NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

OM's lawyers will contact the NCAA and threaten a civil suit claiming damages for any sanctions against OM athletics. They will file in Oxford. The NCAA will back down and the investigation will end. It is the Auburn $Cam model and one that has drawn all the teeth from the NCAA's enforcement division. Given that the long term prognosis for the investigation is poor, probably the only real damage that the NCAA will do is by announcing this right before NSD to scare off some recruits.
I don't think so or many other schools would have went this route already. Especially in the TV/postseason revenue ban days.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

IIRC Auburn never got a letter from the NCAA about Cam, so this would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

The word from a relative of mine that is an Ole Miss grad is that this could be just be the tip of the iceberg. He has heard that there could be more allegations in football.

And don't think for a moment the NCAA didn't leak the info just before NSD on purpose. Ole Miss has been thumbing their noses at the NCAA. It gives them only 72 hours to damage control before the dead period.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

That ban is self imposed

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

First, IIRC Auburn never got a letter from the NCAA about Cam, so this would be different.

Is this a real exchange? If so sounds eerily reminiscent of Dye and Ramsey on tape

Last edited by a moderator:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Is this a real exchange? If so sounds eerily reminiscent of Dye and Ramsey on tape
No it's fake. I realize it now, so I deleted it.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

The word from a relative of mine that is an Ole Miss grad is that this could be just be the tip of the iceberg. He has heard that there could be more allegations in football.

And don't think for a moment the NCAA didn't leak the info just before NSD on purpose. Ole Miss has been thumbing their noses at the NCAA. It gives them only 72 hours to damage control before the dead period.

If there were not significant football violations , do you not think that Ole Sis would have released the alleged violations by now. If I am a top recruit about to committ, I would say to Hugh show me the letter from the NCAA. So I can read it for myself.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

So you guys with the law degrees, is there a bit of truth to this.
Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork released a statement regarding the violations.
"As has been the case for the past three years, we are bound by confidentiality and cannot comment publicly on the matter," said Bjork. "However, I can say that I'm confident in how our coaches and staff operate our program, and we take compliance, NCAA and SEC rules very seriously. We are working hard to seek a resolution to this matter."
What binds the to confidentiality, other than they want the media to have a look at the alleged infractions? They can publish the letter of infractions, but they cant comment on it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

IIRC Auburn never got a letter from the NCAA about Cam, so this would be different.

If NCAA is sending letters, some measure of punishment is coming from the named sports in the letter. The lawyers may be able to back it down a bit but some sanctions are coming their way. They may come out with only a few scholarships lost and a period of probation, but it will be something and they will have the dark cloud hanging over their program for a few recruiting cycles.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

And I will say that the specter of sanctions was almost as bad for our program in the the early 2000s as the actual sanctions. Athletes were transferring, lost out on several big name in-state recruits due to the concerns, probably created the circumstance of Fran-to-Price-to-Shula.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I know that you guys are enjoying this, and I understand why, but I hate the NCAA and what they do to my favorite sport.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I know that you guys are enjoying this, and I understand why, but I hate the NCAA and what they do to my favorite sport.
Well B1GTide, if this was Michigan you would feel different. I love the sport too but if someone is taking advantage of the system they need to be called out.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I remember back when Slive became the commissioner of the SEC he said one of his goals was for there not to be any SEC teams on probation. I've kind of lost tract...but was wondering if all the teams are currently not on probation? Did Slive's goal get done? My guess is that there might be some minor infractions with Ole Miss, but it doesn't seem like the current NCAA hammers schools now the way they did us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Well B1GTide, if this was Michigan you would feel different. I love the sport too but if someone is taking advantage of the system they need to be called out.
I would be laughing my butt off, just like you guys are, but it would not change my feelings for the NCAA one bit.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

So you guys with the law degrees, is there a bit of truth to this.
Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork released a statement regarding the violations.
"As has been the case for the past three years, we are bound by confidentiality and cannot comment publicly on the matter," said Bjork. "However, I can say that I'm confident in how our coaches and staff operate our program, and we take compliance, NCAA and SEC rules very seriously. We are working hard to seek a resolution to this matter."
What binds the to confidentiality, other than they want the media to have a look at the alleged infractions? They can publish the letter of infractions, but they cant comment on it.
If it involves impermissible benefits to certain students, then they can't comment on it. It always eventually comes out, as with Tunsel and Nkemdiche...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.