NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

IIRC Archie Manning either lead the search committee or was a prominent member of that committee that hired Freeze. I have always been a huge Archie Manning fan (not so either of his sons), but I wonder how Ole Miss wound up with someone like Freeze whose coaching credentials were very suspect to say the least, even for Ole Miss. It appears Ole Miss has a huge problem and would probably be well served to cut its losses at this point, take the sanctions and move on. But what the hell do I know.
Freeze was a 'known commodity' in the Memphis area, Manning and Co knew exactly what they were pursuing...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

Freeze was a 'known commodity' in the Memphis area, Manning and Co knew exactly what they were pursuing...
I'm sure the taco tuohy's had a lot to do with it and I wouldn't be surprised if they were funding some of the $ to cheat with as well.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

I'm sure the taco tuohy's had a lot to do with it and I wouldn't be surprised if they were funding some of the $ to cheat with as well.
Now we are starting to understand how far back this goes---------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oher

Quote - Oher was named Division II (2A) Lineman of the Year in 2003, and First Team Tennessee All-State.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] Scout.com rated Oher a five-star recruit and the No. 5 offensive lineman prospect in the country.[SUP][5][/SUP] Before that season and for his prior 20 months at Briarcrest, Oher had been living with several foster families. In 2004, Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy, a couple with a daughter and son attending Briarcrest, allowed Oher to live with them and eventually adopted him. The family began tending to his needs after becoming familiar with his difficult childhood. They also hired a tutor for him, who worked with him for 20 hours per week.[SUP][2][/SUP] Oher also earned two letters each in track and basketball. He averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds a game, earning All-State honors by helping lead the basketball team to a 27–6 record, winning the district championship as a senior. Oher was also a state runner-up in the discus as a senior.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Oher's low grades were initially a barrier to his acceptance to an NCAA program. He eventually increased his 0.76 grade point average (GPA) to a 2.52 GPA by the end of his senior year so he could attend a Division I school by enrolling in some 10-day-long Internet-based courses from Brigham Young University. Taking and passing the internet courses allowed him to replace Ds and Fs earned in earlier school classes, such as English, with As earned via the Internet.[SUP][7][/SUP] This finally raised his graduating GPA over the required minimum.[SUP][2][/SUP]

So Micheal Oher was already the #5 offensive line prospect in the country when he moved in, contrary to the "narrative" that has been presented.

The above education scenario is the same thing David Saunders tried with Jerrell Powe. Powe was a February 2006 recruit who was recruited in the fall of 2004 and all through 2005 who eventually got to school in 2008. So----who taught who? Saunders or the Network?

So, let's set a better time line of who and when----who was at Ole Miss for time frame? David Cutcliff was let go at the end of 2004? You remember why Cut was fired? They "said" it was because he would not make changes to his staff. I say he would not play the way the #Network wanted him to play.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

The Committee on Infractions announced significant penalties against the University of Louisville on Thursday. Louisville will have to vacate its 2013 national title if it does not win an appeal, which would be the first men’s basketball title vacated in NCAA history. The penalties also included a five-game ACC suspension for coach Rick Pitino, the latest Hall of Fame coach to endure a significant punishment.

In a big year for the NCAA enforcement process, the group has made an early statement that Hall of Fame coaches and blue blood programs will not be spared. And no one has been watching closer than officials at Ole Miss and North Carolina.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...ille-sanctions-north-carolina-ole-miss-061517

Maybe they have mended their ways and will be more consistent. We can watch and see.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Now we are starting to understand how far back this goes---------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oher

Quote - Oher was named Division II (2A) Lineman of the Year in 2003, and First Team Tennessee All-State.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] Scout.com rated Oher a five-star recruit and the No. 5 offensive lineman prospect in the country.[SUP][5][/SUP] Before that season and for his prior 20 months at Briarcrest, Oher had been living with several foster families. In 2004, Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy, a couple with a daughter and son attending Briarcrest, allowed Oher to live with them and eventually adopted him. The family began tending to his needs after becoming familiar with his difficult childhood. They also hired a tutor for him, who worked with him for 20 hours per week.[SUP][2][/SUP] Oher also earned two letters each in track and basketball. He averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds a game, earning All-State honors by helping lead the basketball team to a 27–6 record, winning the district championship as a senior. Oher was also a state runner-up in the discus as a senior.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Oher's low grades were initially a barrier to his acceptance to an NCAA program. He eventually increased his 0.76 grade point average (GPA) to a 2.52 GPA by the end of his senior year so he could attend a Division I school by enrolling in some 10-day-long Internet-based courses from Brigham Young University. Taking and passing the internet courses allowed him to replace Ds and Fs earned in earlier school classes, such as English, with As earned via the Internet.[SUP][7][/SUP] This finally raised his graduating GPA over the required minimum.[SUP][2][/SUP]

So Micheal Oher was already the #5 offensive line prospect in the country when he moved in, contrary to the "narrative" that has been presented.

The above education scenario is the same thing David Saunders tried with Jerrell Powe. Powe was a February 2006 recruit who was recruited in the fall of 2004 and all through 2005 who eventually got to school in 2008. So----who taught who? Saunders or the Network?

So, let's set a better time line of who and when----who was at Ole Miss for time frame? David Cutcliff was let go at the end of 2004? You remember why Cut was fired? They "said" it was because he would not make changes to his staff. I say he would not play the way the #Network wanted him to play.
So Oher was a big deal prior to landing with the Tuohy family?

That suggests some major issues with Michael Lewis' narrative.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So Oher was a big deal prior to landing with the Tuohy family?

That suggests some major issues with Michael Lewis' narrative.
Check the footnote for all of those points - Michael Lewis' book.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

My guess is that Ole Miss' blithering attempt to save Freeze stems from their well-earned inferiority complex combined with the fact he's a home boy competing against a Yankee (Mullen) who has done a helluva job putting together something decent on the field by StarkVegas standards.

When football was lily white, Ole Miss was a big deal. They haven't been a big deal now in half a century so the number of folks who can even remember this is shrinking with each passing year. And just as with the Barn, it is one of the Articles of Faith of the Religion of the Grove: the only reason Bama beats us is because they cheat and we are virginal clean.

From a 1993 SI:

Just the year before, Ole Miss coach Billy Brewer had accused him of being a snob and a liar, among other things. Sherrill cheats, Brewer said, in the fashion of "all those [Bear] Bryant boys like Charley Pell and Danny Ford."

Less than a year after this story ran (and less than two years after making the charge):

Billy Brewer Fired

Mississippi football coach Billy Brewer was fired a day after athletic director Warner Alford resigned and 31/2 weeks after the school announced an NCAA inquiry alleging 15 violations.

This case was so open and shut that only five months after news of the inquiry broke - "Ole Miss Found Guilty of 15 Infractions"

NCAA sanctions levied yesterday against the University of Mississippi football program might cripple it for years.

The NCAA infractions committee found Mississippi guilty of 15 violations. They ranged from a lack of institutional control to offers of cash, plane tickets and cars to prospects by staff members and boosters.

Because Mississippi was penalized for similar acts in 1986, the NCAA showed no leniency, said David Swank, University of Oklahoma law professor and chairman of the committee on infractions.

"This is one of the most serious cases we've had since I've been a member of the committee," said Swank, in his fourth year as infractions committee chairman.

The committee placed Mississippi on probation for four years, banned it from postseason play for two years, banned it from playing in televised games for one year, and slashed the number of new players Mississippi can put on scholarship the next two years from 25 to 13 per year.

The scholarship reduction was the most severe levied against a Division I-A school since Southern Methodist University was barred from offering any scholarships or fielding a team in 1987 and '88.

The committee also found former football coach Billy Brewer guilty of unethical conduct, a charge not contained in the original letter of inquiry. The committee imposed a penalty that all but bars Brewer from another NCAA coaching job for four years.

Brewer's attorney said he would continue with plans for a lawsuit against Ole Miss seeking compensation for the final three years of Brewer's contract.

===============

Wanna know what people hate worse than a cheater?

A cheater who accuses others and pretends he isn't one.

THIS is what you're dealing with folks. Brewer himself was an Ole Miss player, he played 1957-60 for Vaught.

They're terrified of what's coming if they lose Freeze. You can't exactly get an Urban Meyer type to come to Oxford and Mullen appears to be going nowhere and ain't no slouch at the local thing.

For those who don't get the mentality, this is it. It's about state superiority and continuing to pretend everyone else cheats but you don't.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

THIS is what you're dealing with folks. Brewer himself was an Ole Miss player, he played 1957-60 for Vaught.
They're terrified of what's coming if they lose Freeze. You can't exactly get an Urban Meyer type to come to Oxford and Mullen appears to be going nowhere and ain't no slouch at the local thing.
You nailed it, Selma; it's hard enough to convince a quality coach to come into the SEC and face off against Saban every year--but if you're also crippled with sanctions? They'd be lucky to get John L. Smith to take the gig.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Bruse Lloyd sounds like a character in a Grisham novel

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Read the excerpts. Didn't listen to the podcast.

Am I reading this wrong? Seems like Loyd is saying, "Barney's not mad...we have no reason to sue anybody...all is well on our side."

Sounds like the network finally ponied up enough cash to make Farrar happy with being thrown under the bus.

Which is way different from Farrar's quotes from just a few weeks ago.

Am I missing something?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Am I reading this wrong? Seems like Loyd is saying, "Barney's not mad...we have no reason to sue anybody...all is well on our side."

Sounds like the network finally ponied up enough cash to make Farrar happy with being thrown under the bus.

Am I missing something?
I listened to a few minutes of the interview live. He didn't come across as the most prepared attorney in the state of Mississippi.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Am I missing something?
This is what I am thinking. berney somehow found some hapine$$

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

I still have not decided what I think about this. Several things that I know, just don't add up.
I know that the Ole Miss "administration" has abdicated their responsibility. If you listen to Loyd he says as much. He doesn't know who the decision makers are.
I know the "decision makers" have lied, delayed, and been deceitful with their fan base since the rumors started over 5 years ago. There is no reason to think they have changed strategies now.
I know there is an organized effort by all of their web sites and media connections pushing a theory that the two witnesses lied.
I know that the Mississippi judicial system is more crooked than Louisiana under King Fish and that Charlie Merckle has a better chance of winning his suit than the Bingo defendants.

I know that Merckle winning the Rebel Rags case bodes well for Barney Farrar. If the stories are true, Barney and the Rebel Rags people know each other well. I can't help but think this is a dual attack on the witnesses who fingered Barney all done while giving the school and all the assistants cover while they continue to smile and cooperate. All very well organized by a group outside the administration.

We'll see but I'm not believing anything they are selling.

Can you imagine being the President of this University and being the spokesperson at the COI meeting and espousing the line they are pushing?

Last edited:

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Rumor mill says new information coming tonight debunking the Ole Miss narrative that SA39 and SA 40 are liars-----

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.