NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

I read an article where Bob Bounds (radio host in Mississippi) said he thought Freeze would be fired with cause, when the NCAA actually hammers the school. Firing him with cause will save the school multi-millions.
The athletic director will likely be gone too. He pretty much accepted responsibility in the transcript given there were sanctions across 3 sports. No way he is out and Freeze stays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

I read an article where Bob Bounds (radio host in Mississippi) said he thought Freeze would be fired with cause, when the NCAA actually hammers the school. Firing him with cause will save the school multi-millions.
Allegation #8 gives them cause. If that one sticks - Freeze is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

The question in my mind is not if, only when they part ways with both Bjork and Freeze. Do you try to "wade through" another season with both? Do you fire Bjork, hire a new AD, let him axe Freeze and start a search? And when do you do it? The timing of this really couldn't be worse for Ole Mi$$.

They are almost stuck with doing some lawyerly maneuvering for the short term to get through next football season. In the meantime, the black cloud hovers over program, recruiting continues to suffer, and we have to listen to the Right Reverend spout his gospel for another season.

I would be almost tempted to clean house now, name both an interim AD and HC, and try to at least give the impression of getting it in the rear view mirror and moving forward.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The question in my mind is not if, only when they part ways with both Bjork and Freeze. Do you try to "wade through" another season with both? Do you fire Bjork, hire a new AD, let him axe Freeze and start a search? And when do you do it? The timing of this really couldn't be worse for Ole Mi$$.

They are almost stuck with doing some lawyerly maneuvering for the short term to get through next football season. In the meantime, the black cloud hovers over program, recruiting continues to suffer, and we have to listen to the Right Reverend spout his gospel for another season.

I would be almost tempted to clean house now, name both an interim AD and HC, and try to at least give the impression of getting it in the rear view mirror and moving forward.
If they like Les Miles, they could probably land him right now and he would stay through their probation.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Just a few points-------
The last time Ole Miss went through this the players, fans, and alumni were really put off by the administration and their lack of effort to "protect" Billy Brewer. The Chancellor did not appeal and they pretty much fired Brewer and gave him nothing. That remains a thought process to the power people at Ole Miss to this day. So they have to at least act like they are trying.

On the other hand, if they were to fire Freeze before anything "sticks", they would owe him north of 8 figures-----more than $10 million and probably closer to $15 mil. Normal for the past three years has been for Freeze to sign an extension with a raise in December or January. I haven't heard of one this year so I'll assume the Mississippi state law of a four year max contract signed in early 2016 is now just short of three years for his current contract---at almost $5 mil/yr.

The NCAA has this timed to make it hurt. If the NOA arrived in mid-February, Ole Miss will have until mid-May to respond. At that point the NCAA will take 60 days (mid-July) to reply to Ole Miss's response and set a date with the COI. At that point in time it will be too late to get on the August agenda. If they were to hit the August agenda, that is an awful time to lose your coach. The next COI scheduled meeting will be October. By then the season is half over. I would imagine Hugh and Jimmy Sexton will be very busy trying to negotiate a deal between now and then that nets him something.

The problem with that is they have all made such a big deal about keeping Freeze that it almost has to be his announcement to make and Ole Miss won't allow someone else to control the moment.

An appeal could stretch past signing day, 2018 with known sanctions available to the public instead of this PR game they have been playing. If Ole Miss waits on the NCAA, they'll get relief from Hugh's contract as he'll be fired with cause but it will cost them a slow bleed and may stretch until mid-year 2018. I would suspect a deal can be struck before the season and they'll go into September with an interim-------Tommy Tuberville, anyone?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

If they like Les Miles, they could probably land him right now and he would stay through their probation.

I would be almost tempted to clean house now
Yes. Not even "almost". Yes. Now. Without hesitation.

If they like Les Miles, they could probably land him right now and he would stay through their probation
No way. CLM's likeability in Oxford (assuming there was any to begin with) would drop like a stone and end like a thud in a dry well. No way he takes that roster and has any success with his offensive style.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX

Not sure I understand what some of you mean about NCAA needing proof. I really don't know what all the evidence says, but NCAA doesn't really need to have solid proof like a court of law. They only have to believe something is true... and sometimes they believe something without corroborating evidence. Whatever the NCAA decides will be how they feel, not about truth. Sometimes they coincide, but I still don't trust them to do what's right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Just a few points-------
The last time Ole Miss went through this the players, fans, and alumni were really put off by the administration and their lack of effort to "protect" Billy Brewer. The Chancellor did not appeal and they pretty much fired Brewer and gave him nothing. That remains a thought process to the power people at Ole Miss to this day. So they have to at least act like they are trying.

On the other hand, if they were to fire Freeze before anything "sticks", they would owe him north of 8 figures-----more than $10 million and probably closer to $15 mil. Normal for the past three years has been for Freeze to sign an extension with a raise in December or January. I haven't heard of one this year so I'll assume the Mississippi state law of a four year max contract signed in early 2016 is now just short of three years for his current contract---at almost $5 mil/yr.

The NCAA has this timed to make it hurt. If the NOA arrived in mid-February, Ole Miss will have until mid-May to respond. At that point the NCAA will take 60 days (mid-July) to reply to Ole Miss's response and set a date with the COI. At that point in time it will be too late to get on the August agenda. If they were to hit the August agenda, that is an awful time to lose your coach. The next COI scheduled meeting will be October. By then the season is half over. I would imagine Hugh and Jimmy Sexton will be very busy trying to negotiate a deal between now and then that nets him something.

The problem with that is they have all made such a big deal about keeping Freeze that it almost has to be his announcement to make and Ole Miss won't allow someone else to control the moment.

An appeal could stretch past signing day, 2018 with known sanctions available to the public instead of this PR game they have been playing. If Ole Miss waits on the NCAA, they'll get relief from Hugh's contract as he'll be fired with cause but it will cost them a slow bleed and may stretch until mid-year 2018. I would suspect a deal can be struck before the season and they'll go into September with an interim-------Tommy Tuberville, anyone?
Well he did leave his pine box there so it makes sense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Bob Jones' AJ Harris sticking with Ole Miss despite bowl ban

AJ Harris committed to Ole Miss on July 24 and never wavered. The Bob Jones defensive back didn't officially visit any other schools after that and was part of 22 Rebel signees on Feb. 1.

He was disappointed with Wednesday's news of a school self-imposed bowl ban, but not surprised.

Ole Miss announced it had received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA. The Rebels had already self-imposed scholarship reductions.

"All through recruiting, they kept me updated," Harris said of the Ole Miss coaching staff. "They said that we could possibly get a bowl ban. I said, 'This is my school. I want to come here. I know the risk of coming here that we could be banned from a bowl.'"

"It doesn't change my opinion, but I'm just a little worried," Harris said. "(Assistant) coach (Jason) Jones told me that's what we did to ourselves, that we banned ourselves from a bowl. We don't know what the NCAA is going to say or how they are going to react. Just because we banned ourselves, they could be like, 'We want to ban you from four years of bowl games.'"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This reminds me of what we would hear from Athens and how Mark Richt was such a great disciplinarian. He talked to his players about being good citizens and not getting arrested, etc., yet he continued to kick guys off the team because they didn't take his talk serious.

The biggest is the lack of institutional control and failure to monitor charge levied by the NCAA, which is not afraid to lay the blame for that at Freeze’s feet. According to the NCAA, Freeze “violated head coach responsibility legislation,” which is a fancy way of saying that, even if Freeze wasn’t directly involved in any of the violations, it’s his football program, and he’s ultimately responsible.

Ole Miss says it plans to fight this charge, and Freeze says he looks forward to defending himself.

“As the record will show, I am constantly communicating to our compliance office, the SEC office and industry leaders to make sure we are using best practices when it comes to doing things the right way,” Freeze said as part of a 21-minute Ole Miss video announcing the notice of allegations. “Contrary to the allegations, I have demonstrated throughout this entire process that I have a strong record of promoting compliance and monitoring my staff, and I look forward to presenting that evidence to the Committee on Infractions.”

Well, apparently all the compliance promotion wasn’t enough to stop all these alleged violations from taking place, which is precisely why Freeze is in an impossible position.
Almost wonder if Ole Miss would be better off suspending Freeze for the 2017 season to show some contrite to the NCAA.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

So, from just a quick look at the Twitter this morning, this is apparently now going to bring down half the SEC.

2000 Alabama says I'm sorry Ole Miss, it doesn't quite work that way.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Almost wonder if Ole Miss would be better off suspending Freeze for the 2017 season to show some contrite to the NCAA.
If the LOIC and charges against Freeze stick, I'm betting one year won't be enough.

And at this point, I'm not sure the NCAA won't add something no matter what OM does. You know that while Tunsil wasn't part of this, it's in their minds...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

In August, Pat Forde of Yahoo! reported the NCAA offered immunity to several
players at rival SEC West schools for testimony against the Rebels.

So who were the players that were given immunity? Which schools are they at? :conf2:

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN

So, from just a quick look at the Twitter this morning, this is apparently now going to bring down half the SEC.

The running joke in our family has been, "Yeah, they (another SEC school) got in trouble with the NCAA. How many scholarships will Alabama lose because of it?"

Geez, I'm glad those days are behind us.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

If the LOIC and charges against Freeze stick, I'm betting one year won't be enough.

And at this point, I'm not sure the NCAA won't add something no matter what OM does. You know that while Tunsil wasn't part of this, it's in their minds...
Every time I hear LOIC I think "Low Orbit Ion Cannon." Threw together a quick and dirty gif for it.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

That's didn't help anyone when Cam's family did this. They had audio recording of the same thing. Nothing came of it. Have to prove it actually happened.

Freeze is trying to make everyone look dirty since he has been caught rolling in the mud.
Pat Dye has the perfect system in place... :cool2:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

So Ole Miss is going to tell on all the other teams in the SEC for violations.

What is very interesting if the NCAA bans Ole Miss for 2 years of Bowl Games. The current players are free to transfer immediately to another school of choice. I dont know how many great players they have but the good ones will probably leave and Ole Miss will be at the level of Vandy once again.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

So Ole Miss is going to tell on all the other teams in the SEC for violations.

What is very interesting if the NCAA bans Ole Miss for 2 years of Bowl Games. The current players are free to transfer immediately to another school of choice. I dont know how many great players they have but the good ones will probably leave and Ole Miss will be at the level of Vandy once again.
I just know that several schools had their hands in the Albert Means cookie jar, and none of them suffered for it except Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.