NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

Pat Forde was on finebaum today. He seems to think Ole Miss will release something by the end of the week and its not going to be as pretty.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA - page 80)

How long does this continue to drag out?
Latest word out of north Mississippi and off the North Shore of New Orleans; Ole Miss is starting to hear from several well healed boosters named in the NOA (amended) that the information about them is untrue and if the University releases the information they will be sued for libel. The ethics commission has already ruled that redacting the information is not the school's right and that the school must comply with the Freedom of Information request. My bet is they don't release anything.

Erebody startin' to lawyer up. This might get really, really fun. I mean Tommy Gallion, Fat Phil type fun.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

This is going to make the North Carolina case look quick.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Latest word out of north Mississippi and off the North Shore of New Orleans; Ole Miss is starting to hear from several well healed boosters named in the NOA (amended) that the information about them is untrue and if the University releases the information they will be sued for libel. The ethics commission has already ruled that redacting the information is not the school's right and that the school must comply with the Freedom of Information request. My bet is they don't release anything.

Erebody startin' to lawyer up. This might get really, really fun. I mean Tommy Gallion, Fat Phil type fun.
Of course it's not.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Rule #1 of buying players: Pay everybody. Pay in green cash, small bills. Pay them enough to tolerate being publicly thrown under the bus and still keep their mouths shut.

Apparently, the Bears either didn't pay Nutt and Farrar enough to take the current heat, or left them off the payroll altogether.

Cheap or stupid. Take your pick.
Don't rule out "both".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Someone help me here. How would Ole Miss be guilty of libel for releasing the NOA, which was written by the NCAA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Someone help me here. How would Ole Miss be guilty of libel for releasing the NOA, which was written by the NCAA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, Ole Miss can't be held accountable for releasing something by force of law which they did not write. Those people could sue the NCAA, but not Ole Miss, unless their names were added by Ole Miss.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Libel defined entails "publishing". NCAA will never publish even though they wrote it. By law, a public University must "provide access" to information subject to the Freedom of Information Act. My bet, Ole Miss's lawyers will recommend they not release it at all until the COI meeting is over and sanctions are announced, regardless of what the toothless Ethics Commission says. By the time they wrangle through the courts, it will be long over.

This is nothing more than what Ole Miss has continued to do for the past five years. Anything to delay.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Obms providing great info in this thread

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Libel defined entails "publishing". NCAA will never publish even though they wrote it. By law, a public University must "provide access" to information subject to the Freedom of Information Act. My bet, Ole Miss's lawyers will recommend they not release it at all until the COI meeting is over and sanctions are announced, regardless of what the toothless Ethics Commission says. By the time they wrangle through the courts, it will be long over.

This is nothing more than what Ole Miss has continued to do for the past five years. Anything to delay.
Good point. Forgot that aspect of it. Ole Miss would be in a difficult situation with the suit, too. They would have to prove the statements are true, which then in turns admits their guilt.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

It will but the biggest concern in the state currently is the FOIA request and how it has been handled by the school as it relates to booster names. There is a book being written by the guy who made the request. He wants to name names in his book without being subject to libel. So the names must come out from another source. The MSU people want the names and the book stands to make a tidy sum. It looks like Ole Miss is going to use this faux lawsuit talk to force someone to sue them over their refusal to comply with the FOIA request. They will keep that tied up for years and offer access to the NOA with names redacted as a solution to the FOA request.

Or they could release the redacted NOA and response this week with an apology of "we want to do the right thing but we can't".

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

What's taking the REC hackers so long to get those NOA's to WikiLeaks?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

It will but the biggest concern in the state currently is the FOIA request and how it has been handled by the school as it relates to booster names. There is a book being written by the guy who made the request. He wants to name names in his book without being subject to libel. So the names must come out from another source. The MSU people want the names and the book stands to make a tidy sum. It looks like Ole Miss is going to use this faux lawsuit talk to force someone to sue them over their refusal to comply with the FOIA request. They will keep that tied up for years and offer access to the NOA with names redacted as a solution to the FOA request.

Or they could release the redacted NOA and response this week with an apology of "we want to do the right thing but we can't".
I just hope that no boosters are hit from "The Blind Side" and get their "Taco Bell" rang.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ole Miss has released their response.

Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.