NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

Rumor has it that the NCAA is ticked off at Freeze for his actions and attitude in all of this, not unlike they were ticked at Bruce Pearl. If what I'm hearing is true, this could get bad for OM and Freeze.
I kind of thought the way he and the AD were doing these "nothing to see here" interviews at Media Days that things might get worse for them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Yahoo: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATE: NOA Releas

The cover up is always worse than the crime. If OM had just been honest about what happened and not so arrogant they probably would have only lost a few scholarships and maybe bowl ban for this year. Now, with the position they've pigeonholed themselves into who knows what type of punishment they might get..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The cover up is always worse than the crime. If OM had just been honest about what happened and not so arrogant they probably would have only lost a few scholarships and maybe bowl ban for this year.
No.... no....

If Ole Miss was honest about what they actually did, their program would get the death penalty. I mean I get your point, but do you get how egregious what they've been doing is? Their coaches were in on it, this was a SMU level pay for play scheme. This might have exceeded what SMU did because Ole Miss took the show on the road!

What SMU did was primarily in Texas from what I understand. Now Texas is a big state and loaded with recruits, but Ole Miss went and rubbed buying players in the face of the Big 10 (long favored by the NCAA) and the Big 12 for instance. They didn't just have a scheme to buy players, they did it in the style of a drug dealer driving an Italian sports car. Hey! Look at what we're doing! It was ridiculous, and obvious and... (not just a player, sometimes that's obvious) well before they were even done with their first big recruiting class, myself and others didn't just know they were cheating, we could make predictions based on that assumption. Their best recruiting class ever, the best signing day of any team, guys coming from all over the country to play for the mighty Ole Miss (even if they had 0 interest before). Believe me, if Ole Miss told that whole story they wouldn't have a football team once they got finished talking.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

All I know the moment Oxford, Miss became a landing destination for #1 recruits in the nation & other 5* players all of a sudden, "Red Flags" landed with them in Oxford, there's only one HC in college football, that could make that happen(legally) & that's our very own HC at Alabama Coach Saban..

It's been pretty obvious there's been some major $$$$$ being thrown at those 5*'s to come to Ole Miss & I won't lose a wink of sleep should the give The Black Bears the DP or at least what they gave us that damn near shut us down with trumped up charges..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

No.... no....

If Ole Miss was honest about what they actually did, their program would get the death penalty. I mean I get your point, but do you get how egregious what they've been doing is? Their coaches were in on it, this was a SMU level pay for play scheme. This might have exceeded what SMU did because Ole Miss took the show on the road!

What SMU did was primarily in Texas from what I understand. Now Texas is a big state and loaded with recruits, but Ole Miss went and rubbed buying players in the face of the Big 10 (long favored by the NCAA) and the Big 12 for instance. They didn't just have a scheme to buy players, they did it in the style of a drug dealer driving an Italian sports car. Hey! Look at what we're doing! It was ridiculous, and obvious and... (not just a player, sometimes that's obvious) well before they were even done with their first big recruiting class, myself and others didn't just know they were cheating, we could make predictions based on that assumption. Their best recruiting class ever, the best signing day of any team, guys coming from all over the country to play for the mighty Ole Miss (even if they had 0 interest before). Believe me, if Ole Miss told that whole story they wouldn't have a football team once they got finished talking.
I get what you're saying. I'm just pointing out the smugness and arrogance of their AD and head coach haven't helped any. Trying to publicly make a fool and liar of the NCAA is about the worse thing they could've done. I'm glad they've acted as foolish as they have and I hope they get severely punished..

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

I really don't understand the deal with the NCAA ; it's not like they sold textbooks, give 'em a break

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I think the NCAA has screwed up. I think Ole Miss is getting ready to tear into them. I think Sankey better start defending his member institutions. I think nut jobs like Steve Robertson will get caught in the crossfire. I listened to his podcast and he spent one solid hour on Ole Miss. He is truly a sick individual and the people that believe his ramblings are pathetic losers.

From an Ole Miss board. Wow. Now that is sticking your head in the sand. Ole Miss has already sanctioned themselves and this nut thinks Ole Miss is going to down the NCAA. Wow.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think the NCAA has screwed up. I think Ole Miss is getting ready to tear into them. I think Sankey better start defending his member institutions. I think nut jobs like Steve Robertson will get caught in the crossfire. I listened to his podcast and he spent one solid hour on Ole Miss. He is truly a sick individual and the people that believe his ramblings are pathetic losers.

From an Ole Miss board. Wow. Now that is sticking your head in the sand. Ole Miss has already sanctioned themselves and this nut thinks Ole Miss is going to down the NCAA. Wow.
There are countless Buckeye fans who feel like we were treated unfairly by the NCAA when Tressel was caught lying. Fans are fanatic, and that generally doesn't lend itself to rational thought.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

There are countless Buckeye fans who feel like we were treated unfairly by the NCAA when Tressel was caught lying. Fans are fanatic, and that generally doesn't lend itself to rational thought.
I get the "we didn't do it" attitude cause they want to believe it but thinking Ole Miss is going to bring down the NCAA is a whole different ballgame.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Agreed. Plus OSU only got in trouble for lying. OM has done MUCH worse and gained a competitive advantage. If they don't get hammered, the NCAA is officially toothless.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Agreed. Plus OSU only got in trouble for lying. OM has done MUCH worse and gained a competitive advantage. If they don't get hammered, the NCAA is officially toothless.
I would take that one step further. Considering everything that`s been brought to light since this all began, they would cease to be a credible governing organization for collegiate athletics.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I would take that one step further. Considering everything that`s been brought to light since this all began, they would cease to be a credible governing organization for collegiate athletics.
That's probably accurate. I still can't make myself believe the NCAA might not exist for much longer.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Ole Miss was never going to be in line for a death penalty. The NCAA wont ever, if they still can, go back to an Auburn or SMU type punishment ever again. And for 2 reasons. 1) it actually hurts enrollment of that institution and 2) it hurts the innocent conference members. Lets just say Auburn got hit with the Cam thing, and was punished like they were in 93. 8 conference teams, and the SEC, would lose a substantial amount of revenue generated on ticket sales and tv sales because of it. Heck USC got an Alabama type punishment for doing the same thing as Ole Miss. So there is absolutely no way a death penalty punishment was ever going to happen.

No the only reason we are up in arms about this is because it is Ole Miss doing it. Had it been a top power... like for instance LSU, then we probably grit our teeth and move on. The problem we truly have is that it is a team that is usually the skid mark of the SECW doing it, and for the past 2 years has been a thorn in our side. Its only more obvious for that reason.

And as far as the NCAA doing anything more than a USC/ Bama type punishment... I don't even think they would do that. I think the NCAA has showed that since the Power 5 has become stronger that they are just there as a puppet. They want a piece of the cake that they once possessed, but now they are worried of losing it forever. So the NCAA is walking on egg shells as of lately when it comes to punishment in order to avoid the Power 5 saying "Adios"

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

The Power Five is certainly more powerful than it used to be, but don't discount Power Five members, even members of the SEC, wanting the NCAA to hammer Ole Miss. Cheating goes on everywhere, that's a fact. But Ole Miss has been so blatant about it and so aggressive in it that plenty of folks think they've gone too far. I wouldn't expect the SEC to waste much energy defending Ole Miss.
I think that's the nexus this thing turns upon. The NCAA isn't simply going after OM because they can, they're responding to pressure from CFB powers. OM has done much more than simply cross the NCAA; they have alienated the flagships. If they go unpunished or even lightly punished, the resulting level of chaos becomes unappealing to established powers.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Ole Miss was never going to be in line for a death penalty.
That's factually correct, but that's kind of combining hypothetical scenarios. My scenario was "if Ole Miss told the truth". We know that's not going to happen, just like we know Ole Miss isn't getting the death penalty. However, for the sake of argument let's say Ole Miss really did come out and say: "Over the past few season we paid 75 recruits to visit us, we also paid 40 players to come to Ole Miss and we put 25 of those players on payment plans and continued paying them while at Ole Miss. This was done with some degree of knowledge and participation from our coaches". Just for the sake of indulging the scenario, how could that possibly not put the death penalty on the table? But we both know Ole Miss was never going to admit all their wrong doing anymore than the NCAA was going to give them the death penalty.

No the only reason we are up in arms about this is because it is Ole Miss doing it. Had it been a top power... like for instance LSU, then we probably grit our teeth and move on. The problem we truly have is that it is a team that is usually the skid mark of the SECW doing it, and for the past 2 years has been a thorn in our side. Its only more obvious for that reason.
That might apply to you but I'm not sure it applies to me. I was one of the one calling Ole Miss cheaters before Tunsil's class had even signed. A few of us that followed recruiting were adamant about it, but there seemed to be at least an equal number of people around here that seemed to think nothing was going on. The point is, what ever you might have done, or thought, does not apply to me. I was calling them out for cheating when they landed Treadwell, Tunsil, etc... and this was well before they beat Alabama.

That is pertinent because there's no sour grapes, I'm just mad because they beat Alabama or landed Tony Conner type scenario. I was upset because of how blatant and egregious their cheating was. I explained it several times, but I will explain it again. The issue isn't so much did they break any rules, we all know a lot of programs break rules. That's not necessarily cheating. For example, if I take a test and the teacher says what ever you do, do not get out your cell phone! And I do get out my cell phone, but all I do with it is check Facebook, am I cheating? No, I'm not cheating, I'm not looking up answers, but I am breaking the rule. So, for example if a team pays a player who is already going to go to school there, there is actually no advantage gained! That's just one example but you get the point, breaking a rule isn't necessarily cheating. To give another example, what advantage did Alabama gain from the whole textbooks thing? But, Ole Miss cheated, blatantly. They didn't just break rules, they treated recruits like free agents and that isn't really the norm in college football, even at the top programs.

Now, would it be harder to spot cheating at LSU? Yes, it would, because they already are great at recruiting so if they land some huge recruits it won't raise any red flags. We can debate the impact/danger of that though, Ole Miss went from being no threat at all to a threat, but LSU could go from good to great if they had for instance landed Treadwell and Tunsil. I don't see how that would have been a lesser issue, but I will reiterate it would be harder to tell. If LSU's landed those same recruits for those same reasons it would have been far more difficult to spot the cheating, but it would be no less of a concern if it did in fact go on. It's just easier to tell when someone is cheating when the improvement is more dramatic.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

That's probably accurate. I still can't make myself believe the NCAA might not exist for much longer.
After the way they did Bama after the Means case and the way they treated Coach Stallings, I can't wait to take a trip to Indianapolis to tinkle in the ashes of that building.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

That's factually correct, but that's kind of combining hypothetical scenarios. My scenario was "if Ole Miss told the truth". We know that's not going to happen, just like we know Ole Miss isn't getting the death penalty. However, for the sake of argument let's say Ole Miss really did come out and say: "Over the past few season we paid 75 recruits to visit us, we also paid 40 players to come to Ole Miss and we put 25 of those players on payment plans and continued paying them while at Ole Miss. This was done with some degree of knowledge and participation from our coaches". Just for the sake of indulging the scenario, how could that possibly not put the death penalty on the table? But we both know Ole Miss was never going to admit all their wrong doing anymore than the NCAA was going to give them the death penalty.

That might apply to you but I'm not sure it applies to me. I was one of the one calling Ole Miss cheaters before Tunsil's class had even signed. A few of us that followed recruiting were adamant about it, but there seemed to be at least an equal number of people around here that seemed to think nothing was going on. The point is, what ever you might have done, or thought, does not apply to me. I was calling them out for cheating when they landed Treadwell, Tunsil, etc... and this was well before they beat Alabama.

That is pertinent because there's no sour grapes, I'm just mad because they beat Alabama or landed Tony Conner type scenario. I was upset because of how blatant and egregious their cheating was. I explained it several times, but I will explain it again. The issue isn't so much did they break any rules, we all know a lot of programs break rules. That's not necessarily cheating. For example, if I take a test and the teacher says what ever you do, do not get out your cell phone! And I do get out my cell phone, but all I do with it is check Facebook, am I cheating? No, I'm not cheating, I'm not looking up answers, but I am breaking the rule. So, for example if a team pays a player who is already going to go to school there, there is actually no advantage gained! That's just one example but you get the point, breaking a rule isn't necessarily cheating. To give another example, what advantage did Alabama gain from the whole textbooks thing? But, Ole Miss cheated, blatantly. They didn't just break rules, they treated recruits like free agents and that isn't really the norm in college football, even at the top programs.

Now, would it be harder to spot cheating at LSU? Yes, it would, because they already are great at recruiting so if they land some huge recruits it won't raise any red flags. We can debate the impact/danger of that though, Ole Miss went from being no threat at all to a threat, but LSU could go from good to great if they had for instance landed Treadwell and Tunsil. I don't see how that would have been a lesser issue, but I will reiterate it would be harder to tell. If LSU's landed those same recruits for those same reasons it would have been far more difficult to spot the cheating, but it would be no less of a concern if it did in fact go on. It's just easier to tell when someone is cheating when the improvement is more dramatic.
Did they cheat? Yes no one is saying they didn't.

Is it obvious? Yes no one is saying otherwise

Are teams with the same pedigree as... Idk let's pick a non SEC school like FSU or Oklahoma doing the same thing or atleast similar things? Your fooling yourself if you think they aren't.

The problem with the Ole Miss issue is that they can't hide it because they are a program that hasn't had a history of success. The Ole Miss situation seems worse because of how many top athletes they bribed away from top schools. Ole Miss, if they are punished, will face no worse of a penalty than Bama in the early 00's or USC in recent years. The death penalty does not exist anymore, and the NCAA power is barely in existence as well. So it's unlikely anything worse than ours and USC's punishment will happen to Ole Miss. And have my doubts that even they get punished that bad as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

After the way they did Bama after the Means case and the way they treated Coach Stallings, I can't wait to take a trip to Indianapolis to tinkle in the ashes of that building.
Full Banjeaux for you, sir.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Ole Miss, if they are punished, will face no worse of a penalty than Bama in the early 00's or USC in recent years.
But that works - it kills momentum (both Bama and USC were set back for a few years) and makes them think twice about doing it again.

And OM didn't get ANYTHING for it, which makes the decision to repeat more difficult...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.