NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

I'm not talking about whatever the NCAA has to say about it, I'm talking about what a potential employer has to say about it. You're a college football coach and you have two candidates for an assistant's position, both of whom worked at a school that suffered NCAA sanctions and are equally qualified. Candidate A publicly accepted responsibility (whether he was railroaded or not, mind you) and took his punishment. Candidate B turned on his head coach and testified against him to the NCAA. Who do you think is going to get the job offer?
A.

There are some assistant coaches still fighting for jobs because they turned in a head coach or taped him etc. and will never be hired for a big time job.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

Because the situations are very similar, right?
Nope.

However....Petrino......after being fired from Arkansas for basically using a legalized form of prostitution...has been hired not ONCE but TWICE by schools in the state of Kentucky, including one where the basketball coach had some similar hot blood.

I was more amused by who we think cannot get hired, but I'm sure that Freeze will be radioactive for the foreseeable future, too. He might.....MIGHT.....get consideration from NWMCC in his home area of Senatobia, but I think he's more done than Art Briles.....and that's saying something.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

In Petrino's case, it wasn't just infidelity. It was a clear quid pro quo sexual relationship with an organizational subordinate.

From an employer's perspective, that part was way more problematic than an extra-marital affair with a non-employee would have been.
Agreed, but still relatively minor compared to the NCAA hammer - a lawsuit might have cost Arky a few million, OM is losing >$7 million in 2017 alone from their self-imposed bowl ban. Assuming the NCAA adds another year, double that figure, then add the lost revenue from a few down years along with likely replacing their coaching staff - I'd stick with messing with the NCAA being a far more serious issue for a potential employer...

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016

Agreed, but still relatively minor compared to the NCAA hammer - a lawsuit might have cost Arky a few million, OM is losing >$7 million in 2017 alone from their self-imposed bowl ban. Assuming the NCAA adds another year, double that figure, then add the lost revenue from a few down years along with likely replacing their coaching staff - I'd stick with messing with the NCAA being a far more serious issue for a potential employer...
Be careful not to pile on. We don't need NCAA looking into Bama.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

You're kidding, right?
No.

Because:

I was about to say - from an employment perspective cheating on your wife < messing with the NCAA.
In some professions (which can not be discussed in this area of the forum), the former could be seen as a resume enhancement.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

No.

Because:

In some professions (which can not be discussed in this area of the forum), the former could be seen as a resume enhancement.
You DO realize after all this time - I hope - I was mostly being sarcastic. I was chuckling at your Auburn point, and this is the group that hired Bruce Pearl and Petrino's name was heavily mentioned (and endorsed by some of their fans quite vocally) when Chizik was canned.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

You DO realize after all this time - I hope - I was mostly being sarcastic. I was chuckling at your Auburn point, and this is the group that hired Bruce Pearl and Petrino's name was heavily mentioned (and endorsed by some of their fans quite vocally) when Chizik was canned.
Yeah, and I tend to be a wisenheimer!

So, all is good.

(Of course, it would take API to hire Pearl. And it wasn't the first time they tried to hire Petrino.)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

If auburn thought they could lure Petrino to the loveliest village they would drop Malzahn in a split second.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

So, all is good.

(Of course, it would take API to hire Pearl. And it wasn't the first time they tried to hire Petrino.)
LOL, Thanks. I learn things on TFNS all the time. :biggrin:

wisenheimer

"Someone always making feeble wisecracks, who laughs at his/her own jokes and is generally deserving of severe and painful punishment.

That guy is up there thinking we are all listening to his puerile crap, such a wisenheimer. "

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

What? You want that I should drop on for you some more Yiddish? For a shegetz, I know a fair amount.

"Stop being such a schlemiel, you kvetching nebbish!"

(That ought to keep you busy for at least 5 minutes!) (Mazel tov!)

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma

So, all is good.

Some of their fans wanted to hire Briles (chief enabler @ Baylor) as an assistant.

Last edited:

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL

One thing to remember about the 21 counts, especially the LOIC and lack of HC control - in the NCAA's eyes, you are guilty until proven innocent. With all the allegations, it is going to be an uphill battle to disprove everything, especially the LOIC. This will not end well for Ole Miss, nor will it end well for CHF.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

When was the last time a school charged with LOIC had that overturned? I can't recall it happening, though it may well have. At this point, the jury has convicted OM, they have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to prove their innocence - this is why even the OM fans are saying they're getting hammered and CHF is done.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yup..CHF is literally a "Lame Duck HC" & the sooner Ole Miss parts way with him the faster the healing process will get going for the football program as a whole..CHF ticked off the wrong people within the NCAA & they came locked n loaded in Oxford with their main intentions of ridding college football of CHF..There's no way CHF didn't know what was going on within his football program, even if he didn't know, it was by choice to look the other way by "Winning At All Cost" if that were to be the case..That is just as bad as knowing..

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL

Anybody think someone other than CHF is HC at OM in September?
That's what I've been thinking. It might be like what Ohio State did with Luke Fickell a few years ago after Tressel resigned. They might promote an assistant to interim head coach this season (Matt Luke or Jason Jones), knowing that they have little to play for and then try to find a long-term solution starting in 2018. We'll see, but I'm enjoying every minute of this so far. I hope their two glorious wins over us were worth it!!

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Yup..CHF is literally a "Lame Duck HC" & the sooner Ole Miss parts way with him the faster the healing process will get going for the football program as a whole..CHF ticked off the wrong people within the NCAA & they came locked n loaded in Oxford with their main intentions of ridding college football of CHF..There's no way CHF didn't know what was going on within his football program, even if he didn't know, it was by choice to look the other way by "Winning At All Cost" if that were to be the case..That is just as bad as knowing..
Just waiting for the appeal to be denied so they can save some coin. Fire for cause = no buyout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.