NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

That's the impression I got with Freeze a few years ago.. If you go watch interviews of him from NSD 2013, he seemed literally dumbfounded at what had occurred. He couldn't believe what kind of class they had signed. He was bug-eyed and scratching his head.
One answer he gave when asked about how they got it done, was basically "Gosh, I don't know. We just told them how great this university is," blah, blah, blah

He really thinks their down home country boy, yes ma'am, no ma'am, go to church on sunday message is what won recruits over.

Then again, he may be full of bull. IIRC, doesn't Freeze tell recruits and current players that OM has a "tradition" of several national championships and SEC championships that they have never won, and that they are going to bring that tradition back?
It takes two to tango. If these boosters are buying these great players ..... why did they just start when freeze arrived? Hmmmm. That tells me something. The so-called GREAT recruiter Coach O could not rake in these classes. Hmmmm. There is more than a winning smile going on there.

A quote from an Ole MIss board that deletes all talk about the investigation:

"You can't delete the friggin news. For Chrissakes you people are scared of your own shadows. What a bunch of wussies.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

To be fair, I think Saban made an effort to reach out to Finebaum and win his favor when Saban first got here. Especially when he wasn't quite national yet, he really was the overwhelming guidance on the narrative in this state. I think the Ole Miss power brokers wanted the same kind of effect with Finebaum...get him positive towards their program in the early stages of the new regime.

Second, I do think the SECN connection probably dulls his teeth in situations like this one. The SEC front office is probably at red alert right now trying to damage control for Ole Miss. He's not going to throw gas on the fire in these scenarios within the SEC anymore.

Third, I don't think Freeze had anything to do with the violations under his watch. The way modern cheating works goes beyond "plausible deniability." The money men just read the tea leaves and make the stuff happen without the AD or coaching staff ever knowing about it. He seems like a good person who honestly loves his program and the opportunity to coach for Ole Miss. I don't think he'd do something to hurt them.

But the NCAA has shown that it doesn't really matter much whether the school administration or coaching staff knew anything about the violations. They realize how the cheating works now and they'd never stop cheating if the burden was to prove the school proper knew about the violations.
Great points

Old Paul would have been ALL OVER this story, gotten Forde, Dr David Ridpath, and other pertinent guests on right away.

The new espn Pawwwl gave us Eddie George, Mushin Muhammad, Seth Greenburg, and crappy callers

Finebaum is officially now a eunuch

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

LOL at Freeze 'not knowing'...

If he doesn't know, he's one of the dumbest humans I've ever heard of.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I believe the Barn has set to standard very low. Just deny everything, admit nothing and lawyer up.
"I had no idea!"
That is setting the ethical bar pretty low if you ask me, but the NCAA seems to accept it.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I believe the Barn has set to standard very low. Just deny everything, admit nothing and lawyer up.
"I had no idea!"
That is setting the ethical bar pretty low if you ask me, but the NCAA seems to accept it.
Change is coming

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Our own troubles with Dubose proves that deniability isn't really a defense with the NCAA. Heck, even the textbook issue was just a poor information system that was open to social engineering by athletes. A clique discovered the "hack" and exploited it for financial or otherwise personal gain. The University didn't know it was a problem until a SUPE store employee begin to notice the irregularities in the Fall 2007 semester. The University then audited the system and provided a full report of the issues to the NCAA. Lost nearly a whole season's worth of wins on the field and had our probation extended over bad system architecture! The NCAA doesn't care if your problems were caused by low-bid state agency contracts for software.

It literally doesn't even matter if Freeze knows or not to the NCAA, so the Ole Miss fans might as well can that argument.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Well, Scam didn't know Daddy was shopping him around. And is he one of the dumbest people...oh...wait...never mind.

Roll, National Champions, Roll!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The reason the Newton case stumped the NCAA was not the deniability but the lack of even a faint scent on the the money source.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

I'm perplexed as to why Ole Miss fans and the media are quick to point out that "most" of these allegations were prior to Freeze's hiring, as if that should make a difference in punishment. Should a bank robber get less time in jail because he was able to hide the money from the police for a few years? If anything, punishment should be more severe for the school that disregards NCAA guidelines and hides it for multiple seasons.

If the fact that OM has a new coach now is given consideration in any NCAA sanction discussion, what message does that send to other programs? "Go ahead and break the rules but make sure you hire a new coach before we find out, or else!"

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'm perplexed as to why Ole Miss fans and the media are quick to point out that "most" of these allegations were prior to Freeze's hiring, as if that should make a difference in punishment. Should a bank robber get less time in jail because he was able to hide the money from the police for a few years? If anything, punishment should be more severe for the school that disregards NCAA guidelines and hides it for multiple seasons.

If the fact that OM has a new coach now is given consideration in any NCAA sanction discussion, what message does that send to other programs? "Go ahead and break the rules but make sure you hire a new coach before we find out, or else!"
That defense didn't work out to Franchione's liking.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

I'm perplexed as to why Ole Miss fans and the media are quick to point out that "most" of these allegations were prior to Freeze's hiring, as if that should make a difference in punishment. Should a bank robber get less time in jail because he was able to hide the money from the police for a few years?
In fact, the robber may be able to get off entirely if he avoids notice for long enough -- I'll point you to the concept of a statute of limitations. ;)

But kidding aside, I agree. Pointing out that a a lot of the stuff in the letter happened in the past just amounts to a "yeah, but we've been cheating for a really long" time defense, and that's definitely no defense at all.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

If it involves impermissible benefits to certain students, then they can't comment on it. It always eventually comes out, as with Tunsel and Nkemdiche...
Miss. State admitted they were the low bidder for their services, just like they were for Cam.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Agreed. Mike Dubose never had to deal with the mess he and his staff made here.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

How is the NCAA doing anything to the sport by punishing schools for breaking the rules they agree to/create?
I am not going to give a class on the things that the NCAA has done to ruin this sport. Do some research. Start with what they have done to Alabama, but look deeply into what they have done to athletes.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I am not going to give a class on the things that the NCAA has done to ruin this sport. Do some research. Start with what they have done to Alabama, but look deeply into what they have done to athletes.
Provide scholarships, free room and board, all the athletic gear and more that they ever need, the best food and medical attention on their campuses, incredible life opportunities in education and athletics,...

Is your last name O'Bannon because you sure sound butthurt, I guess because players aren't making high five or six figures a year just to suffer through a scholarship and playing football at major universities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.