Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Art Briles fired)

I've made this argument many times, but people get stubborn in support of their sports "heroes".
The thing is - it depends. And it also depends on the circumstances.

Some folks here were ready to crucify Dak Prescott over a DUI. But a DUI, while yes, being a crime, is also the kind of thing that folks usually get when they're more impaired than they realize. And Prescott doesn't have a history of this kind of behavior, either (unless, of course, MSU has managed to cover-up a bunch of stuff as well).

We can consider case after case and we'll almost never arrive at unanimity. It's like Hall of Fame voting - we all know Willie Mays IS a Hall of Famer and John Roper isn't, but about half the folks in-between we can have some great arguments.

We ALL realize rape is unpardonable and can't be covered up and that UGA giving a prospect a T-shirt but getting popped by the NCAA is absurd......everything in between we can argue about.

Some of you are too young to remember a TCU coach named Jim Wacker. He took over TCU in 1983 and in 1984, he got them as high as #12, their highest ranking (at the time) since 1960. In 1985, TCU was expected to make a possible national title run and had a Heisman Trophy candidate in Kenneth Davis. Remember - this is in the old SMU cheating days. After the 1985 opener, Wacker learned of a payment system and kicked six players off the team INCLUDING Davis. (Folks, this would be similar to Auburn kicking Cam Newton off the team in 2010). He reported the violations to the NCAA.

The man did exactly what he was supposed to do (unlike Baylor).

His reward? THREE YEARS of probation, two years no bowl, 35 lost scholarship....for doing the RIGHT THING!!!!!

And instead of being nice, the NCAA head hauls off and basically says, "Good thing you turned yourselves in or we'd have REALLY hit you hard."

Thing is - you can't bury folks who try to do the right thing at stage one, either. Wacker was bitter and rightly so. Otoh - his name is still associated with high integrity long after he passed away.

I don't think anyone will be saying that about Paterno or Briles.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Now Ken Starr tells ESPN he is resigning.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ken Starr did an interview with Joe Schad today. Let's just say it didn't go well. Waiting for an actual article instead of the long string of tweets from Joe.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup..From a look we hired a HC with a great NCAA track record to come in to help clean up our mess standpoint it's a good hire..But..His style of offense contrasts to the talent that's at Baylor right now is not good at all & will show up in a bad way on the football field..Briles recruited a specific style of athlete for his offense that doesn't translate to Grobes style of offense..

Baylor must think they're going to be hammered hard by the NCAA & will ride it out for 2-3yrs under Grobe..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Ken Starr did an interview with Joe Schad today. Let's just say it didn't go well. Waiting for an actual article instead of the long string of tweets from Joe.

Heard bits and pieces of it, on the local ESPN affiliate. They called it the "Sgt. Schultz" interview, as he claimed to be in a "veil of ignorance". From what I heard.....................yeah, pretty clear he is a lawyer. Talked a lot and still said nothing.

They then had Schad on, and asked him what his take on what Starr had to say. Schad said he believes that Starr honestly believes what he said. Like that clarifies things any. He did say the interview was conducted after he stepped down, so no one at Baylor had to give their seal of approval. Although he did say that he was "negotiating" an interview, for some time. Guess what he meant was Starr probably said something like "maybe, when the time is right."

The only other cogent thing Schad said was Starr wants the full report to be made public. Guess he thinks he will come out with a cleaner reputation, once all the dirt is uncovered.

Anyway, if you think this story is over, and is going away...................looks like it hasn't even started yet.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Seven Baylor recruits request releases from NLIs

Seven members of Baylor's 17th-ranked 2016 recruiting class are requesting releases from their national letter-of-intent, including four ESPN 300 recruits and the Bears' top three rated signees.

Baylor's 2016 class that signed in February ranked as the best in school history, but signees Patrick Hudson, J.P. Urquidez, Jared Atkinson, Kameron Martin, Parrish Cobb and Donovan Duvernay have already requested releases from their NLI that bind them to the university, sources close to all seven confirmed. Fellow signee Devin Duvernay, the No. 3 ranked receiver in the ESPN 300 and the top prospect in Baylor's class, intends to request his release and is close to completing that process.

All seven signees were supposed to enroll at Baylor on Monday but held off. They want to play college football at another school after Baylor announced last week Art Briles will be fired in response to a scathing review of the Bears' handling of sexual assault allegations made against several football players.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm kinda torn about this,,It's been in the news about what was going on at Baylor during their recruiting process, it's not like it was a big secret, I imagine schools recruiting against Baylor told these kids this could happen if they chose to go to Baylor..If the NCAA hammers Baylor I could understand letting them go to another school..Just cause Briles was fired I dunno if they should be let out of their commitment..I may be totally wrong in my way of thinking..Just my opinion..

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
TideMan09;"I'm kinda torn about this,,It's been in the news about what was going on at Baylor during their recruiting process, it's not like it was a big secret, I imagine schools recruiting against Baylor told these kids this could happen if they chose to go to Baylor.."

You mean that the schools recruiting against Baylor knew the extent of the scandal that is unfolding? We are still learning just how high and deep this disgusting conspiracy went so, no the recruiters from other schools had no clue any of this was going to be as bad as it has turned out and no way the recruits knew either.

"If the NCAA hammers Baylor I could understand letting them go to another school..Just cause Briles was fired I dunno if they should be let out of their commitment.."

I think now that we know that the AD and school prez are resigning coupled with the HC getting fired means the entire athletic program will be in disarray. None of these kids signed up to go to school under these circumstances and believe it or not, some of them may morally object to going to a school involved in such a despicable scandal.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
TideMan09;"I'm kinda torn about this,,It's been in the news about what was going on at Baylor during their recruiting process, it's not like it was a big secret, I imagine schools recruiting against Baylor told these kids this could happen if they chose to go to Baylor.."

You mean that the schools recruiting against Baylor knew the extent of the scandal that is unfolding? We are still learning just how high and deep this disgusting conspiracy went so, no the recruiters from other schools had no clue any of this was going to be as bad as it has turned out and no way the recruits knew either.

"If the NCAA hammers Baylor I could understand letting them go to another school..Just cause Briles was fired I dunno if they should be let out of their commitment.."

I think now that we know that the AD and school prez are resigning coupled with the HC getting fired means the entire athletic program will be in disarray. None of these kids signed up to go to school under these circumstances and believe it or not, some of them may morally object to going to a school involved in such a despicable scandal.
I agree with what you're saying..I imagine Briles & his coaching staff had sugarcoated all the rumors that had been floating around about Baylor as well making it sound as if nothing would come of it & all will be just fine..

I can't & don't blame these kids for wanting out at Baylor..Now will Baylor do the right thing & give them their full release..I won't hold my breathe about Baylor doing the "Right Thing" when it comes to anything..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.