NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

Ole Miss admits wrongdoing...

But appears they are doing everything possible to protect Freeze.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

We're at the point in which I don't know what to expect anymore. The NCAA kind of had a trifecta in which they let Miami, North Carolina (before revisiting), and Auburn get away with a lot. This really flew in the face of previous handling of cases like Alabama and USC. The Ohio State situation seemed to kind of straddle both worlds, as the NCAA tried to get them get off light and then Ohio State lied to them and got caught. The NCAA had to ramp up the punishment.

That seems to kind of be the case here, and there's a few things that seems to really make the NCAA irate. One is if they catch someone in a lie they like to come down hard. Bruce Pearl is as good an example as any, since the actual rules being broken seemed minor. In this case, Ole Miss seems to have tried to lie their way out and might have escaped if not for the investigation being reopened and Tunsil publicly saying he got paid. Now the NCAA knows they were lied to and it sure seems we'll see the mean NCAA and not the nice NCAA this time.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

They are referencing Leo Lewis (former Bama commit that committed to Ole Miss before flipping to State in 2016)...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

We're at the point in which I don't know what to expect anymore. The NCAA kind of had a trifecta in which they let Miami, North Carolina (before revisiting), and Auburn get away with a lot. This really flew in the face of previous handling of cases like Alabama and USC. The Ohio State situation seemed to kind of straddle both worlds, as the NCAA tried to get them get off light and then Ohio State lied to them and got caught. The NCAA had to ramp up the punishment.

That seems to kind of be the case here, and there's a few things that seems to really make the NCAA irate. One is if they catch someone in a lie they like to come down hard. Bruce Pearl is as good an example as any, since the actual rules being broken seemed minor. In this case, Ole Miss seems to have tried to lie their way out and might have escaped if not for the investigation being reopened and Tunsil publicly saying he got paid. Now the NCAA knows they were lied to and it sure seems we'll see the mean NCAA and not the nice NCAA this time.
I wonder how much of the NCAA going light on these three influenced Ole Miss' decision to ride dirty?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Auburn, like all real programs, employs skilled and discrete bagmen.

Ole Miss uses the Oxford Red Lobster manager and a body double for Walt on Breaking Bad.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Auburn, like all real programs, employs skilled and discrete bagmen.

Ole Miss uses the Oxford Red Lobster manager and a body double for Walt on Breaking Bad.
Pretty clear they also use Rebel Rags (Booster 8)...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I wonder how much of the NCAA going light on these three influenced Ole Miss' decision to ride dirty?
I always felt it was a big factor. I mean, those programs weren't trying to flaunt what they were doing, but in particular for Auburn everything sure worked out well didn't it? If you're Ole Miss and desperate for relevance, I thought it provided more than enough justification. The problem of course was they never really tried to hide it. Before that first big recruiting class was done a lot of us were just kind of shaking our heads. The thing that I feared was one-upsmanship within the SEC. Ole Miss beat Alabama twice, if they could have kept up what they were doing, what would have been the next logical step for other SEC programs? So, I really hope Ole Miss gets taught enough of a lesson that other programs learn from it to, before things get worse...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I was waiting for them to throw MSU under the bus and accuse them of wrongdoing. If they are going down they are going to take the folks in Starkville down with them. Going to get even uglier.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I was waiting for them to throw MSU under the bus and accuse them of wrongdoing. If they are going down they are going to take the folks in Starkville down with them. Going to get even uglier.
Hard to imagine how they win the war on all three fronts. MSU, former coaches, and the NCAA. All this while they circle the wagons around Freeze.

All they're really doing is providing incentive for everyone to come after Freeze.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Cutting to the chase----------I address your attention to page 121 of the response. Ole Miss offers 13 total scholarship reductions, 9 of which they claim to have already assessed; 1 in February 2015; 2 in February 2016; 6 in February 2017. They propose 4 for the 2018 class and they will be finished with scholarship reductions.

All the rest of the 125 pages is Auburn / Lightfoot gibberish that basically says "we didn't do that and you can't prove it".

Oh----and I was wrong. They did release it but not the unredacted version.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Not a bit. This has been going on since the 1950's. They got bradded in 1986 and again in 1994. In 1994 and 1995 they were hit with the loss of 24 total scholarships over two years. The first year they had a class of walk ons that half the schools in the conference offered and the boosters responsible are still the same. They have been using Wayne County for ACT scores since women's basketball became an SEC / NCAA sport and Title IX was passed in the mid 70's.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

We never gave them a cudgel to hammer us with. Hard to bring the hammer down when you can't find any evidence. The NCAA walked away from a year in Auburn with absolutely nothing. The only thing they had was his dad's admission of solicitation to MSU. Arguably they could have invented something to rule him ineligible, but they still didn't have a single piece of evidence implicating Cam or AU in any payment, or that any payment from anyone at all. They turned over a lot of stones during that year, but there was nothing under them. They went out of their way to commend our compliance efforts on their way out the door.

I have little doubt Cam was the beneficiary of some sort of impermissible benefits, but let me emphasize that there are few, if any, programs in this conference that can claim to be squeaky clean in that regard. Do I think we shelled out 200k for him? No, because no one in their right mind would pay that for some JUCO kid with a shady past trying to work his way back into the SEC, which is what he was at the time.

I've said before that everyone in this conference is going 70 in a 55. Where Ole Miss screwed up was blowing by at 100.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Or more simply put: Ole Miss got caught, Auburn didn't.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Or more simply put: Ole Miss got caught, Auburn didn't.
Ole Miss got caught because they cheat like amateurs

But I was serious with that 70 in a 55 comment. I think there's come chicanery with every blueblood program. Everyone does it to a degree, but we get away with it because there's safety in the pack. Ole Miss just did it in such a ridiculously blantant manner that the hammer has to come down.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

We never gave them a cudgel to hammer us with. Hard to bring the hammer down when you can't find any evidence. The NCAA walked away from a year in Auburn with absolutely nothing. The only thing they had was his dad's admission of solicitation to MSU. Arguably they could have invented something to rule him ineligible, but they still didn't have a single piece of evidence implicating Cam or AU in any payment, or that any payment from anyone at all. They turned over a lot of stones during that year, but there was nothing under them. They went out of their way to commend our compliance efforts on their way out the door.

I have little doubt Cam was the beneficiary of some sort of impermissible benefits, but let me emphasize that there are few, if any, programs in this conference that can claim to be squeaky clean in that regard. Do I think we shelled out 200k for him? No, because no one in their right mind would pay that for some JUCO kid with a shady past trying to work his way back into the SEC, which is what he was at the time.

I've said before that everyone in this conference is going 70 in a 55. Where Ole Miss screwed up was blowing by at 100.
Disagree with the first two paragraphs in that Cam was hardly a down-and-out guy upon his recruitment out of JUCO. He was a nationally-respected talent with highly questionable character.

And anybody who truly believes that Cam didn't know his dad took money must also believe that Traci Lords is still a virgin.

Agree with the last two sentences.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Disagree with the first two paragraphs in that Cam was hardly a down-and-out guy upon his recruitment out of JUCO. He was a nationally-respected talent with highly questionable character.
His offer list was pretty sparse. He did visit OU, but the only two programs that were seriously considered were MSU and AU, as OU had a quality returning starter. A lot of schools steered clear, for very valid reasons.

And anybody who truly believes that Cam didn't know his dad took money must also believe that Traci Lords is still a virgin.
The point I was making with those paragraphs essentially boils down to "it isn't what they know, it's what they can prove." Whether such evidence exists or not, the NCAA could not find it, and we looked squeaky clean throughout their investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.