Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Art Briles fired)

Just wandering from people more into the x and os, what type of season Baylor could have under this guy.
I figured Baylor would have a bad season. Then, I looked at their schedule. Other than the murderous month of October, they should be fine.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I figured Baylor would have a bad season. Then, I looked at their schedule. Other than the murderous month of October, they should be fine.
That's an average Baylor schedule. Heck, it's an average TCU schedule to. People have been trying to hype up some of those Big 12 teams and pondering why the committee would overlook them and so on, well it's easy to overlook a team that plays a soft schedule. It was a smart move though, because if they could escape undefeated their Boise Stating of the schedule would have been a success.

It wasn't, and the truth is a lot of what those programs were able to do had more to do with Texas A&M and Nebraska not being on their schedule than anything else.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

As far as SOS this looks remarkably like all of their seasons in recent memory. It's why we will probably have to tolerate those few insufferable fools on ESPN who insist that they should be in the CFP until they inevitably lose against TCU and Oklahoma. God willing they lose their concentration and fall to OK State or Rice early and spare us from the that nonsensical babbling wasting valuable air-time that could be used discussing actual contenders.

Even before this horrendous stuff happened at Baylor they just irritated the stew out of me. Now I want them to lead by 21 points in every 2nd half of every game and still suffer crushing defeats.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Art Briles breaks silence in first statement since firing

In his first statement since he was fired as Baylor University’s Head Football Coach, Art Briles said in a statement sent exclusively to News 10's Julie Hays and ESPN’s Mike & Mike that he "can only assume that the [Pepper Hamilton] report, which is not independent, supports the conclusions that the board has already drawn.”

In the statement sent Thursday morning, Briles also said he had not seen the Pepper Hamilton report, and that he is “contractually obligated to remain silent on the matter.” He admits making mistakes, but says the full scope of what happened has not been disclosed.

“After 38 years of coaching, I have certainly made mistakes, and, in hindsight, I would have done certain things differently. I always strive to be a better coach, a better father and husband, and a better person.”
Briles also addresses the victims of abuse saying, “My heart goes out to the victims for the pain that they have endured. Sexual assault has no place on our campus or in our society. As a father of two daughters, a grandfather, and a husband, my prayers are with the victims of abuse, wherever they are.”
Good lord, Art.... Of course, the report wasn't independent. It was paid by the school, which would mean it probably wasn't as bad as it could have been.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Never cared for the guy, and what he is saying (obviously written by some lawyer) isn't changing my mind.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Art Briles breaks silence in first statement since firing

Good lord, Art.... Of course, the report wasn't independent. It was paid by the school, which would mean it probably wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Anything less than flat out apology for having any part in the facilitation of these acts (no matter how much or how little he was involved) was always going to come off gauche and idiotic. In a scenario of this severity I feel it was in his best interest to stay silent unless he was willing to apologize for any part of the pain he helped create. I understand if he wasn't willing to do that right now but this just comes off wrong so it was probably best to just hush for the next 2-3 months.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Reading on other boards that former Wake Forest HC Jim Grobe has been named "acting head coach" for Baylor. Wasn't that what Arkansas did with John L. Smith several years back? We all know how that went....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Reading on other boards that former Wake Forest HC Jim Grobe has been named "acting head coach" for Baylor.
That is the case.

Wasn't that what Arkansas did with John L. Smith several years back? We all know how that went....
It is, but look at Arkansas' schedule compared to Baylor's. The 2012 Arkansas team faced 11 FBS teams. Of those 11, eight won eight or more games. The 11 opponents combined for an 87-46 regular season record. Think Baylor will have that much competition? Doubtful.

Also....

Baylor recruit Devin Duvernay may be free to sign elsewhere after NLI error

The family of top-rated Baylor recruit Devin Duvernay on Thursday told ESPN that the wide receiver is free to sign elsewhere after being told by the National Letter of Intent program that the university never submitted his NLI paperwork.

Duvernay, ESPN's No. 3 rated wide receiver in the 2016 class, had been seeking a release from his NLI following the sexual assault scandal that has rocked Baylor and cost coach Art Briles his job.

Sources with both the Big 12 and one conference school confirmed to ESPN that Duvernay did not have a valid NLI. Susan Peal, the director of the National Letter of Intent program told ESPN that she could not comment on the specific case.

According to NLI provisions, Baylor had to file Duvernay's NLI to the conference office within 14 days of the date of the final signature, otherwise the NLI would be deemed invalid.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If the NCAA has any integrity or backbone they will allow the whole 2016 class to de-commit and go elsewhere, although you could make the case that most recruits knew this was a possibility given that this situation had come to light well before NSD.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If the NCAA has any integrity or backbone they will allow the whole 2016 class to de-commit and go elsewhere, although you could make the case that most recruits knew this was a possibility given that this situation had come to light well before NSD.
I agree that they should do as you suggest. But if they do, it won't be a function of integrity or backbone. They have none of either.

It'll be a function of the direction of the wind when they pulled their collective finger out of its normal keeping place and stuck it in the air.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I feel bad for the Baylor Fans or at least the one's that comes to TideFans from time to time..Do y'all remember the Baylor Fans the came to the board when I started a thread about their brand new stadium 2-3yrs ago, they were all really nice folks, they were fun to chat college football with..I hate what they're about to deal with when it comes to Baylor Football..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.