NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Could this lead to Ole Miss having to forfeit their 2015 season victories?

Does Bama not only gets the 2015 National Title but now an undefeated season to go with it?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The losses still count for the opponents, the infracting team just can't claim the wins.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

The word from a relative of mine that is an Ole Miss grad is that this could be just be the tip of the iceberg. He has heard that there could be more allegations in football.

And don't think for a moment the NCAA didn't leak the info just before NSD on purpose. Ole Miss has been thumbing their noses at the NCAA. It gives them only 72 hours to damage control before the dead period.
Or 72 hours for other schools to swoop in and pilfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I would be laughing my butt off, just like you guys are, but it would not change my feelings for the NCAA one bit.
What should the ncaa do, just shrug and say anything goes?

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA

And I will say that the specter of sanctions was almost as bad for our program in the the early 2000s as the actual sanctions. Athletes were transferring, lost out on several big name in-state recruits due to the concerns, probably created the circumstance of Fran-to-Price-to-Shula.
If there is any way that OM can go from Freeze to Fran, count me in for a ringside seat. The perfect punishment.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama

I was listening to Finebaum today (I know, but my work vehicle only has a radio and today's music is lame) anytime a caller would speak negatively about OM he would cut them off and speak to the contrary. He usually lets the opinions of callers roll, but not on this topic. It was if he was performing damage control. He's so obviously in love with Freeze and the "magic" of the OM campus. Three years ago this wouldn't have been the case with Finebaum. He's changed, I guess he figures who needs teeth when you don't eat meat.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

So I guess the NCAA will break Colonel Reb's sword and bust him down to Sargent Reb.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

And right on cue, The Blind Side movie is on TNT right now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I was listening to Finebaum today (I know, but my work vehicle only has a radio and today's music is lame) anytime a caller would speak negatively about OM he would cut them off and speak to the contrary. He usually lets the opinions of callers roll, but not on this topic. It was if he was performing damage control. He's so obviously in love with Freeze and the "magic" of the OM campus. Three years ago this wouldn't have been the case with Finebaum. He's changed, I guess he figures who needs teeth when you don't eat meat.
Finebaum now works for the SEC Network so he is going to protect the SEC for one and two he likes Freeze. I will be honest, Freeze comes across not that badly when being interviewed. While I believe they have been and are cheating he does have a thing about him that I could see some kids being attracted to him. With that being said so did David Koresh :tongue:.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I know that you guys are enjoying this, and I understand why, but I hate the NCAA and what they do to my favorite sport.
How is the NCAA doing anything to the sport by punishing schools for breaking the rules they agree to/create?

Finebaum now works for the SEC Network so he is going to protect the SEC for one and two he likes Freeze. I will be honest, Freeze comes across not that badly when being interviewed. While I believe they have been and are cheating he does have a thing about him that I could see some kids being attracted to him. With that being said so did David Koresh :tongue:.
Finebaum has been critical of schools and coaches since the show has been on SECN. He has been awfully favorable of Freeze, though. He had him on the show just because he got a contract extension and raise. Didn't see that with any other coach. Really seems like he has some love for Freeze and Ole Miss.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

How is the NCAA doing anything to the sport by punishing schools for breaking the rules they agree to/create?

Finebaum has been critical of schools and coaches since the show has been on SECN. He has been awfully favorable of Freeze, though. He had him on the show just because he got a contract extension and raise. Didn't see that with any other coach. Really seems like he has some love for Freeze and Ole Miss.

Might have something to do with Ole Miss inviting him to deliver the commencement address back in May. Egomaniac that he is.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood

Might have something to do with Ole Miss inviting him to deliver the commencement address back in May. Egomaniac that he is.
I believe there is usually some compensation for speaking at graduations(maybe not), and I wouldn't be surprised if Ole Sis paid Finebaum quite a bit more than the usual fee, so he would spin the story in favor of the black bears. Or maybe I should take off my tin cap.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

That is a great point, ole miss purchasing influence?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

To be fair, I think Saban made an effort to reach out to Finebaum and win his favor when Saban first got here. Especially when he wasn't quite national yet, he really was the overwhelming guidance on the narrative in this state. I think the Ole Miss power brokers wanted the same kind of effect with Finebaum...get him positive towards their program in the early stages of the new regime.

Second, I do think the SECN connection probably dulls his teeth in situations like this one. The SEC front office is probably at red alert right now trying to damage control for Ole Miss. He's not going to throw gas on the fire in these scenarios within the SEC anymore.

Third, I don't think Freeze had anything to do with the violations under his watch. The way modern cheating works goes beyond "plausible deniability." The money men just read the tea leaves and make the stuff happen without the AD or coaching staff ever knowing about it. He seems like a good person who honestly loves his program and the opportunity to coach for Ole Miss. I don't think he'd do something to hurt them.

But the NCAA has shown that it doesn't really matter much whether the school administration or coaching staff knew anything about the violations. They realize how the cheating works now and they'd never stop cheating if the burden was to prove the school proper knew about the violations.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Arkansas OL Dan Skipper, who reportedly visited Ole Miss a few years ago as a recruit, tweeted:
The really telling part about this is how the recruits are commenting. Ole Miss was putting those guys in jeopardy to. While some guys without a doubt go around with their hand out, there are others that see well past that. They don't need or want the NCAA sniffing around their college careers.

Well, excuse me for being a party pooper but I just don't think much will get done. This is just a minor nuisance for NCAA (to be swept under the rug) as they try to push the members to be more like those fine students at Missouri. Note I did not use blue font.
I agree. I don't think the NCAA will do anything, but it does pretty much blow up the silly notion that Ole Miss runs a clean program. They don't, and regardless of what comes of this, or what the allegations actually are, it is just a reminder that Ole Miss basically has nothing to lose. They break the rules, and I suppose they'd argue it is the only way they can compete.

Most recruits do not actually want to go play for "Ole Miss", in Mississippi, on a campus that adores the confederate flag and can't make up their mind if they want a Colonel Rebel to be their mascot or not.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

It's just a shame that Steve Spurrier is retired. I'd bet on him shooting a poison dart into the OM football program.

Mamma's of some of the recruits have got to be wondering how to get their sons out of this mess as gracefully as possible.
At this late date lots of universities already pretty much have their recruiting done for the year. Most want pull a scholarship to have one for a OM recruit. However it would be a really bad time for a student athlete to go on a tear,get kicked off their team, and suddenly a scholarship appears. Kind of like the pros cutting someone who has spent the year on Injured Reserve...
Oh to be a fly on the wall in Freeze's office come Monday...

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

To be fair, I think Saban made an effort to reach out to Finebaum and win his favor when Saban first got here. Especially when he wasn't quite national yet, he really was the overwhelming guidance on the narrative in this state. I think the Ole Miss power brokers wanted the same kind of effect with Finebaum...get him positive towards their program in the early stages of the new regime.

Second, I do think the SECN connection probably dulls his teeth in situations like this one. The SEC front office is probably at red alert right now trying to damage control for Ole Miss. He's not going to throw gas on the fire in these scenarios within the SEC anymore.

Third, I don't think Freeze had anything to do with the violations under his watch. The way modern cheating works goes beyond "plausible deniability." The money men just read the tea leaves and make the stuff happen without the AD or coaching staff ever knowing about it. He seems like a good person who honestly loves his program and the opportunity to coach for Ole Miss. I don't think he'd do something to hurt them.

But the NCAA has shown that it doesn't really matter much whether the school administration or coaching staff knew anything about the violations. They realize how the cheating works now and they'd never stop cheating if the burden was to prove the school proper knew about the violations.
That's the impression I got with Freeze a few years ago.. If you go watch interviews of him from NSD 2013, he seemed literally dumbfounded at what had occurred. He couldn't believe what kind of class they had signed. He was bug-eyed and scratching his head.
One answer he gave when asked about how they got it done, was basically "Gosh, I don't know. We just told them how great this university is," blah, blah, blah

He really thinks their down home country boy, yes ma'am, no ma'am, go to church on sunday message is what won recruits over.

Then again, he may be full of bull. IIRC, doesn't Freeze tell recruits and current players that OM has a "tradition" of several national championships and SEC championships that they have never won, and that they are going to bring that tradition back?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

We really need to see the allegations made public to know Freeze's involvement. My assumption lies with the feeling that complete deniability on the part of the university is how the money operations work these days. Zero coordination from the staff. Maybe someone got sloppy and tied up with the law then spilled the goods. Maybe a player let the deeds slip when pressured. Maybe another school's money man or coach gave them enough vital information to make a case. Maybe they've got them on some puffed up charges and they're just looking for their pound of flesh for an otherwise unsuccessful search for deeper violations over the last 4-5 years.

We just won't know until the allegations are public.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.