Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Baylor avoided random drug testing, according to book

The culture surrounding Baylor University and its football program not only affected how coaches and administrators handled allegations of sexual assault against players but also kept the university from randomly drug testing its student-athletes for marijuana and other recreational drugs -- making it one of the few major collegiate programs not to do so, according to an upcoming book about the university's sexual assault scandal.

Baylor regents had no idea that the university wasn't randomly drug testing its student-athletes until the Philadelphia law firm the school hired to examine how it handled allegations of sexual assault by students, including football players, turned up the issue. Already reeling from bad publicity around the mishandling of sexual assault cases, the lack of drug testing was another indicator of just how insular the football program had been under former coach Art Briles.

"That was my first realization that this was likely to not end up well," Baylor regent J. Cary Gray said in "Violated," which was authored by ESPN reporters Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach and will be released by Center Street on Aug. 22.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Better watch out. You're gonna trigger KillVols and he's gonna "flame your blankity blank blank" and chastise you for reviving this thread to point out a perfectly legitimate and concerning pattern of behavior.To get out ahead of him just go ahead and imagine the most vile name you can think of and call yourself that. :wink:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Wouldn't that, in and of itself, constitute a major NCAA violation?

I thought all member programs were required to implement random drug testing for NCAA athletes?
You make it sound like marijuana is bad or something. I mean all college kids do it, why punish the athletes? *

Not my view personally, I just wanted to be the first to post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
You make it sound like marijuana is bad or something. I mean all college kids do it, why punish the athletes? *
Not my view personally, I just wanted to be the first to post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure performance enhancing drugs would be a big issue, here.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Did you read the article?
I did. Part I found most interesting:

According to the book: "Another regent said there was a concern that the no-testing policy drew recruits to Baylor who wanted to smoke marijuana, and contributed to the football program's problems of 'getting bad guys.' It also kept players who had addiction problems from getting help, with one regent referencing the 2010 arrest and subsequent suspension of Baylor football players Josh Gordon and Willie Jefferson, who were found asleep in a local Taco Bell drive-thru lane and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. Multiple failed drug tests would derail Gordon's NFL career. 'We didn't do anything to help him apparently,' the regent said."

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Heard on the news.................

One of the gals who was suing Baylol, (for shall we say "lack of institutional control") regarding their failure to take her rape allegations seriously, has settled.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
Love to you all! Roll Tide! I hope nothing like this ever brings down Bama....because it is the one thing that can make it all go bye bye! Luckily we aren't amateurs like Baylor in being a successful program. Can't wait till the season starts! :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Devastating discoveries: An excerpt from 'Violated'

In spring 2016, it seemed publicly as though Baylor officials were responding to one sexual assault incident after another. Behind the scenes, attorneys from the Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton, which had been hired by Baylor to investigate the university's response to allegations of sexual assault by students, were sharing details of their investigation with the regents' three-member special committee overseeing the investigation-and it wasn't looking good.

Over the previous several months, regents had been shocked by allegations of gang rapes and the sheer number of incidents. Woman after woman said she'd told someone but nothing happened. One of the most worrisome issues-the one that led the regents to hire Pepper Hamilton-was whether anyone at Baylor knew about former Bears football player Sam Ukwuachu abusing his girlfriend at Boise State before he came to Waco, Texas. Ironically, that was decided in Baylor's favor and presented at the board's regular meeting in February 2016. School attorneys determined that no one at Baylor knew about the abuse until the woman testified at his trial in August 2015. That news, however, would end up being a tiny silver lining on a big cloud.

On Sunday, May 1, 2016, board chairman Richard Willis and regents Ron Murff, Christopher Howard, Jerry Clements, Dan Hord, Ken Carlile, Jeff Reeter and David Harper, along with Baylor attorney Chris Holmes, flew to Philadelphia, where they met up with J. Cary Gray, another regent. The group was about a quarter of the full board. The next day, they met at Pepper Hamilton's downtown headquarters.

They gathered in a large, stark conference room around a table on which attorneys Leslie Gomez and Gina Maisto Smith placed a stack of three-ring binders full of printouts of text messages, emails, interviews and other documentation. They started with a prayer. They stayed in that conference room from 8 a.m. well into the evening, listening to what the attorneys found. The attorneys reviewed about six cases, all involving football players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.