NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned) - Page 8
Page 8 of 211 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108 ... LastLast

Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I know that you guys are enjoying this, and I understand why, but I hate the NCAA and what they do to my favorite sport.
    How is the NCAA doing anything to the sport by punishing schools for breaking the rules they agree to/create?

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Finebaum now works for the SEC Network so he is going to protect the SEC for one and two he likes Freeze. I will be honest, Freeze comes across not that badly when being interviewed. While I believe they have been and are cheating he does have a thing about him that I could see some kids being attracted to him. With that being said so did David Koresh .
    Finebaum has been critical of schools and coaches since the show has been on SECN. He has been awfully favorable of Freeze, though. He had him on the show just because he got a contract extension and raise. Didn't see that with any other coach. Really seems like he has some love for Freeze and Ole Miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    How is the NCAA doing anything to the sport by punishing schools for breaking the rules they agree to/create?

Finebaum has been critical of schools and coaches since the show has been on SECN. He has been awfully favorable of Freeze, though. He had him on the show just because he got a contract extension and raise. Didn't see that with any other coach. Really seems like he has some love for Freeze and Ole Miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Might have something to do with Ole Miss inviting him to deliver the commencement address back in May. Egomaniac that he is.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but never preserved except in memory LLAP" Leonard Nimoy

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Might have something to do with Ole Miss inviting him to deliver the commencement address back in May. Egomaniac that he is.
    I believe there is usually some compensation for speaking at graduations(maybe not), and I wouldn't be surprised if Ole Sis paid Finebaum quite a bit more than the usual fee, so he would spin the story in favor of the black bears. Or maybe I should take off my tin cap.

BamaNation All-American PitMaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    That is a great point, ole miss purchasing influence?

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

"NCAA is at your door"

Eli Manning Nationwide jingle.
    Last edited by colbysullivan; January 29th, 2016 at 08:53 PM.

Football and Basketball Moderator

To be fair, I think Saban made an effort to reach out to Finebaum and win his favor when Saban first got here. Especially when he wasn't quite national yet, he really was the overwhelming guidance on the narrative in this state. I think the Ole Miss power brokers wanted the same kind of effect with Finebaum...get him positive towards their program in the early stages of the new regime.

Second, I do think the SECN connection probably dulls his teeth in situations like this one. The SEC front office is probably at red alert right now trying to damage control for Ole Miss. He's not going to throw gas on the fire in these scenarios within the SEC anymore.

Third, I don't think Freeze had anything to do with the violations under his watch. The way modern cheating works goes beyond "plausible deniability." The money men just read the tea leaves and make the stuff happen without the AD or coaching staff ever knowing about it. He seems like a good person who honestly loves his program and the opportunity to coach for Ole Miss. I don't think he'd do something to hurt them.

But the NCAA has shown that it doesn't really matter much whether the school administration or coaching staff knew anything about the violations. They realize how the cheating works now and they'd never stop cheating if the burden was to prove the school proper knew about the violations.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Arkansas OL Dan Skipper, who reportedly visited Ole Miss a few years ago as a recruit, tweeted:
    The really telling part about this is how the recruits are commenting. Ole Miss was putting those guys in jeopardy to. While some guys without a doubt go around with their hand out, there are others that see well past that. They don't need or want the NCAA sniffing around their college careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Well, excuse me for being a party pooper but I just don't think much will get done. This is just a minor nuisance for NCAA (to be swept under the rug) as they try to push the members to be more like those fine students at Missouri. Note I did not use blue font.
    I agree. I don't think the NCAA will do anything, but it does pretty much blow up the silly notion that Ole Miss runs a clean program. They don't, and regardless of what comes of this, or what the allegations actually are, it is just a reminder that Ole Miss basically has nothing to lose. They break the rules, and I suppose they'd argue it is the only way they can compete.

Most recruits do not actually want to go play for "Ole Miss", in Mississippi, on a campus that adores the confederate flag and can't make up their mind if they want a Colonel Rebel to be their mascot or not.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-American

It's just a shame that Steve Spurrier is retired. I'd bet on him shooting a poison dart into the OM football program.

Mamma's of some of the recruits have got to be wondering how to get their sons out of this mess as gracefully as possible.
    At this late date lots of universities already pretty much have their recruiting done for the year. Most want pull a scholarship to have one for a OM recruit. However it would be a really bad time for a student athlete to go on a tear,get kicked off their team, and suddenly a scholarship appears. Kind of like the pros cutting someone who has spent the year on Injured Reserve...
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in Freeze's office come Monday...

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    To be fair, I think Saban made an effort to reach out to Finebaum and win his favor when Saban first got here. Especially when he wasn't quite national yet, he really was the overwhelming guidance on the narrative in this state. I think the Ole Miss power brokers wanted the same kind of effect with Finebaum...get him positive towards their program in the early stages of the new regime.

Second, I do think the SECN connection probably dulls his teeth in situations like this one. The SEC front office is probably at red alert right now trying to damage control for Ole Miss. He's not going to throw gas on the fire in these scenarios within the SEC anymore.

Third, I don't think Freeze had anything to do with the violations under his watch. The way modern cheating works goes beyond "plausible deniability." The money men just read the tea leaves and make the stuff happen without the AD or coaching staff ever knowing about it. He seems like a good person who honestly loves his program and the opportunity to coach for Ole Miss. I don't think he'd do something to hurt them.

But the NCAA has shown that it doesn't really matter much whether the school administration or coaching staff knew anything about the violations. They realize how the cheating works now and they'd never stop cheating if the burden was to prove the school proper knew about the violations.
    That's the impression I got with Freeze a few years ago.. If you go watch interviews of him from NSD 2013, he seemed literally dumbfounded at what had occurred. He couldn't believe what kind of class they had signed. He was bug-eyed and scratching his head.
    One answer he gave when asked about how they got it done, was basically "Gosh, I don't know. We just told them how great this university is," blah, blah, blah

He really thinks their down home country boy, yes ma'am, no ma'am, go to church on sunday message is what won recruits over.

Then again, he may be full of bull. IIRC, doesn't Freeze tell recruits and current players that OM has a "tradition" of several national championships and SEC championships that they have never won, and that they are going to bring that tradition back?

Football and Basketball Moderator

We really need to see the allegations made public to know Freeze's involvement. My assumption lies with the feeling that complete deniability on the part of the university is how the money operations work these days. Zero coordination from the staff. Maybe someone got sloppy and tied up with the law then spilled the goods. Maybe a player let the deeds slip when pressured. Maybe another school's money man or coach gave them enough vital information to make a case. Maybe they've got them on some puffed up charges and they're just looking for their pound of flesh for an otherwise unsuccessful search for deeper violations over the last 4-5 years.

We just won't know until the allegations are public.
    Last edited by rgw; January 29th, 2016 at 11:54 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    That's the impression I got with Freeze a few years ago.. If you go watch interviews of him from NSD 2013, he seemed literally dumbfounded at what had occurred. He couldn't believe what kind of class they had signed. He was bug-eyed and scratching his head.
    One answer he gave when asked about how they got it done, was basically "Gosh, I don't know. We just told them how great this university is," blah, blah, blah

He really thinks their down home country boy, yes ma'am, no ma'am, go to church on sunday message is what won recruits over.

Then again, he may be full of bull. IIRC, doesn't Freeze tell recruits and current players that OM has a "tradition" of several national championships and SEC championships that they have never won, and that they are going to bring that tradition back?
    It takes two to tango. If these boosters are buying these great players ..... why did they just start when freeze arrived? Hmmmm. That tells me something. The so-called GREAT recruiter Coach O could not rake in these classes. Hmmmm. There is more than a winning smile going on there.

A quote from an Ole MIss board that deletes all talk about the investigation:

"You can't delete the friggin news. For Chrissakes you people are scared of your own shadows. What a bunch of wussies.
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; January 30th, 2016 at 05:33 AM.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

https://www.seccountry.com/mississip...-make-stuff-up

reading the tweets at the bottom had me laughing. I was not aware that the college football universe was jealous of Ole Miss.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation All-American PitMaster's Avatar

ThumbsDown Re: Yahoo Sources: NCAA to formally charge Mississippi with rules violations

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post

Great points

Old Paul would have been ALL OVER this story, gotten Forde, Dr David Ridpath, and other pertinent guests on right away.

The new espn Pawwwl gave us Eddie George, Mushin Muhammad, Seth Greenburg, and crappy callers

Finebaum is officially now a eunuch