Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns) - Page 9
Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American russtang's Avatar

Re: Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Art Briles fired)

Quote Originally Posted by barrytide View Post
    I have absolutely zero respect for Baylor. You think they would have fired him without all the news attention on this. Baylor has done all they can to cover this up. Time to pay up, hope that anyone that was assaulted by one of the "football" players sues the place out of existence. Couldn't happen to a better group of turds. They make the Lee county culters look like choir boys.
    I agree. They covered it up until they couldn't.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

I have absolutely zero respect for Baylor. You think they would have fired him without all the news attention on this. Baylor has done all they can to cover this up. Time to pay up, hope that anyone that was assaulted by one of the "football" players sues the place out of existence. Couldn't happen to a better group of turds. They make the Lee county culters look like choir boys.
    I agree, how can anyone respect this school? They would not be doing any of this if they hadn't got caught, they're just trying to save face now. IMO, the entire football staff needs to be fired, every last one of them. You know they all knew what was going on and not a one of them tried to do the right thing. Makes me sick how some schools treat sexual crimes these days and it is time for a school to pay a price so bad that it sends them to the stone age.
    Last edited by CrimsonNagus; May 26th, 2016 at 12:50 PM.

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer15's Avatar

Unfortunately, Penn State not getting the death penalty messed things up for future cases like this that warrant the death penalty.

BamaNation All-SEC alwayshavebeen's Avatar

Shame on Penn St. for not taking even more harsh action decades ago. All a bunch of sorry human beings.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That's a valid point and I'm not really sure if they did or didn't have a choice. Part of the issue with Tennessee or FSU for instance is we don't know how deep it goes. There's been some degree of cover-up and it seems to obscure enough that I'm not even sure how to compare what's gone on. We know Tennessee and FSU are both facing Title IX lawsuits, but when a school is successful at suppressing things how do we know how much is actually suppressed?

What we do know is that Butch Jones still has his job, no one was fired over the Jameis Winston abomination of justice (not saying explicitly he was guilty but there's no doubt that people acted inappropriately). We know what went on at Penn State went on for decades, without any price being paid and even then the penalty was reduced and the University has taken an alarmingly unapologetic stance. So, I'm angry about what went on at Baylor, but there's also a lot of relief to finally see some justice that isn't decades too late.
    When viewed in the context you state, I agree. There's little doubt that both UT and FSU have played fast and loose with regulations for years. There's also no doubt that had Winston been a fourth-string offensive tackle, he'd have been thrown overboard by Jimbo and the clan with the usual "we can't have the inmates running the asylum" argument.

Btw - one of my coworkers who is a Tide fan from Red Bay has a cousin on staff at FSU. She claims this cousin actually told her when the Crab Legs thing came down, "That stupid idiot. All he had to do was go in the CORRECT line and walk out with that and nobody would have known!!!"

She was serious, too.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-SEC KentuckianaBFan's Avatar

I imagine this will lead to lawsuits filed by the victims of the assaults...but what, if any, could repercussions be for Title IX non-compliance? Just Federal funding withheld (does Baylor as a private institution even get Federal funding), individuals prosecuted, or something else? The report mentions lack of actions to protect individuals'right under Title IX, just wondering what could come of that...anyone know?

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Gee, I'd hate to hear how you would feel had they made the decision to fight this and retain Briles. I guess then you would tell us all how you REALLY feel, right?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that anyone give any awards in courage or accolades to Baylor, we're just acknowledging that it's refreshing to see an institution stand up for what is right and the victims in this whole mess by holding the HC accountable for this lawless environment that was allowed to evidently go on for some time.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; May 26th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Private schools are still feeding at the government trough.
    This is discussed every now and then, but from what I understand they essentially have no choice but to do so. They basically have to meet federal requirements and accept what the federal government says they have to accept.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Gee, I'd hate to hear how you would feel had they made the decision to fight this and retain Briles. I guess then you would tell us all how you REALLY feel, right?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that anyone give any awards in courage or accolades to Baylor, we're just acknowledging that it's refreshing to see an institution stand up for what is right and the victims in this whole mess by holding the HC accountable for this lawless environment that was allowed to evidently go on for some time.
    College campuses in smaller cities are more like small towns. With all the allegations coming to light now there is no way that the administration had no clue. Knocking students out, sexual assaults, I mean multiple sexual assaults by the same player, woman troubles? nothing a little assault wont cure, coach has got your back with campus and local PD, and lets not forget the school intimidating would be whistle blowers. Then the great spin job investigation after the national media had reported it. I'm sorry we disagree, I feel there is just too much smoke to think they just caught on and did the right thing.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

They are also taking in millions in government grants and student aid.
    It's the ability for their students to access Federal student loans that gets them, like you said. But that's a thread that deserves pulling elsewhere. (I'd really love to get into the nuts and bolts of education and specifically higher education on the non-sports board.)

As for Baylor....It's a start is what I'll say. At least something is happening. It's despicable and abhorrent that the system has allowed these atrocities to go on this long but at least there appear to be the early stages of consequences.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

College campuses in smaller cities are more like small towns. With all the allegations coming to light now there is no way that the administration had no clue. Knocking students out, sexual assaults, I mean multiple sexual assaults by the same player, woman troubles? nothing a little assault wont cure, coach has got your back with campus and local PD, and lets not forget the school intimidating would be whistle blowers. Then the great spin job investigation after the national media had reported it. I'm sorry we disagree, I feel there is just too much smoke to think they just caught on and did the right thing.
    Their investigation started in the fall after Texas Monthly first reported on it, but you can continue your outrage.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

They are also taking in millions in government grants and student aid.
    I believe that's a big part of it, but basically they can't decline that even if they wish. The idea is they have to accept the students getting federal aid and by accepting them they are accepting federal aid and subject to federal requirements. I'd have to read up on it some more, but from what I understand there have been efforts to resist in the past but they won't let them not take it.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; May 26th, 2016 at 02:53 PM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Catfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Wow. The report is so damning..

Despicable misplaced priorities.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy