NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Well, these guys are very plugged into the OM program - they know the right people, and they aren't worried at all.
I wonder if is because they know the infractions were not that serious or just know the NCAA has no appetite for penalties like Alabama or USC got any more? The length of time that Tunsil had to sit leads me to believe there was a whole lot of something going on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

I wonder if is because they know the infractions were not that serious or just know the NCAA has no appetite for penalties like Alabama or USC got any more? The length of time that Tunsil had to sit leads me to believe there was a whole lot of something going on there.

I wonder if they're whistling through the graveyard like our "in the know" boosters and insiders were in the '90's.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Maybe Bro. Freeze should cue up the old gospel tune, "Sin Will Take You Farther Than You Want To Go".
There kind of people use the Scripture for their own selfish purposes. Christ said it was O.K. to pull your oxen out of a ditch on the Sabbath. Christ did not say it was O.K. to push your oxen into the ditch so you could pull it out and receive double time on Sunday.

I worked with a Deacon who volunteered to work on Sunday just so he wouldn't have to go to church. He said he had a good excuse, he was pulling his ox out of the ditch. Note: Just so I won't get corrected: Yes, I know which day is The Sabbath, I am telling what he said.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia

"No one likes being between the"Egyptian Army &the Red Sea" if U are in a tough place, Take Heart. No test=No testimony. Keep calm & Carry On"
An amazing tweet. If the players had freedom of movement, a willing test is ok. But at this point they are essentially indentured and cannot transfer without - possibly - sitting out a year. Really inappropriate comment and Mr. Scruggs should call him on the carpet and make him retract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

An amazing tweet. If the players had freedom of movement, a willing test is ok. But at this point they are essentially indentured and cannot transfer without - possibly - sitting out a year. Really inappropriate comment and Mr. Scruggs should call him on the carpet and make him retract.

There you go, Freeze admitting the football players do not have to go to class and pass tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I wonder if they're whistling through the graveyard like our "in the know" boosters and insiders were in the '90's.
My understanding - the powers in Indy had their eye on Alabama for decades, but Bryant kept them away. The day that Bryant passed, the clock began to tick. They were looking for something, anything, to bring down Alabama. It is possible that the people within the Alabama administration had no idea how much animosity they had for Alabama in Indy. I guess that this had to be true, given how much Alabama cooperated in the "investigation".

What they (and no one else, at the time) didn't realize was that the NCAA wasn't about to play fair. They really didn't care about evidence - they just wanted enough smoke to convince the masses that Alabama was dirty. It wouldn't just take down Alabama, but have the masses question everything that Alabama has accomplished in the past. It worked. Most other conferences now believe that the SEC is only better because they "cheat".

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

I think they should be a little more concerned than that. I think people would be shocked if the truth ever was completely exposed over what has truly been taking place since Freeze arrived in Oxford. A big Michigan friend of mine has been saying for 2 years that Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio St all contacted the NCAA concerning Treadwell signing with the Rebels. That may be a part of this investigation. The SMU boosters of the 80's would be rank amateurs compared to Dickie Scruggs and company.
From what I'm hearing from my OM guys, they aren't worried. Maybe lose a couple of scholarships, but nothing serious.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I think they should be a little more concerned than that. I think people would be shocked if the truth ever was completely exposed over what has truly been taking place since Freeze arrived in Oxford. A big Michigan friend of mine has been saying for 2 years that Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio St all contacted the NCAA concerning Treadwell signing with the Rebels. That may be a part of this investigation. The SMU boosters of the 80's would be rank amateurs compared to Dickie Scruggs and company.
I noticed the first thing he did after prison was to try to "raise" a $1.000.000 for some cause. Always be weary of any high profile person that goes into raising money for a charity after coming out of prison. Should be banned for a few years.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Could be, but with the 'kindler-gentler' NCAA we have now, unless they find some bodies, OM will walk no matter what.

If the NCAA didn't hammer UNC, Auburn, or Miami I cannot see them hammering OM unless they find some egregious stuff.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Agree with CA. Unless there are some bodies uncovered or they're found to be hiding terrorists then I think this will be no big deal. Too many other truly egregious things have happened at other institutions and not much was done. Something really earth shattering will have to be uncovered.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Agree with CA. Unless there's some bodies uncovered or they're found to be hiding terrorists then I think this will be no big deal. Too many other truly egregious things have happened at other institutions and not much was done. Something really earth shattering will have to be uncovered.
Yep, unfortunately, frankly, I think any attention paid to this moving forward is a waste of both time and bandwidth. I would be truly stunned.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

The NCAA goes after the big fish...us, USC, Miami (of the Erickson years), Michigan basketball, etc. They went after SMU in the 80's because the lead booster there was the Governor of Texas and had powerful enemies. I've come to believe that the only way to correct these injustices is to beat 'em on the field. You can become an old man in a hurry if you wait for the NCAA to clean it up. The truth is they're hurting LSU, Mississippi State, and probably Tennessee and Auburn more than they're hurting us by doing it (the last 2 losses notwithstanding). We're still signing full, #1-ranked classes in spite of their shenanigans.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

If it is bad enough for him to lose his job somewhere else, it is bad enough to merit some punishment for the institution.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

If it is bad enough for him to lose his job somewhere else, it is bad enough to merit some punishment for the institution.
Strong reaction by texas

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Sources: Chris Vaugh leaving Texas after being implicated in Ole Miss Scandal.

http://www.hookem.com/story/sources...s-after-being-implicated-in-ole-miss-scandal/
Vaughn played college ball for Nutt at Murray State and Hootie took him to Fayetteville when he finished school. Moved with him to Oxford and was Ole Miss's recruiting coordinator who closed out Hugh Freeze and Ed Orgeron's last class in Oxford in February 2008. The 2009 class was the one with over 35 signees and the one where Saunders worked his magic (while not on the staff) to get Tig Barksdale in school with Vaughn as the RC ---knowing everything that went on----just like Freeze did under Orgeron. That 2009 class also had Bobby Massie and several other highly ranked players.

What we have is academic fraud with a pattern that spans three coaching staffs and over 10 years and maybe more than that.
The main player has been given an eight year show cause. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain by helping the NCAA. Additionally, he had to threaten a lawsuit against Ole Miss to get paid his agreed to salary the last time he worked there, under Houston Nutt; there's no love lost from either side.

We also have ULL filing a suit against ACT. They are not interested in money---they are interested in getting their name back.The only way they can get their name back is to pin the start of this fraud on someone else. Who paid to have this done? That will come out at trial.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Texas letting him go does raise a question about how bad it is for Ole Miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.