NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I tend to agree with Bill, OM may not have any takers and may have to settle for Matt Luke for a couple of years. Any decent head coach has to realize that he is stepping into a perennial 7-5, 8-4 program that will probably be heavily sanctioned. This is not USCw or Alabama we are talking about. In all likelihood OM is looking at at least 3-5 years as the cellar dweller in the SEC West. The best they can hope for is for Luke to get them through the sanction period and then look for a real HC, similar to the Shula situation.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I tend to agree with Bill, OM may not have any takers and may have to settle for Matt Luke for a couple of years. Any decent head coach has to realize that he is stepping into a perennial 7-5, 8-4 program that will probably be heavily sanctioned. This is not USCw or Alabama we are talking about. In all likelihood OM is looking at at least 3-5 years as the cellar dweller in the SEC West. The best they can hope for is for Luke to get them through the sanction period and then look for a real HC, similar to the Shula situation.
Luke was directly responsible for the recruitment of Tunsil. For Luke to have the slightest chance of seeing next year it would take a winning season and for Bjork to still be there. Neither is very likely. Luke is only still there because no one would've taken over 6 weeks before kickoff. Shula atleast had neatly 3 months to assemble a staff, talk to recruits,and get a feel of what he had. Had we only had 6 weeks to prepare after Price then we would've had Kines as a coach most likely for 1 year.

Point is Ole Miss isn't using Luke to ride out the sanctions they are doing it to ride out the year where they can get someone to ride out the sanctions. This is more of a USC and Oeaux situation and not a LSU and Oeaux situation.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
This is why I think they're stuck.

It's sorta like the movie "We Are Marshall," without all the sad feelings for all the dead players. The program is going to get hit with a bomb. No established coach is going to go clean it up, which leaves you with an up and coming coach. Indeed, this is the kind of job that screams ONLY for someone who:

a) cannot get a job elsewhere (which is hardly conducive to rebuilding Ole Miss)
b) is a diamond in the rough and can turn things around - a guy below the big name's radar.......and yet there's literally no way to know who that will be.

Go back and look at Nick Saban pre-LSU and BE HONEST - do any of you look at his record at Michigan St and say, "There's a guy who can turn it all around?"

No, you don't. Saban was a middling .500 football coach entering 1999, a guy with an 0-3 bowl record and an overall record of 25-23-1, who had never finished better than 5th in an 11-team league and was assumed to be a .500 coach since they play Ohio State either of his first two seasons.

He had ONE good year at Michigan State, and even that year had not only had a bunch of narrow wins but two blowout losses. Three plays the other way and Michigan State is 6-5 again.

But Saban has the name of a former head coach and LSU rolled the dice. Even his first season he had an insanely embarrassing loss to UAB. After 19 games at LSU, he was 12-7 and five of those losses weren't even really close.

Then he turned it around.

That's the thing here - Ole Miss literally has to find something close to next Nick Saban buried in the rough out there somewhere, a guy nobody else will give a chance.

I think Dooley is only a candidate because his father was an SEC legend. I think if his last name was Smith that it would not be on this list at all. Plus, Ole Miss has this obsession with former SEC personnel (Sloan/Brewer/Cutcliffe/Nutt/Freeze - only Tubs and Orgeron were different, and nobody thought Orgeron was on the radar nationally anyway).
No one hired Nick because of his last name. Come on. He was more like Dan Mullen in that his 7-5 teams were still very respectable and it was worth seeing what he could do with more resources and better recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Because he took over an MSU team riddled with NCAA sanctions and still fielded a respectable team.

"When Saban arrived in East Lansing, Michigan prior to the 1995 season, MSU had not had a winning season since 1990, and the team was sanctioned by the NCAA for recruiting violations committed under his predecessor and former mentor, George Perles."
We can look back NOW and say "oh wow," but the notion of it then? Not so good.

Michigan State had won a Rose Bowl as recently as the end of the 1987 season.

LSU found a diamond in the rough. And I'll be honest: I laughed at them at the time and so did bayoutider.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No one hired Nick because of his last name. Come on.
Early in his career? I'm not saying folks didn't see talent in him, but it's a nepotism sport where a name helps. How else does one explain the repeated hiring of the Ryan brothers?

Was it the sole reason? No. Was it a factor in him moving up to start with? Yes.

He was more like Dan Mullen in that his 7-5 teams were still very respectable and it was worth seeing what he could do with more resources and better recruits.
All I'm saying is it's the same thing in the sense that sure NOW we look at Saban and see, "Well, it was so obvious." But that's not what most folks thought then.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - I don't advocate for this BUT......Ole Miss might improve their standing publicly if they hired a black head coach.

MSU essentially got the NCAA to not hit the as hard (only lost 8 scholarships) after they hired Croom.

Of course, I don't think the windbags running that place are that intelligent to make that kind of political deal. MSU did get a four-year hit from the NCAA, but they only lost one bowl year and eight scholarships total.

Ole Miss might want to consider it....

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
This is why I think they're stuck.

It's sorta like the movie "We Are Marshall," without all the sad feelings for all the dead players. The program is going to get hit with a bomb. No established coach is going to go clean it up, which leaves you with an up and coming coach. Indeed, this is the kind of job that screams ONLY for someone who:

a) cannot get a job elsewhere (which is hardly conducive to rebuilding Ole Miss)
b) is a diamond in the rough and can turn things around - a guy below the big name's radar.......and yet there's literally no way to know who that will be.
Ole Miss is done with retreads. And no current coach or D-1 up and coming coordinator will touch it until someone else tries it and cleans it up a little. Ole Miss will not hire anyone who is not pristine with the NCAA so Lane is out and I don't believe he has interest anyway. He's not interested in playing with recruiting sanctions at a place that historically has had the deck stacked against them. There is one hot name of a D-1 offensive coordinator who is from Mississippi with family ties to the school (his father played there and has been a Mississippi high school coach for 25 years who has sent kids to Ole Miss time and time again) who has been a head coach at two different Gulf South Conference schools and won conference championships at both, has a winning percentage of >70%, has contacts in Mississippi and is looking for a big break. His current head coach was his head coach in college where they went to the Div II Semi-finals a dozen or so years ago. He is low key, humble, and low maintenance----and just inexperienced enough for the #Network to be interested.

I can see them paying (what fr him would be) life changing money to guide them through three or four years of probation. And only two paragraphs.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
In my opinion, the bigger issue for whomever takes that job is that it is not like there is strong AD leadership right now. The booster/inmates are running the asylum. Until they can cut down that influence (you can't eliminate it) the new head coach is going to surrounded by clowns with more dollars than sense. A big name like Les might go a ways towards backing them down -- though part of that is a function of not being able to understand what the heck he is talking about. I think it would be a tough fit for Miles. He was used to a job where he was the kingpin in the state and there was lots of in-state talent. But my guess is he has to be itching to get back into coaching and especially at a place where he'd have a chance (however small) of getting back at LSU.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Ole Miss is done with retreads. And no current coach or D-1 up and coming coordinator will touch it until someone else tries it and cleans it up a little. Ole Miss will not hire anyone who is not pristine with the NCAA so Lane is out and I don't believe he has interest anyway. He's not interested in playing with recruiting sanctions at a place that historically has had the deck stacked against them. There is one hot name of a D-1 offensive coordinator who is from Mississippi with family ties to the school (his father played there and has been a Mississippi high school coach for 25 years who has sent kids to Ole Miss time and time again) who has been a head coach at two different Gulf South Conference schools and won conference championships at both, has a winning percentage of >70%, has contacts in Mississippi and is looking for a big break. His current head coach was his head coach in college where they went to the Div II Semi-finals a dozen or so years ago. He is low key, humble, and low maintenance----and just inexperienced enough for the #Network to be interested.

I can see them paying (what fr him would be) life changing money to guide them through three or four years of probation. And only two paragraphs.
Will Hall.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
Go back and look at Nick Saban pre-LSU and BE HONEST - do any of you look at his record at Michigan St and say, "There's a guy who can turn it all around?"

No, you don't. Saban was a middling .500 football coach entering 1999, a guy with an 0-3 bowl record and an overall record of 25-23-1, who had never finished better than 5th in an 11-team league and was assumed to be a .500 coach since they play Ohio State either of his first two seasons.

He had ONE good year at Michigan State, and even that year had not only had a bunch of narrow wins but two blowout losses. Three plays the other way and Michigan State is 6-5 again.

But Saban has the name of a former head coach and LSU rolled the dice. Even his first season he had an insanely embarrassing loss to UAB. After 19 games at LSU, he was 12-7 and five of those losses weren't even really close.

Then he turned it around.
You are absolutely spot on here. To be honest, I was not nearly as excited as a lot of people were when he was hired at Alabama. He had a great season in 2003, losing only to Florida (who finished 8-5). His Tigers lost to Alabama by a score of 31-0 in 2002. Then, there was the loss to UAB in 2000 and they barely beat Alabama in 2000. LSU only won 10 games twice in 5 years under Saban. (In contrast, Alabama has failed to win 10 games under Saban only once - in 2007.) I saw him as a better-than-average coach from his days at LSU, but certainly not the caliber we've witnessed since his arrival at Alabama. That said, if Ole Miss receives anything close to the sanctions they should reasonably deserve, I doubt if even Nick Saban could have a lot of success there. With their history of mediocre recruitment, add in the sanctions and Oxford should resemble Chernobyl for several years.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We can look back NOW and say "oh wow," but the notion of it then? Not so good.

Michigan State had won a Rose Bowl as recently as the end of the 1987 season.

LSU found a diamond in the rough. And I'll be honest: I laughed at them at the time and so did bayoutider.
Funny, I don't recall that being the general vibe, but my memory isn't on par with yours.

I recall it generally being considered a really good hire with lots of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.