NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

No, still dragging on. N Carolina has weathered the storm and recruiting is on the rise again. That is funny. Want to talk about a toothless NCAA? N Carolina went to the ACC championship game a couple years ago, while still under (what seems like a ten year) investigation. NCAA is a big joke if you are not textbookgate
Evidently "if you come to N Carolina we will make sure you graduate without having to go to class" is not considered cheating by the toothless tiger, LOL.
North Carolina is the worst case of academic fraud ever. If they are not hammered then no school should be placed on probation again...and the schools that have been penalized in the past should be apologized to by the NCAA.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

No, still dragging on. N Carolina has weathered the storm and recruiting is on the rise again. That is funny. Want to talk about a toothless NCAA? N Carolina went to the ACC championship game a couple years ago, while still under (what seems like a ten year) investigation. NCAA is a big joke if you are not textbookgated.

Evidently "if you come to N Carolina we will make sure you graduate without having to go to class" is not considered cheating by the toothless tiger, LOL.
There are a few issues at play here.

First, the case is still ongoing because new evidence came out awhile back (similar to Ole Miss).

Second, this is a tricky case because UNC is pointing at the fact the students were not solely athletes. Therefore, the NCAA can't say the classes were an extra benefit. If the NCAA is out of the way, SACS would be the only other group left to do something about it. Anyone think UNC is going to less its accreditation? Unlikely.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If this is the end of the NCAA, I will not shed a tear. Get the oxen and pull down the building. Sow the land with salt. Good riddance to a petty unaccountable bureaucracy that long ago lost sight of its reason for being.
This!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Thank you all for sharing with us your disdain for this thread and overall belief that the NCAA is worthless. Don't know how we've managed to keep this thread going without such insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I predict the NCCA will make Ole Miss vacate its wins so we will be undefeated in 2015:rolleye2:. Vacating wins as punishment is a piece of crap sanction since everyone knows how the game(s) turned out and nobody cares after the fact anyway. The mix or not to mix food thread on NS is a lot more interesting than this thread.
Actually, if they do have to vacate, we still keep our loss.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I predict the NCCA will make Ole Miss vacate its wins so we will be undefeated in 2015:rolleye2:. Vacating wins as punishment is a piece of crap sanction since everyone knows how the game(s) turned out and nobody cares after the fact anyway. The mix or not to mix food thread on NS is a lot more interesting than this thread.
I take it you must be a mixer

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

There are a few issues at play here.

First, the case is still ongoing because new evidence came out awhile back (similar to Ole Miss).

Second, this is a tricky case because UNC is pointing at the fact the students were not solely athletes. Therefore, the NCAA can't say the classes were an extra benefit. If the NCAA is out of the way, SACS would be the only other group left to do something about it. Anyone think UNC is going to less its accreditation? Unlikely.
I am not a lawyer but that is just a stupid rule. If we let some non athletes have good grades without going to class then we can let all our athletes have them too. If they give each freshman student two thousand dollars ...... then they can give all the freshman athletes $2,000 too? Yeah, I can see how the NCAA would have problems with that. Man, now that would be a recruiting tool. Come to NC and get $2,000 your first year!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I am not a lawyer but that is just a stupid rule. If we let some non athletes have good grades without going to class then we can let all our athletes have them too. If they give each freshman student two thousand dollars ...... then they can give all the freshman athletes $2,000 too? Yeah, I can see how the NCAA would have problems with that. Man, now that would be a recruiting tool. Come to NC and get $2,000 your first year!
As alluded earlier in this thread, I think the NCAA is wrestling with its own precedent from UTe / Tee Martin / Kramer / Fulmer / Johanneigmeier (sp?) fiasco.

Back in the early 2000s, they let UTe skate on academic fraud -- in their case, giving college credit for stacking chairs -- saying that content of college courses was out of their purview.

Essentially, close eyes, put fingers in ears, and hum.

Now they're trying to hang UNC for something really similar. I don't know how they reconcile those two positions. But if I'm UNC, I make them try.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Vacating wins does not erase our loss I don't think- just gives the conference an unbalanced record.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

As alluded earlier in this thread, I think the NCAA is wrestling with its own precedent from UTe / Tee Martin / Kramer / Fulmer / Johanneigmeier (sp?) fiasco.

Back in the early 2000s, they let UTe skate on academic fraud -- in their case, giving college credit for stacking chairs -- saying that content of college courses was out of their purview.

Essentially, close eyes, put fingers in ears, and hum.

Now they're trying to hang UNC for something really similar. I don't know how they reconcile those two positions. But if I'm UNC, I make them try.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/columns/story?columnist=farrey_tom&id=1745159

I'll just leave this here. This is what they are trying to work around. Can you say precedent? Anything that happens is used as justification for something that is two steps worse.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

http://www.espn.com/college-football/columns/story?columnist=farrey_tom&id=1745159

I'll just leave this here. This is what they are trying to work around. Can you say precedent? Anything that happens is used as justification for something that is two steps worse.
Dang, that brought back some bad memories. I thought I had those names memorized like Arya Stark knows her hit list. I remembered the leading players, but had forgotten a lot of the side actors.

I need a scotch.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I don't really think there is such a thing as precedent when it comes to the NCAA. Their objective is to make money. Their only real revenue stream is from the NCAA basketball tournament (mostly TV money). The two constituencies they must please to keep the money coming are their TV partners and the universities/conferences...more especially the Power 5 conferences and universities that the TV partners care about.

To justify their existence, they must police the member institutions in a way that seems meaningful but that doesn't offend their key constituencies to the point that the P5 conferences decide to withdraw and police themselves, establish an alternative sanctioning body, or (horror!) pull the plug on the basketball tournament and set up their own event, along the lines of the College Football Playoff. Rather than justice, their goal is avoiding as much embarrassing litigation as possible.

They want to avoid dishing out the kinds of punishments that will get too deeply into the pockets of the conference and the TV partners. They aren't going to dish out another death penalty (especially to a Power 5 team where it would cause fits for conference television contracts). They aren't going to declare Cam Newton ineligible before a big championship game. They will move against a program when a consensus develops within a conference that a program should be knocked down a few notches.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma

To those jolly rogers who want us to return to a respectful la la land rivalry with Tennessee--take note. And barely a blip on the radar as Phat returns to Tennessee.
Back to Ole Miss.
I remember when Fulmer was finally served with a subpoena. What became of that? I don't remember hearing any outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.