its wins so we will be undefeated in 2015. Vacating wins as punishment is a piece of crap sanction since everyone knows how the game(s) turned out and nobody cares after the fact anyway. The mix or not to mix food thread on NS is a lot more interesting than this thread.
    I take it you must be a mixer

  7. #1761
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    8,744

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    There are a few issues at play here.

    First, the case is still ongoing because new evidence came out awhile back (similar to Ole Miss).

    Second, this is a tricky case because UNC is pointing at the fact the students were not solely athletes. Therefore, the NCAA can't say the classes were an extra benefit. If the NCAA is out of the way, SACS would be the only other group left to do something about it. Anyone think UNC is going to less its accreditation? Unlikely.
    I am not a lawyer but that is just a stupid rule. If we let some non athletes have good grades without going to class then we can let all our athletes have them too. If they give each freshman student two thousand dollars ...... then they can give all the freshman athletes $2,000 too? Yeah, I can see how the NCAA would have problems with that. Man, now that would be a recruiting tool. Come to NC and get $2,000 your first year!
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  8. #1762
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    I am not a lawyer but that is just a stupid rule. If we let some non athletes have good grades without going to class then we can let all our athletes have them too. If they give each freshman student two thousand dollars ...... then they can give all the freshman athletes $2,000 too? Yeah, I can see how the NCAA would have problems with that. Man, now that would be a recruiting tool. Come to NC and get $2,000 your first year!
    As alluded earlier in this thread, I think the NCAA is wrestling with its own precedent from UTe / Tee Martin / Kramer / Fulmer / Johanneigmeier (sp?) fiasco.

    Back in the early 2000s, they let UTe skate on academic fraud -- in their case, giving college credit for stacking chairs -- saying that content of college courses was out of their purview.

    Essentially, close eyes, put fingers in ears, and hum.

    Now they're trying to hang UNC for something really similar. I don't know how they reconcile those two positions. But if I'm UNC, I make them try.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

  9. #1763
    BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,514

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I predict the NCCA will make Ole Miss vacate its wins so we will be undefeated in 2015. Vacating wins as punishment is a piece of crap sanction since everyone knows how the game(s) turned out and nobody cares after the fact anyway. The mix or not to mix food thread on NS is a lot more interesting than this thread.
    Vacating wins does not erase our loss I don't think- just gives the conference an unbalanced record.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #1764
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    12,180

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Vacating wins does not erase our loss I don't think- just gives the conference an unbalanced record.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See the roll eyes after 2015.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but never preserved except in memory LLAP" Leonard Nimoy

  11. #1765
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    424

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    As alluded earlier in this thread, I think the NCAA is wrestling with its own precedent from UTe / Tee Martin / Kramer / Fulmer / Johanneigmeier (sp?) fiasco.

    Back in the early 2000s, they let UTe skate on academic fraud -- in their case, giving college credit for stacking chairs -- saying that content of college courses was out of their purview.

    Essentially, close eyes, put fingers in ears, and hum.

    Now they're trying to hang UNC for something really similar. I don't know how they reconcile those two positions. But if I'm UNC, I make them try.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...tom&id=1745159

    I'll just leave this here. This is what they are trying to work around. Can you say precedent? Anything that happens is used as justification for something that is two steps worse.

  12. #1766
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Quote Originally Posted by OBMS View Post
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...tom&id=1745159

    I'll just leave this here. This is what they are trying to work around. Can you say precedent? Anything that happens is used as justification for something that is two steps worse.
    Dang, that brought back some bad memories. I thought I had those names memorized like Arya Stark knows her hit list. I remembered the leading players, but had forgotten a lot of the side actors.

    I need a scotch.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

  13. #1767
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    424

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Yeah, every time I hear Roy Kramer's name I gag and when they credit him with the SEC Championship game, I cringe hoping lightning doesn't strike.

    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...-Schiller.aspx

  14. #1768

    Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

    Still makes my blood pressure spike...
    Some people are immune to good advice.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!