NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You are absolutely spot on here. To be honest, I was not nearly as excited as a lot of people were when he was hired at Alabama.

<snip>

I saw him as a better-than-average coach from his days at LSU, but certainly not the caliber we've witnessed since his arrival at Alabama.
I was absolutely amped, because while I had no idea Alabama would see the success we have, I recall being envious of the way his LSU teams played most of the time. I admired and hated him while he was at LSU as I recognized he was something we didn't have.

That said, if Ole Miss receives anything close to the sanctions they should reasonably deserve, I doubt if even Nick Saban could have a lot of success there. With their history of mediocre recruitment, add in the sanctions and Oxford should resemble Chernobyl for several years.
Yah, assuming they get what I believe they will, it will send them back to the dark ages for some time.. No matter what their fans want to believe, they're not a blue blood program that can absorb devastating sanctions like USC or Alabama can...

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

Not sure if you're being serious but I see a pretty big difference with Tebow compared to Freeze. It always seemed Freeze used religion to sell something - to sell to recruits, parents, the community etc. I think Tebow just generally shares his faith without trying to get something in return. There are exceptions but what Clay Travis and CA pointed out happen. A lot..
I'm sure there have been threads on that. Tebow was the greatest QB at the University of Florida and he ignored 1000-5000 girls who wanted to sleep with him. Have you ever known an NCAA football player at any school and discussed what goes on? Maybe he was truthful but it would border on being one of the guards in The History of the World Part I.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Ole Miss is done with retreads. And no current coach or D-1 up and coming coordinator will touch it until someone else tries it and cleans it up a little. Ole Miss will not hire anyone who is not pristine with the NCAA so Lane is out and I don't believe he has interest anyway. He's not interested in playing with recruiting sanctions at a place that historically has had the deck stacked against them. There is one hot name of a D-1 offensive coordinator who is from Mississippi with family ties to the school (his father played there and has been a Mississippi high school coach for 25 years who has sent kids to Ole Miss time and time again) who has been a head coach at two different Gulf South Conference schools and won conference championships at both, has a winning percentage of >70%, has contacts in Mississippi and is looking for a big break. His current head coach was his head coach in college where they went to the Div II Semi-finals a dozen or so years ago. He is low key, humble, and low maintenance----and just inexperienced enough for the #Network to be interested.

I can see them paying (what fr him would be) life changing money to guide them through three or four years of probation. And only two paragraphs.
Just to add to his accolades- he won the Harlon Hill trophy while @ UNA. He was liked by AL HS coaches while @ West AL. Not only is he well known in MS but also NW AL for his time @ UNA. Could be helpful in recruiting. In HS, Amory was a powerhouse when he played there. Could be a good hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If I'm an Ole Miss alum, I don't want any of the current administration making further personnel decisions.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
If I'm an Ole Miss alum, I don't want any of the current administration making further personnel decisions.
That has been the issue the whole time; no one in the administration is making ANY of the decisions. They are all being made by outside influences and pushed to the people they are responsible for putting in place. There is no one in a position to make decisions who is. Yes, they need to clean house but the $$$says not to, so they don't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Funny, I don't recall that being the general vibe, but my memory isn't on par with yours.

I recall it generally being considered a really good hire with lots of potential.
Again, I'm referring to his hiring at LSU.

He didn't stand out - he wasn't given the hype of (for example) Urban Meyer, when he bolted Utah to Florida or Chris Petersen when he went to Washington.

Again folks - who aren't following closely - I'm referring to his hiring AT LSU, not his hiring here. And there is a thread out there that would embarrass a lot of folks when Saban came here, lots of "I don't want him here" comments.

Saban is literally the only guy we've hired post-Bryant that I wanted at the time he came here, and I never dreamed it could reach THIS level.

But at LSU? Again, I'm not saying he was even viewed as a BAD hire, I'm saying nothing stood out about him and said, "This is the guy who is going to win a national championship at LSU." Nothing.

I met the late, great bayoutider on Sunday, August 19, 2001, outside a Taco Bell in Lake Chuck. Both of us - and he was man enough to admit it on here later - both of us keeled over in laughter because he said living there they all thought Saban was the greatest thing since sliced bread (and, of course, we laughed about UAB).

And ftr - I don't think the probation argument at Mich St carries a lot of weight because he took the job here knowing we were still in a critical window.

No, Saban was NOT viewed as a bad hire by LSU, but nothing suggested he'd be that good that quick, either. That's all I'm saying.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Again, I'm referring to his hiring at LSU.

He didn't stand out - he wasn't given the hype of (for example) Urban Meyer, when he bolted Utah to Florida or Chris Petersen when he went to Washington.

Again folks - who aren't following closely - I'm referring to his hiring AT LSU, not his hiring here.
I get it, that's what I'm referring to - his hiring at LSU. I recall it being generally though of as a good hire. He wasn't hyped like Urban or Petersen as he hadn't shown the success they had (albeit they regularly coached against weaker competition).

But again, as I recall it most people thought when Saban was hired at LSU it was a good hire with lots of potential.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I really don't recall much about Nick Saban until he made LSU into a national contender. What little I remember about him was thinking he was more of an NFL coach than college. I thought give him a few years at LSU and he would leave for an NFL career. I also remember thinking that after leaving LSU and going to Miami he would never return to the college game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And ftr - I don't think the probation argument at Mich St carries a lot of weight because he took the job here knowing we were still in a critical window.
Really?

Which school recruits itself?

What was Saban's name recognition in 1995? What was it in 2007?

Not at all trying to discredit the quick turnaround here, but he was an established head coach in 2007. He wasn't that in 1995.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I really don't recall much about Nick Saban until he made LSU into a national contender. What little I remember about him was thinking he was more of an NFL coach than college. I thought give him a few years at LSU and he would leave for an NFL career. I also remember thinking that after leaving LSU and going to Miami he would never return to the college game.
I recall being very happy when he left LSU.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bringing this thread back to Ole Miss and off someone's preference on post length...

Anyone notice something about Matt Luke? He was an OL from 1995-1998, so he would have been recruited somewhat by Brewer's staff. His brother Tom was a quarterback for Brewer from 1989-1991. I'm sure they experienced some of Brewer's recruiting ways.

Tom is now the assistant athletics director for player development for Ole Miss.

Judging by their connections to Brewer, I cannot see him getting the job if Ole Miss does what they should and clean house to get rid of the problems.
Looking at Matt Luke's coaching history, he's only coached OL, TEs, and OC. He was David Cuttcliffe's OC/running game coach for four years at Duke (so, we know he wasn't actually calling plays).

I'm curious as to see how the offense changes with Hugh gone and a guy that has a history with positions that historically have been more conservative.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Bringing this thread back to Ole Miss and off someone's preference on post length...

Anyone notice something about Matt Luke? He was an OL from 1995-1998, so he would have been recruited somewhat by Brewer's staff. His brother Tom was a quarterback for Brewer from 1989-1991. I'm sure they experienced some of Brewer's recruiting ways.

Tom is now the assistant athletics director for player development for Ole Miss.

Looking at Matt Luke's coaching history, he's only coached OL, TEs, and OC. He was David Cuttcliffe's OC/running game coach for four years at Duke (so, we know he wasn't actually calling plays).

I'm curious as to see how the offense changes with Hugh gone and a guy that has a history with positions that historically have been more conservative.
He is also married to the rebel rags daughter

Luke is part of their old boy network, and tomfoolery will begin anew when they feel the heat is off

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
He is also married to the rebel rags daughter
Pit, you need to check this. Same name, different girl. Luke is married to the former Ashley Grantham making her Ashley Grantham Luke. Terry Warren's daughter is married and is Ashley Warren Grantham. Haven't developed the connection yet----I think there is one----but not what I originally thought.

Now to address history. The Luke family is neck deep. In addition to brother Tommy, their father, Tom, played for Vaught in the 60's and I think (I'll have to verify) the grandfather played in the 40's. They are as tied into the Network as you can be without getting any on you.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Pit, you need to check this. Same name, different girl. Luke is married to the former Ashley Grantham making her Ashley Grantham Luke. Terry Warren's daughter is married and is Ashley Warren Grantham. Haven't developed the connection yet----I think there is one----but not what I originally thought.

Now to address history. The Luke family is neck deep. In addition to brother Tommy, their father, Tom, played for Vaught in the 60's and I think (I'll have to verify) the grandfather played in the 40's. They are as tied into the Network as you can be without getting any on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.