NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
I'll take Missing The Point for the daily double, Alex.
"Why would he go to Oxford when there will be bigger paying jobs for teams NOT on probation after this year in other places - most probably Notre Dame and Texas A/M or possibly even Auburn?"

O.K.; I am game; the point I missed was?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"Why would he go to Oxford when there will be bigger paying jobs for teams NOT on probation after this year in other places - most probably Notre Dame and Texas A/M or possibly even Auburn?"

O.K.; I am game; the point I missed was?

You completely missed the point because you only cited PART of what I said, which is one of my real hang-ups.

What did I say?
I think Les Miles to Ole Miss is a pipe dream and Ole Miss is doing the most smoking.

I think he's playing "interest" (knowing he won't take the job) to boost his market value. Let's face it: how many coaches out there in the market have run successful programs long-term at the highest level? (Even if the argument is, "But he won his national title with Saban's players," he still won an SEC long after Saban was in Tuscaloosa).

Why would he go to Oxford when there will be bigger paying jobs for teams NOT on probation after this year in other places - most probably Notre Dame and Texas A/M or possibly even Auburn?

He HAS to say he's interested or he lowers his own value.

I don't buy Miles to Ole Miss for even a nanosecond.
Now let me explain syntax for you.

I never said he was going to Notre Dame or even ATM. What I said was crystal clear - why would he go to Ole Miss when there will be bigger paying jobs for teams NOT on probation - and then I gave three examples of places that will have open jobs (most likely) that will pay more than Ole Miss.

I literally never said anything at all about Miles going specifically to either of those places. I gave them simply as examples. There are going to be MUCH better jobs than Ole Miss after Thanksgiving.

Had I wanted to say Miles was going to Notre Dame, I would have said it like this:

I think Les Miles to Ole Miss is a pipe dream and Ole Miss is doing the most smoking.

I think he's playing "interest" (knowing he won't take the job) to boost his market value. Let's face it: how many coaches out there in the market have run successful programs long-term at the highest level? (Even if the argument is, "But he won his national title with Saban's players," he still won an SEC long after Saban was in Tuscaloosa).

Why would he go to Oxford when there will be bigger paying jobs for teams NOT on probation after this year in other places - most probably Notre Dame and Texas A/M or possibly even Auburn? In fact, I think he winds up at Notre Dame.

He HAS to say he's interested or he lowers his own value.

I don't buy Miles to Ole Miss for even a nanosecond.

But I never said any such thing. Missing the Point because the point was that Miles is using this as leverage as a gambler would. I don't have any problem with this. I lived through Butch Davis, Frank Beamer, and a couple of other coaches using feigned interest in Alabama for big money contracts (though I have been told Davis was coming to Alabama prior to the breaking of the Albert Means scandal).

Furthermore, your snide comment about my birthplace suggests you don't know actually know me and trust me - I'm pretty well known around here. I'll disagree charitably, my sarcastic remarks are in good fun, and I'll recall any position you take on almost anything.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Les will be 64 in November. (Ten days after Saban turns 66).

I don't see any big names taking a shot with him. Maybe a G5 looking to make a splash.

The Ole Miss idea is intriguing, as I bet he'd like to stick it to LSU at one of their big rivals. But he probably doesn't want to ride out the probation years at his age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Selma, I know how you feel. Some people put words in my mouth on about every post. A couple of paragraphs would turn into a very, very long post if we had to list all the things we DON'T MEAN in what we said :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't see any big names taking a shot with him. Maybe a G5 looking to make a splash.

The Ole Miss idea is intriguing, as I bet he'd like to stick it to LSU at one of their big rivals. But he probably doesn't want to ride out the probation years at his age.
Miles could really want another shot at proving that LSU made a mistake. At Ole Miss he gets a shot at both LSU and Alabama every year. And having him at the helm would stabilize recruiting for Ole Miss during that period. Les could always recruit with the best. Imagine the damage he could do to LSU recruiting with his established relationships in the state if he returned to the SEC?

I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but I could absolutely see Miles wanting to take this job.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Because of his age? I`m not so sure. Depends on health and vitality IMHO. I`m 69, employed in an executive position full time and honestly feel I`m better now at what I do than I certainly was at a younger age.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Selma, I know how you feel. Some people put words in my mouth on about every post. A couple of paragraphs would turn into a very, very long post if we had to list all the things we DON'T MEAN in what we said :)
But GooBer will tell us what he don't mean anyhow sometimes likely as not. He might use the blue font on these words but he would end up not meaning it.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Miles could really want another shot at proving that LSU made a mistake. At Ole Miss he gets a shot at both LSU and Alabama every year. And having him at the helm would stabilize recruiting for Ole Miss during that period. Les could always recruit with the best. Imagine the damage he could do to LSU recruiting with his established relationships in the state if he returned to the SEC?

I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but I could absolutely see Miles wanting to take this job.
By the time the NCAA gets done with ole miss they will be Vanderbilt west in terms of competitive chances, Miles won't have a shot at either LSU or Bama. I think the only way he takes the job is for a stupid amount of money and he spends his tenure building an honest solid recruiting foundation and team foundation for a good upcoming coach to take over.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Because of his age? I`m not so sure. Depends on health and vitality IMHO. I`m 69, employed in an executive position full time and honestly feel I`m better now at what I do than I certainly was at a younger age.
Do you honestly think you could find a job right now? I am sure you are good at what you do, but would someone hire you?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sources: Ole Miss wants ex-recruits to attend infractions hearing

Attorneys representing Ole Miss and its former coaches and administrators who have been accused of violating NCAA rules have asked that two Mississippi State football players be required to attend the Rebels' infractions hearing later this summer, multiple sources familiar with the case told ESPN.

NCAA officials have told lawyers representing Ole Miss that Bulldogs players Leo Lewis and Kobe Jones might be asked to appear at the infractions hearing to answer questions from committee members. It's unclear whether the players have received a notice to appear at the hearing, which will probably take place sometime in late August or early September.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'll reiterate that I don't see how the NCAA can allow Ole Miss to continue going after witnesses.
I'm pretty clueless when it come to the bureaucracy of the NCAA and their proceedings but would it be wrong to theorize that this is just an attempt to drag down Miss. State with them? they know they are going to get skewered so why not cripple your biggest rival as well to level the playing? Again, not sure how the "if this, then that" works in these investigation.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'll reiterate that I don't see how the NCAA can allow Ole Miss to continue going after witnesses.
I think that is where Sankey needs the step in. Ole Miss has already turned this thing into a freak show. Sankey needs to let them know they aren't going to open that kettle of fish and "air the conference's dirty laundry in public".

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe that you should have a right to face your accusers and cross-examine them. These are not random witnesses. Their allegations are serious.

ETA - Remember Fulmer during the Means fiasco? Wouldn't you have liked to have had the opportunity to challenge his testimony?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think that is where Sankey needs the step in. Ole Miss has already turned this thing into a freak show. Sankey needs to let them know they aren't going to open that kettle of fish and "air the conference's dirty laundry in public".
Not sure he can do that because he's the chair of the COI.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I believe that you should have a right to face your accusers and cross-examine them. These are not random witnesses. Their allegations are serious.

ETA - Remember Fulmer during the Means fiasco? Wouldn't you have liked to have had the opportunity to challenge his testimony?
I back you in theory but this could open up a very ugly can of worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.